What's new

Mac-heads! Any predictions for Macworld SF?? (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Apple has been saying on their website that Macworld SF will: "blow you away" and "exceed the rumor sites".

Having said that, Apple will need to deliver. Usually Apple has been downplaying the expos.

So what do you think Steve jobs will announce? A new iMac is a pretty safe bet - most likely a flat-screen model. An upgrade to the iBook is due as well.

I think they may announce G4 chips that break the 1 Ghz barrier. Maybe G5's will be announced.

I also think a new gadget will be announced ala the iPod. Another consumer gadget to fit into the 'digital hub'. A PDA maybe? The revival of the Newton?

Any predictions? No trolling please.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'm partial to the PowerMac G5 Dodecahedron that MacOSRumors got wind of. :D
Or...mebbe not.
At this point, an LCD iMac is pretty much a sure bet. Ramped up G4 speeds breaking the 1Ghz barrier is also pretty sure. But those two things alone certainly don't merit the amount of hype that is being generated...and I've never seen Apple quite this blatant about 'something big' being in the works. I'm wondering if they managed to pull another iMac and sneak something completely under the radar of all the rumor sites...if they did, and if it's cool enough, it'll be pretty nifty to see.
But...if after this much excitement, they don't manage to deliver something really damn cool, the PR backlash could be pretty nasty. I'm just hoping they don't pull another iPod (their 'breakthrough' device that had everyone in a tizzy until they unveiled...an .mp3 player).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would think a CPU breaking the $300 barrier would be pretty big news, and amount to unprecidented sales. More speed on the high end gets old fast. Who cares if you can't afford it? What they need is a machine everyone can afford to put in their homes, or use as a second machine in the kitchen...for those recipe cards the old Mac Plus sales guy was pitching way back when...

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.... We've got a leak.
It's the "iWalk" rumored last time around. First person to port the med dictionaries/ref books to OS X gets a nice shareware payment. Just when I wanted an mp3 player they put out the iPod and now when I need a PDA I may just have an apple solution again. A PDA with OS X integration, speaks english, and appears to have a color LCD, Firewire, and Wireless capabilities=SOLD!!!!!!!!!
Link Removed

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Anyone know when the official announcement will happen?

If it indeed is the iWalk, I'll be shaking until I hear the specs.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Joseph, that is a MAJOR SCOOP!!

Steve Jobs is going to blow a gasket for this gettng out! Remember the ATI fiasco a few years ago?

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
The rumor that I heard (the article was pulled down within hours!) was that Apple had partnered with a company that made a Javaesque virtual machine interface that allowed a intel based PC to run OS X at very reasonable speeds (a 1.6 GHZ Athelon could emulate a 1 GHZ G4 or something along those lines), thus opening up Apple as an option for the PC world at large.

While the iWalk is cool, I don't think it is the type of thing Apple would hype this much. Apple NEVER hypes Macworld, and this time it's been getting a great deal of excitement brewing.

-Max

Michael*K

Screenwriter
As always, I watched MWNY keynote over at the Market Center. When Jobs was done speaking and people realized it was devoid of new hardware announcements, several of the Apple faithful were actually booing. After that debacle, I think Apple really needs to swing for the fences. I'm probably the only person not convinced that a new form iMac will be introduced. I just don't know if they've been able to get enough LCD's at a low enough price point for now. Guess I'll just reserve judgement until next Monday.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I hate to be down but whatever it is I'm sure it will be very expensive when compared to similar products and everyone will go: "huh? thats it?"

I would like to see 1+Ghz powermacs with DDR memory for $1500. But that is not likely.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
The rumor that I heard (the article was pulled down within hours!) was that Apple had partnered with a company that made a Javaesque virtual machine interface that allowed a intel based PC to run OS X at very reasonable speeds (a 1.6 GHZ Athelon could emulate a 1 GHZ G4 or something along those lines), thus opening up Apple as an option for the PC world at large.
I don't think this will ever happen. Apple makes its money from hardware sales. Why give your entire user base the option of buying less expensive hardware from other PC manufacturers?
As for the iWalk, many of the Macintosh sites have debunked the photos and video as fake. Wired News has an interesting story about this today, complete with photos.
I agree though that the hype from Apple is unprecedented. I'm thinking of skipping work on Monday to watch the webcast.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'd like to see a machine with the superdrive at a reasonable price. I hear HP is coming out in the late summer with a very affordable($699 I think) machine that will burn dvd's. As soon as that happens, I'm buying it.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
HP, I believe already has a DVD burner option (or maybe its Compaq). BUT, the interface stinks and is not as easy or as user-friendly as iDVD.

TechTV will broadcast the Keynote on Monday (the 7th) at 12PM eastern, 9AM pacific.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Prediction:

Jobs announces Apple buys Palm. Also announces 1st Palm branded as Apple. If not iWalk (which apparently has been debunked), then some other handheld pda design.

Pretty solid that a flat-panel iMac will be introduced.

1 more day...

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The consensus is that the iWalk is a fake, a pretty convincing one, but not real. Jobs has consistently said that Apple would not enter the PDA market with a palm type device so that will not happen. Anyways, the market is oversaturated and sales are not what they used to be. Tomorrow at 9 AM Pacific and 12 PM Eastern, the keynote will be broadcast on TechTV as well as Quicktime. (Unless you have a cable or dsl don't bother with Quicktime).

New iMacs, iBooks, Powermacs and a surprise device are rumored along with some new software such as iPicture (or iPhoto) for free. Lots of outside companies will be displaying new software and thingees, including stuff to use with the iPod.

Should be interesting.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I agree with you about the handheld market in general, Peter. Just look at all the slashed pricing. So, another handheld in this climate seems counterintuitive.

However, what piqued my interest was a CNET article about Palm's appearance at the conference on Monday.

Also,...

"Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away," the company's Web site proclaimed earlier this week."

"...BLOWN AWAY..." That's a helluva statement. Do you think faster speeds or even a flat-panel iMac or G5 fulfills this kind of hype. Anyway, just my wild prediction. Has anyone here, longer associated with Apple, ever seen this kind of hype?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Palm and Handspring have displayed at the previous MacWorlds as well, nothing really new I think.:)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I honestly think the only way they will blow people away will be 1Ghz+ machines for ultra cheap. Flat panel iMac...ok, that has the cool factor but blow away factor? I think not. Apple PDA? Nah...they've tried that already. Free software? Boring. Give me a 1Ghz or 1.5 and higher Ghz powermac with DDR memory, cd and dvd burner, with a wicked fast bus for $1500 (or under 2 grand) and I'll consider buying a new mac after ignoring them for years.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I hope the rumors of Apple buying Palm are false. I think that would be a bad move on their part.

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. I wonder if they will introduce something that will appeal to PC users?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Apple stock will surely drop tomorrow
...but it always does when Apple puts on a kick ass show. I really wish Time hadn't given us this early spoiler. The 2 hours slated on TechTV will definitely not be enough. :D
$1800 for an iMac w/G4, DVD Burner, and Flat Panel. Time to bring back the "Yum" slogan. (or $1299 model for the cheap folk) Looks like a Dual 1.4GHz Machine may arrive as well.
I still need an iWalk however. How about a new model Handspring before I buy a Visor Edge?? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks