What's new

Mac/PC ads: Why doesn't Microsoft refute them? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The ads, while funny, seem to alternate between gross simplifications and outright fabrications. Why does Microsoft let Apple swindle its marketing base away without choosing to be a part of the discussion? Is it that arrogant? Is it that inflexible?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
My guess is that with 95% of the market, it's not worth their money. Plus, acknowledging them would give them credibility.

I haven't seen most of the ads since I pretty much only watch sports on TV; but I'm curious what you feel is fabricated.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Whenever Bill Gates opens his mouth, he does so wide enough to comfortably accommodate his own foot. Notice his recent statements that Mac exploits come out every day, yet Windows exploits appear only once a month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Microsoft has been too busy empowering its users with fuzzy-headed passion pleas while calling them walnut-brained dinosaurs to counter slick Apple ads.

What was that full "our passion" logo: "Helping you help us help you do what you want to do?" Something crazy like that.

Microsoft is genetically incapable of producing cogent ads for its business software. Forget about countering pop-culture Apple

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
My main problem with the ads is that they would be just as funny if they didn't oversimplify and possibly even misrepresent the facts. But of course it wouldn't be to Apples benefit to admit that the Windows based PC is the only sensible choice if you want to play games on your computer, for instance...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that's a larf. news about windows exploits are only RELEASED BY MICROSOFT once a month. i know youre not arguing this point, but sadly, there are those who buy into that crap.
CJ

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Hyperbole? I'm almost finished with the new Age of Empires III. It may be a year late, but I, and my extensive games folder, would disagree that the PC is the only sensible choice.

I don't really see a lot to disagree with the Mac/PC ads, though I am admittedly biased. I think the best ad that Jobs & Co. could run right now would be a variant on "Redmond, start your photocopiers" that they did a couple years back at WWDC.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I'm not talking about games that are ancient history for PC gamers, I'm talking about playing the new stuff as it comes out. I'm talking about getting your hands on Crysis as it comes out sometime this year and being able to play it, to pick what is probably the most eagerly anticipated and the largest DirectX 10 title. I'm talking about Supreme Commander, which will be out any day now, and doing some really ground-breaking RTS battling. I doubt those two for instance will ever be on the Mac, and if they are it will be at a time when PC gamers are already playing the next generation, most likely...

The PC is the only sensible choice (besides consoles) for people who want to game new titles as they come out more or less painlessly, full stop.

I'm not saying you can't game on the Mac, I'm saying that you'll always be way behind the PC on availability and probably also 3d performance/quality, so a person with gaming as a very high priority would have to be on crack to go with a Mac.

Oh, and by this criterion and by the criteria used by Apple for the ads, a Mac becomes a PC the instant it boots Windows, and thus if you're gaming using Bootcamp for instance you count as a PC gamer...

Hank_P

Second Unit
I'd like to see Microsoft have a little fun with the commercials too. Let's just have a second commercial from Microsoft following up on the one about the Webcam. The point Mac makes is that it's comes with the monitor, built in, where if you own a PC you have to purchase it seperate.

Follow up commercial:

Webcam breaks/malfunctions/doesn't work...

PC Guy: Man, I've been working my butt off for the past 2 weeks getting stuff done with video conferencing, how about you Mac.

Mac: Well, my web cam broke, and since it's part of the monitor, I had to send the whole monitor back to get looked at, they said I would be able to get back on my Mac in 6-8 weeks. So, I've been reading a book a lot. Holds his head down and walks off.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft is the leader. Anytime you're on top, you're going to have the competition try to take you down.

It's that simple. Microsoft doesn't need to couter act because it will make them look like the bully.

And of course the Mac ads are simplications of concepts that are easier on the Mac...but if you want 100% truth in advertising, then why doesn't Microsoft come right out and say Vista is shit? ;)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
As for gaming on a Mac I don't think Apple cares that much. Really how many gamers do you know who buy OEM systems? Every one I know custom built their PC so they aren't interested in buying a Mac...or Dell, HP etc.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Also, most gamers know how to use a computer. The Mac ads are geared toward 'nubes' by getting them to buy a Mac because it's easier to work with right out of the box, without a lot of computer knowledge.

That's the true basis behind these commercials. Not which is better (whatever that exactly means ;)) but which one is easier to use for someone without any real knowledge.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I had to smirk when I saw a Mac ad years ago that had a woman saying proudly "I don't know anything about computers".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
All of them. Over the years, my good friend / hardcore gamer bought high-end Falcon systems. My other friends have OEM PCs for school / work / home and play games on the side.

I believe it would help Apple in the marketplace to offer video cards suitable for gaming for the iMacs (something like a nVidia 7600 or 7900). This is the biggest anxiety I have about getting an Apple: no more PC gaming. I loves me some gaming after getting a new computer. :)

And don't forget about the great mass of people who play "leisure" games, like The Sims and Civilization, and who might don't need cutting edge hardware, but know they want to play games once in a while. And may think a Mac is no good for that.

RichP

Second Unit

Why? Because in your mind it makes you feel superior to this woman? You can chuckle at her expense because she's not the computer "expert" that you are?

99% of people in the world don't give a fig how their computer works, only that it does and does so reliably. And given those criteria, she made the correct choice by choosing Macintosh.

But that's ok, you can always comfort yourself with the understanding that you're a superior computer user when you're editing your registry or cleaning up that pesky virus. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The real issue probably lies in the fact that most games are developed for PC's and the Mac versions must be converted. I mentioned this in the other Mac thread, but Macs are powerful and they are killer when it comes to design, grpahics, HD and other high end "Art" apps, but when it comes to intense CPU/Mathematical computing, PC's have the edge.

That's why PC's are king in the games department. Macs aren't exactly built for hard core gaming (or any sort of high end 3D, period).

I guess it's like buying a sports car and wondering why it can't go off roading. PC's are built for off roading...Macs aren't.

But there again is why I love having both a Mac and a PC. They are becoming very similar every day, but there are specific areas in which one wins out over the other. You just have to decide which areas are most important to you.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Because I see nothing virtuous about ignorance. Having an "I know nothing, I pay others to know it for me" attitude is not something to be proud of.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But was she really bragging about her ignorance (I don't remember the ad)? From what you describe, it almost sounds like she saying that she was proud that she was able to work a computer even though she knew nothing about them? That's surely something to be proud of.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This may have been the case when G5, PowerPC, or Motorola 68030's CPUs battled against 486 and Pentium chips; and when Apple had its own type of video card versus PC's VESA and AGP.

But now Mac's and PC's are the same. Different soul, but same brain, organs, and skeletons.

There is no reason why a Mac can't game as well as a PC. Except that Apple has decided its customers don't want / need a GPU suitable for mid-range gaming. And even if OSX is intrinsically incapable of running games, Boot Camp would enable it...should Apple deem to sell its users a suitable graphics card.

Clearly Apple believes there's inadequate profit doing that. I (ignorantly) posit it would only help their revenues by offering gaming-suited video cards as upgrade options.

RichP

Second Unit

I suppose you fix your own automobile then? Do all of your own home repairs (appliances included)? Diagnose your own medical conditions and prescribe your own medication?

You know another attitude that's not something to be proud of? Hypocritical elitism. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread