Mac Users, please help me find this software

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Carlo Medina, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

New Mac convert and loving it! However I would like to find either freeware, or affordable payware, software that does this:

Image editing (primarily scaling larger images down and creating new images by combining other images--i.e. side by side combining). I suppose Photoshop is the answer but that costs major $$$.

Sound editing. I put a lot of live music on my iPod. This required on the PC side using Nero Wav Editor (part of Nero) to create manual fade in and fade out between tracks so that in Shuffle Song mode live tracks don't just start abruptly with loud applause and cut out abruptly. Nero isn't made for the Mac, and Soundtrack Pro is part of the really expensive Final Cut Studio package.

Ideally (obviously) I'd like freeware (been searching but can't find any). But I'm willing to pay up to ~$100 for it. I paid for Nero so I'm not averse to paying.

Thanks for your help!

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Carlo - Glad you are enjoying your Mac. I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but have you looked at the software listings on the Version Tracker site?

Good luck with your hunt.

- Walter.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

4. Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    Hey, welcome to the Mac!

As far as cheap image editing, for your needs I think GraphicConverter is an easy recommendation. It's a popular shareware application, and comes fully featured even if you don't pay the very reasonable price tag (though you do have to wait for a 30 second countdown screen every time you start the application.)
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11559

As far as sound editing...
    There are lots of ways to go, the simplest (once you get used to the program) is probably the freeware program Audacity.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps!

Patrick

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Gimp is wonderful if you already have Photoshop-type skills or if you're willing to learn. For a pay option, consider Photoshop Elements 4.0. I've used the Windows version and it's very, very good.

Will Picasa do what you want? If so, you might try that as well.

6. Carlo Medina

Wow, excellent suggestions, thank you all!

I'm DL'ing Audacity and Seashore right now, will give them a spin tonight.

Does anyone know if Seashore's editing is "non-destructive"? Thanks again!

And Seth, yeah if I can't find freeware, I'll probably buy Photoshop Elements from my student store, it's under $100 I believe. Do you own it? If so, it does do picture scaling/resizing right?

Thanks!

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Do you have a Windows box around? If so you can download a trial version. It's been awhile since I used it, but I feel like it probably has good resizing and scaling.

I usually use Gimp for everything. It has great resizing and scaling options and also has great options/control over creating jpg and png files.

Also, you can likely find Photoshop Elements for well under $100. I thought about buying it several months ago in a package with Premiere Elements (also a very, very good program) and I believe the package for those two programs was right around $100.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I reiterate Audacity, though it's not Universal Binary yet, as far as I know. May not be a big deal, just slower processing.

I've been hunting for freeware apps too, delaying a Photoshop purchase. I found a cool little app that does batch resizing called Photo Drop. You set up the "droplet" with the image parameters (size, compression, etc.) then drag the folder of images over it and it runs them through. The only thing is you need to create a duplicate folder of the images first as it will convert all folder contents. I used it for a quick resizing to share images via Photobucket.

9. Carlo Medina

Audacity's been real flaky on my system. I'm thinking of just waiting and doing my sound editing on the PC side for now. I tried Toast 7 titanium and that doesn't do jack as far as creating fade in/outs. While at CompUSA I messed around w/ Soundtrack Pro and that is a pretty sweet program...for $300 it better be! At that price I should just get the whole Final Cut Studio suite from my student store (2x as much but I would get the entire suite). Ugh, I hoped to not spend that kind of dough. I wish Nero made and OSX version, I love their wav editor (and how you can do multiple styles of fade in/outs.

I've gotten to know iPhoto a little better and I think I'll be using that one for a while as my image editing tool, until I can spring for something like Photoshop when it's in the universal binary form.

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

On my iMac G4, it came with a program called Sound Studio - must be free, I didn't put it there. Anyway, it is a full sound editing program and I can do fadeouts with it.
    For images, Photoshop Elements is the way to go, but iPhoto (included in Macs) has some basic editing functions, maybe that will fit the bill.

11. Carlo Medina

Sound studio may have been free to begin with, but unfortunately it's now payware. It does look like it would do the job though.

I have a license to Nero 7 though, so I think I'll just use that until an affordable, equivalent solution makes itself known to me on the Mac side. I plan to install XP on my MBP next week anyway so I'll be able to use Nero on it.