What's new

Mac/PC Pioneer Internal DVD Burner (a.k.a Apple's "SuperDrive) only $244? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
OK, I've been doing some investigating on this, and I've come to the conclusion that I want a new "SuperDrive" for my G4, but I don't want to upgrade my machine just yet. (I'm running a dual 500Mhz G4 that is just fine for me speed wise.)
So after poking around, I saw that the Pioneer 104 internal CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW drive (a.k.a. "SuperDrive") is the exact same OEM drive that Apple uses, and is for sale separately. It will work with iDVD, Toast, DVD Studio Pro, etc. It's the same drive.
Typing in "Pioneer 104" into www.pricewatch.com shows quite a few drive dealers in California that have this drive for around $250 shipped.
Link Removed
This price almost seems too good to be true. The specs on this SuperDrive are the exact same in speed and everything as the current shipping SuperDrives.
Anyone have any info or feedback on this, because I'm about to take the plunge.... :)
P.S. For you Apple haters, this works on PCs too. :D

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The 104 does not have a Mac firmware RPC1 upgrade available. You could do it on a PC though and use it in the Mac.
I'm going to live on my RPC1 flashed DVD-RAM drive since it was included with my Mac. The 9.4GB media is cheap and can be read in my RP91 DVD player, plus it works with iDVD/DVDStudio Pro. If faster DVD-R drives come along next year I just may switch. $244 for a $1000 drive a year ago is not bad. :D

MikeM

Screenwriter
Joseph, do you have a link to this Firmware upgrade?

Even if the firmware upgrade is PC only, I'd like the link if you have it, thanks.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Mike, check out the Drive Compatibility Database at www.xlr8yourmac.com for more information. There's a wealth of information throughout the site, come to think of it.
There's a link to the firmware updates at Pioneer Australia's site in one of the reviews, but it seems that the general consensus is that the -104 drives are shipping with the newest known firmware, 1.20.
After seeing all of the positive reviews on B&W G3 installations, I might take the plunge as well. I would like to know if this drive makes use of the hardware DVD decoder in these machines, though; every machine that came after the B&W uses software decoding. I'll also need a G4 upgrade to use iDVD, but the first version of DVD Studio Pro seems to work fine with a G3 processor. Hmm...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Ugh...B&W G3's. David, I'm afraid you're living on borrowed time if you plan on doing digital video with that machine. The FireWire ports have a nasty habit of dying out on them. :angry:

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Michael, I've been doing digital video on it for over a year with a Sony TRV-120. ;)
No problems yet, thankfully. I must have bought the only perfect Revision 1 model, from the sound of it. I've never had any data corruption on my slave drive, either, and I access it all the time. My B&W was a CompUSA floor model that I picked up for $700 almost three years ago, which makes it all the more amazing.
I might have to pick up an older model Quicksilver if speed bumps are announced at MWNY, though. I snagged one of the Apple Store G4/733 QS refurbs for a terminal at work for $1000, and it's a beautiful machine. The eject button on the keyboard drives me up the f***ing wall, though.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Well, I just took the plunge and ordered one of these babies. I'll be happy to let you guys know how the install and progress goes on this. Keep you posted.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Hey all, just wanted to point out that I just received my SuperDrive as described, and wow, this thing is sweet. It was super simple to install internally, and I burned my first DVD with it (final two episodes of Politically Incorrect.).
I didn't upgrade the firmware since everything is working just fine.
For anyone thinking about taking the plunge on this drive, it's well worth the $244 price tag. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks