Mac question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricW, Jan 10, 2003.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

right now i have a Mac G4 at work, on which i'm running OS 8.6; i've never needed a higher OS and everything runs smoothly. however i've just been given a file that requires Illustrator 10, so it looks like i'll have to get OS X. my question is:
    while i know that you can switch easily between OS 9 and OS X, can i do the same with OS 8.6 and OS X? is there a switch in OS 8.6 that will let me restart in OS X and vice versa?

2. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Eric:

You'll want to run 9.2 with OSX. For all intents and purposes, 9.2 should be pretty much the same for you as 8.6, and will run all of your extensions and applications.

You could create an 8.6-only volume if you employ partitions, but at that point you may as well use 9.2. Having two classic System Folders is not recommended.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Eric,

Might try this in the Computer area.

4. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Upgrade to 9.2 on the Classic side. The OS X box should come with an OS 9 CD. As soon as you attempt to run a Classic application in OS, the OS will say to upgrade to 9.2.

8.6 is really old. Did you downgrade the computer when you got it? OS 9 has been out for quite some time now.

Why do you need to run anything in Classic at all? Are you a Quark user? Thats about the only thing not native in X yet ... besides Pagemaker which is dead.

5. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i got one of the first G4s when they came out on the market... never needed tp upgrade til now [​IMG] i'm one of those if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it types. i'm still on Win98 [​IMG]
    as for classic applications, i find running older versions faster than running new. will i be able to run stuff like Photoshop 4 and 6 and Illustrator 8 on OSX?
    anyways, thanks all for the info!

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Hrm, I'm not sure if Jaguar still comes with an OS 9 CD or not. The first release of OSX did, but I can't remember if Jaguar does or not.

Eric, yes, you can run the old classic applications while in OS X, but if you try running native OS X applications, you'll be surprised at the speed of the new OS. It really makes it feel like you've got a whole new computer.

Oh, I'm not sure how much RAM you have in your Mac now, but you'll probably want more. I've got 512mb of ram in each of my Powerbooks (one is a 2nd revision G4, and the other is a G3 Firewire), and they run OS X pretty well. RAM is what makes the speed difference with OS X.

7. MattJP

MattJP Agent

The above post is correct...OSX is Ram hungry...I am sporting a gig of it in my G4 Powerbook. I doubt that 10.2 comes with 9.2 in the box...as of now *if not very shortly*, new macs will only boot into OSX. Looks like apple is taking the final step to kill off OS9. Seriously though, unless you NEED quark (the adobe offering is pretty good) there is no reason not to upgrade to 10.2 (besides the enormous cost of upgrading all you software as well). That is why I switch over early, so I could upgrade to native software as it was release...made for less of a shock to the ole' bank account.

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

With the exception of Acrobat Distiller, every piece of software I use runs natively in OS X. I still know people using OS 8.6 and OS 9.1 and there's something to be said about them being more snappy for older equipment. That said, you don't need a G4 with a gigabyte of memory to run Jaguar. Sure more memory would be nice, but you can get by with 256 MB quite easily.

If you want to keep 8.6 as a bootable option for yourself, partition the drive and put OS X and 9.2 on one partition and keep 8.6 on the other. Make sure you make the 8.6 partition as small as you think you can live with...once you start using OS X and see its advantages, you'll eventually want to upgrade your software to OS X-native versions.

10. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned that Illustrator 10 works just fine under Mac OS versions prior to OS X. I use it every day.

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Eric, sorry to point out the obvious, but you could have your client save the file down from Illustrator 10 to an Illustrator 8/9 file, and work away with your existing setup. You do not need OSX in order to run Illustrator 10, and in most cases, you won't need any extras of an illustrator 10 file, and you can save it down without problems.