What's new

MAC: iPod, AirPort HELP! (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Anyone know where I can find answers (to hard questions) on using an iPod, and using an AirPort with a hub?

I have a PB (ethernet), a Cube (Airport and ethernet) and iBook (airport use).

They all can surf the net fine.

I need to share files (and surf) between all 3 without having to switch between ethernet and Airport (bridging?) - is that possible?

iPod - 2 itunes playlists (on Cube and iBook) - can I synch them with each other from one terminal?

anyone with these and solutions would be appreciated.

thanks.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
These questions aren't that hard! :)
iPod - 2 itunes playlists (on Cube and iBook) - can I synch them with each other from one terminal?
Nope. An iPod will only only work with one computer. You can copy the mp3s from machine to machine by putting the iPod in Firewire Disk Mode, but then you can't listen to those mp3s. And playlists can't be transfered that way. You're running into Apple's copy protection here. Sorry.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Nope. An iPod will only only work with one computer. You can copy the mp3s from machine to machine by putting the iPod in Firewire Disk Mode, but then you can't listen to those mp3s. And playlists can't be transfered that way. You're running into Apple's copy protection here. Sorry.
I have not had a problem playing songs on the iPod in iTunes on different machines when utilizing the "Forced Firewire Mode." This is enabled by holding up and down to hard reset the iPod and then holding the left and right buttons immediately after it resets. Note: With firewire disk mode you will need to eject/unmount the iPod prior to unplugging, because it is actually operating as a hard drive.
Playlist Transfer tip:
1) You can always transfer from Mac to iPod
2) From Mac to Mac try this
a)Advanced Menu in iTunes->Export Songlist
b)Copy export file
c)Use the "Import playlist back into iTunes" Applescript to convert the list into a playlist in iTunes.
Link Removed
also take a look here for another prog that might help you out Link Removed

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I have AirPort 2.X - looks white and graphite to me.

Cube (has airport) and PB G3 are going into hub.

iBook with airport.

Airport is using dialup modem (sorry, best we got).

Hub is connected to LAN port on Airport.

Only Cube and PB can see each other in Appletalk Ethernet mode.

Planning on getting wireless card for PB, so maybe the solution for sharing seamlessly.

To talk to iBook, I have to put Cube in Airport mode.

PB cannot talk to iBook at all.

does that make sense?

do I have to specify DHCP Client ID? or port map?

I've got Airport network set using DHCP and NAT (share single IP).

ps. Airport range is very limited - I can't go further than 5m (16 feet)! Sure, next room is through a concrete wall - but Apple NEVER mentions interference in describing the 50m radius range - very misled.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Only Cube and PB can see each other in Appletalk Ethernet mode.
Use Appleshare TCP/IP sharing instead. Manually, assign the IPs for knowing which machine is which for easier access.

As for the range, you can find places with instructions for modifications for adding an external antennae. However, concrete walls are a known hazard and how it will help will vary.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
call me dumb, but where can I do this:

Use Appleshare TCP/IP sharing instead. Manually, assign the IPs for knowing which machine is which for easier access.

thanks.

oh, is this in the filesharing CP?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
call me dumb, but where can I do this:

Write down the TCP/IP setting showing up in the control panel.

Instead of DHCP choose "Enter Manually"

Take a look at the DHCP assigned address and use that as the model. I believe it's a 10.x.x.y. You will want to alter the "y" for each machine and memorize which is which i.e. .10, .11, and .12.

With airport either the wired or wireless channel is usually reserving .1-.49 for one style of connection and .5-.99 are for the other. It may be reversed.

Ex. iBook on Airport as y=.1 and cube on wired y=.51

Note: it may be the other way around and is probably in the manual.

Copy every other piece of data into TCP/IP per the stuff you wrote down. Make sure to manually enter your ISP's DNS Servers if they aren't listed under DHCP data you copied.

Now,

In File Sharing control panel click the "Enable file sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" checkbox on the "Start/Stop" pane.

In Chooser or Network Browser connect to each machine by entering the assigned IP of the machine. You will be asked for password and user name as usual. You can create aliases to the mounted drives for easier access next time around. The chooser has a "Server IP Address" button available when you click on Appleshare.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
success!

didn't have to go manual.

just typed in the given IP, and viola.

I now just use aliases.

thanks.

will now try the airport range problem - got a link for that modification?

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks