1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mac hater! (spoken in Dutch accent)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Scott L, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Rocket fuel for both sides, if you're looking for such. Yes, pun intended, geeze.

from Derek Kent: "NASA recently benchmarked Apple's dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 at its Langley Research Center in Virginia. The main purpose of the tests was to compare the G5 to the G4 for 'computational fluid dynamics applications" however they also compare it to the Pentium 4. The test was well documented and concludes that "the G5 has about 22% better scalar floating point performance per clock cycle than the G4 systems tested and 32% better floating point performance per clock cycle than the P4 systems tested.' Even more interesting is that NASA's benchmarks come close to mirroring Apple/Veritest's results for SPECfp_rate_base2000. Apple's benchmark lists the dual 2GHz G5 as having a 194.5% performance advantage over a 3GHz Pentium 4."

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/g5/

Interestingly, Adobe flipped off Apple today, terminating Premier for Mac. And then AAPL stock hit a new 52-week high.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...07/bs_nf/21857

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Scott. The only point I'm making is that I HATE MACOS

I hate its inherent cuteness, I find it cloying, I can't stand it, and it does not support the projects I do to the level I need them to be

THEREFORE

What I have stated as fact remains. That I hate the things, they have annoying (at least to me) cute features and names.

I don't care if the single chip is faster. I can still grab signifigantly more computing power for the same buck on other platforms, and without having to put up Apple.

The end

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Scott H,

About that benchmark, the Mac has superior floating point performance per clock cycle, but I wonder which has superior floating point performance per dollar. [​IMG]

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Jeff go back to spankin' it to the Whed, you obvisiously have no clear idea what is going on with the Mac and MacOS X. I know that I am happy to know that you don't know shit about what you are talking about and that you don't use a Mac, as it would be such a waste of a good Mac.

5. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

6. EdR

EdR Second Unit

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

About the loss of Premiere on the Mac....who cares, all the people that I know who do video editing have switched over to Final Cut Pro or still use an Avid worstation. My friend recently built a Final Cut Pro 4 box, my god that has got to be some of the coolest and easiest software out there.

10. EdR

EdR Second Unit

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

By "The End" I meant I wasn't going to argue it any more, but I will address these final points

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

13. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

15. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

This is an interesting thread. I'm still a little confused on one of Jeff's points, however.

Early in the thread you stated "I have yet to find a way to turn off the cutesy animation." This implies that you used OSX substantially and made a reasonable attempt to turn off the animation.

But later you say you "barely" used OSX (as a confirmed Windows user, I'm in this category, too).

I guess my question is, what is a reasonable attempt? I mean, if you barely used it, did you spend 10 minutes trying to turn it off? A couple of days?

I understand what you mean about UI woes. I'm constantly explaining to friends/co-workers/relatives that the reason they have two copies of Outlook open is that they double-clicked on the Windows quicklaunch bar. I always have the same conversation with them, too!

They: "But I'm supposed to double-click to launch."

Me: "Not on the quicklaunch bar."

They: "That's stupid, why isn't it consistent?"

LOL it's whine whine whine about this or that! "Why does that stupid cutesy paperclip keep coming back?" "How come in Outlook I use 'remove' to remove someone's address from an email in the address book dialog, but the same command is called 'remove' in the email dialog? It's the same program!"

Or how about finding their PC running like crap and then finding about 8 Tons of old software sitting around -- because they thought deleting the Windows shortcut removed the program!

Anyways, I was wondering what constitutes a reasonable attempt to switch off animation if you hardly used the OS?

-j

16. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

17. Leslie W

Leslie W Stunt Coordinator

18. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

19. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Scott: Those OSX customizations are kick-ass - what are they using for that? Looks fun.