Mac Powerbook OS X on an iMac?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gui A, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

My brother just bought a Powerbook G4 550, and with it, he got OS X and OS 9.2 .

I have am iMac G3 450, and I'm wondering if I would be able to reinstall the OSs from his Powerbook G4 CD without too many problems.

The problem I'm anticipating is that the CD is labelled Powerbook G4 OS X. And I assume that the CD's OS has been optimized for a G4 and Powerbook... his control strip has battery life indicators, and others I can't remember right now... And I think these would cause slowdowns on a G3.

So should I stay with my OS9, or upgrade to OSX powerbook?

Thanks

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Won't work. The CDs that ship with a specific system will only boot that specific system series. The actual content of the CD is the same. There isn't a specific version of OS X for Powerbook users.

Just go out and buy a copy of OS X 10.1. Its a fantastic operating system. Plus you'll have a legetimate copy, which is always good to have.

3. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

It _might_ work, but I'm not absolutely sure. If the OS X disc is a full installer, it should work, but there is a possibility that they've included a check for which machine it's being installed on, in which case it would probably refuse to install. On previous systems (and the 9.2 installer CD might be like this) the included boot CD's were customized for the specific system they were sold with, as Don said, but I'm not positive about the OS X CDs.
    HOWEVER -
    Technically, this would be an illegal install, as it's your brother's copy of the OS, not your own. Again, as Don said, I'd highly recommend just purchasing a copy of OS X. It'll run fine on that iMac (I have it running on an original bondi blue iMac [233Mhz G3]), as long as you have enough RAM installed (128 minimum, 256 or more would be best, my iMac has 160 in it and does quite decently), it's not that expensive ($120 for the OS, as opposed to M$ asking whatever ridiculous prices [>$400?] for a full non-upgrade install of WinXP), and you'd have your own legitimate copy (handy when you need or want to reinstall for any reason).
    The OS is great, too - I'm using it on my iMac as my private webserver (at http://djwudi.dyndns.org/ - though it is currently down, as the power was cut at the friends house that's letting it sit on their DSL line until mine is installed - oops! :b) and on a blue and white 350 Mhz G3/384Mb RAM as my primary work machine. I'd highly suggest picking it up, it's well worth it.

4. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Just as I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Too bad my budget doesn't allow for an OS upgrade anytime soon. I was playing around with it on his powerbook, and it really is faster than OS9. And the DVD playback is much better too... it displays an anamorphic image (not downconverted to 4x3).

Thanks