What's new

MacBeth! (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Columbia Tristar is set to release Roman Polanski's version of MacBeth on the 7th of May, 2002.

According to Image's website, the film will be release OAR and OTS (Original Theatrical Soundtrack) so the image will be 2.35:1 and a mono soundtrack. Unfortunately (if Image's website is to be believed) the film will not be anamorphic.

I for one have been waiting for this title for some time, but am unhappy that they did not treat it to a anamorphic release, and with something more then just the trailer(s) as supplemental material.

One thing I vaguely remember hearing at one point was the fact that Polanski had to flee NA because of some sex charges he was facing, or a scandal of similar ilk (possible with a minor?). Does anyone know if this was true, or just my twisted mind mis-remembering things? If it is true, would this be the reason to hold back on commentaries, etc. They can be recorded else where, after all.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'd assume that MACBETH will be anamorphic, if it's a new transfer. If it isn't listed on the Image site, it's probably a misprint. The only way that Columbia would release it non-anamorphic would be if they only had access to an old LD master, and from memory the film has never been released in widescreen format on home video outside of Japan. (Do Columbia release ANY non-anamorphic widescreen titles nowadays?)

Polanski did apparently leave the States due to controversy over an incident with an underage girl. Since then, he has recorded commentaries for REPULSION (Criterion LD) and THE NINTH GATE, and participated in interviews and documentaries about his work. I can't think of why he wouldn't do one for MACBETH, unless he (a.) wasn't asked, or (b.) he had bad feelings about the project due to its proximity with the Sharon Tate tragedy.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
It has been in other threads, but I am pretty sure that the only non-anamorphic widescreen transfer that Columbia has ever released was the original Holy Grail.

I would suspect that once more detailed specs arrive, they will include an anamorphic transfer.

-Chad

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Huh, I had forgotten about the Ninth Gate... Guess that means it is time to roll it out and have a look at it again.

I saw Macbeth at a local store. The case does not indicate that it is anamorphic (but at least it is OAR). Does anyone know if this disc is really being released non-anamorphic? If so, this is yet another recent disappointment for Columbia/Tristar.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Polanski recently made a deal with the State Department and is/has returned to the US. He will undergo some penalty, but I'm sure this won't include jail time or he wouldn't have come back.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I just picked up this DVD.
There is no indication on the package or on any website that I've visited that the DVD is anamorphic.
I guess I'll know when I get home, but I'm beginning to think it's going to be a crappy looking DVD. :frowning:

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Rain can't be here today, so I'm pleased to post this on his behalf.
He called me just now, has checked his disc out at home and MacBeth is indeed anamorphic AND enhanced for 16x9 Televisions :)
Collective sigh of relief.

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so happy :) I saw this film on a VHS tape (P&S of course) when I was at school, as part of my English Literature course.
Brilliant to be able to own it in WS!!! ;)
-- J.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
This probably means it's a good time to get rid of my 16mm anamorphic print of the film. Any takers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks