What's new

Macbook Pro looks BAD on projector (1 Viewer)

crashkup

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny B
When I use my Macbook Pro DVI out to HDMI in on my Sanyo PLV-Z60 projector, using the DVD player or straight off VOB files on my hard drive I lose all detail in the blacks and the falloff into detailless black happens quite swiftly -- in an average situation maybe 40% of the screen is black -- in a dark situation, it's almost all black. This does not happen when I play DVDs from my standalone DVD player - the Z60 looks fantastic. I've played with brightness and contrast on both the projector and the laptop to no avail. Also, going DVI-HDMI to my 24" computer monitor looks perfect.

I have the Macbook set at 1280 X 720 (Z60 native resolution) and at 60 hz.

Any idea how I may fix this?

crashkup

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny B
Yes, thanks. I have tried that. As well as the reverse. Although I found a certain amount of improvement -- I can brighten the Projector but only so much before the image is milky. No amount of calibrating has a significant effect on the black issue. This renders the computer to projector hookup unusable. I would think with 720p on the Macbook Pro there should be something better going going on here.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Why would he use VGA, when all he needs is a DVI-HDMI cable? Works like a charm.

I would check the various colorspace settings on the projector. I believe DVI uses a different one than HDMI does. Check out this thread over at AVS.

-Christian

crashkup

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny B
Thanks for the input. I was not using the mirroring. I have a separate profile for the projector display. I'm going to take a look at the link and see if there is anything helpful. I'll report what I find.

Do I have my question posted on the correct forum?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cause HDMI is voodoo =p VGA is how I would go just for flexibility if you intend to take the MBP on the road. EVERY PJ will support VGA and you wont need the 1080p out potential that HDMI brings.

crashkup

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny B
Sam, thanks for the input. It seems the Z60 is only set up to receive a computer signal with the VGA connector. The picture looks good when I go DVI-VGA. For whatever reason, it's beyond my comprehension, it is not possible to use DVI-HDMI and get a good picture. The PJ is just not set up to process a computer signal in the HDMI port.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Well, just calling it voodoo doesn't really help. The Sanyo Z60 is a home theater projector, not a business projector. In addition, VGA looks far worse quality-wise than a direct digital connection, at least in my experience.

I have the Sanyo Z5, the predecessor to the Z60 and have not come across the problem described.

Danny, do you have any other sources you connect to the HDMI port on the PJ and don't see those problems?

-Christian

crashkup

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny B
Christian, yes, I connect my DVD player through the HDMI and it looks perfect.

I am now using my computer DVI-VGA because that is the only way I can get a tolerable image from the computer.

I was told that on the PLV-Z2 it was possible to reset the HDMI port to an RGB profile and then it worked to send a computer DVI-HDMI.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Well, the Z2 actually had a DVI connector, not HDMI. It was early in the HDCP game, and as such it didn't actually work with quite a few HDMI/HDCP DVD players (I had a Z2 with exactly that problem, which is why I upgraded to a Z5).

I have to check again and see what options I have on the Z5 for the image, if I actually remember, since I only have HDMI sources connected to it at this point.

-Christian

crashkup

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny B
Christian, thanks so much. I have only had the PLV-Z60 and had heard about the Z2 second hand. If you gain any insight into whether there is a way to use a computer as a source with a digital signal I will of course be curious. I thought perhaps there would be a way to approach this from the Macbook end but if there is I can't figure it out. It seems like an oversight on Sanyo's part to not allow DVI-HDMI computer signal. Although it's not a huge one since I can use the VGA converter. Other than this issue I've been very happy with the projector.

-- Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks