What's new

Pre-Order Mac and Me (1988) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
184357_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Click Here

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This wasn't even the worst ET ripoff; that Turkish thing was. But what is the difference between this movie selling McDonald's and Coca-Cola* and that movie selling Reese's Pieces?

And they promised they'd be back. It's been 30 years, I guess we can forget it now. :P

*Which makes it all the more interesting that this isn't a Columbia picture, since they still owned it. Even The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, which actually was a Columbia picture released the same year and also crushed under the Who Framed Roger Rabbit juggernaut, wasn't trying to sell you stuff that much.

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
While Reese's Pieces showed up in E.T., it wasn't product placement. Reese's (actually Hershey) paid nothing. In fact, Spielberg originally wanted to use M&Ms, but Mars refused permission, so Spielberg went to Reese's/Hershey, who said yes. The rest, as they say, is history — and also the beginning of product placement as we know it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
While Reese's Pieces showed up in E.T., it wasn't product placement. Reese's (actually Hershey) paid nothing. In fact, Spielberg originally wanted to use M&Ms, but Mars refused permission, so Spielberg went to Reese's/Hershey, who said yes. The rest, as they say, is history — and also the beginning of product placement as we know it.

And with Ready Player One, Spielberg is basically saying "Oh my God, what have I done?"

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The difference between the Turkish E.T. rip-off and Mac & Me is that the latter is jaw-droppingly entertaining from beginning to end. Not in the way it was intended, mind you, but it never fails to make my friends and me laugh.

Favorite scenes are the completely believable and totally unrelated to product placement dance number in the McDonald's and the fact that the dying (dead?) alien is literally brought back to life by drinking a Coke. Coke adds life, indeed.

EDIT: Ordered using the link. Enjoy the nickel or dime, Ron, and thanks for the heads-up!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Product placement goes back to the silent era. There's a Hershey's chocolate in Wings and Fritz Lang's M has a prominent ad for Wrigley's gum. It really hit its stride in the 70s, though. Have a look at the first two Superman films, Moonraker and Speilberg's earlier Close Encounters, which, in addition to numerous corporate logos, has an entire commercial play out during a scene where Richard Dreyfuss is making a replica of the Devil's Tower.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And it has Broadway's Christine Ebersole as the mother of a boy in a wheelchair. That's something you seldom see in movies then or now: differently abled people as the focus of a story, especially a fantasy story such as this.

The difference between the Turkish E.T. rip-off and Mac & Me is that the latter is jaw-droppingly entertaining from beginning to end. Not in the way it was intended, mind you, but it never fails to make my friends and me laugh.

Favorite scenes are the completely believable and totally unrelated to product placement dance number in the McDonald's and the fact that the dying (dead?) alien is literally brought back to life by drinking a Coke. Coke adds life, indeed.

EDIT: Ordered using the link. Enjoy the nickel or dime, Ron, and thanks for the heads-up!

"Hey Mommy, there's a giant teddy bear dancing on the counter!"

"Yes, dear. I know"

Yep. Totally normal behavior with clear-cut dramatic motivation. :lol:

I don't think the coke the makers were on was the kind that comes in a bottle.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
And it has Broadway's Christine Ebersole as the mother of a boy in a wheelchair. That's something you seldom see in movies then or now: differently abled people as the focus of a story, especially a fantasy story such as this.

Very true. They also used an actor who was really in a wheelchair, which is even more rare. Of course, they pretended to roll him down a hill and off a cliff, but still...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
that's debatable, i have
View attachment 46048

but then again Paul Rudd has had fun with this title over the years, best version i have ever seen.

"Mac and Me" is awful because it's so shameless - and it's ridiculously entertaining in its shameless awfulness.

I've never see "Manos" but I just can't imagine I'd be more amused by it than I am by "M&M". Only one proclaimed a special appearance by Ronald McDonald in its posters! :rolling-smiley:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Now this is a pretty fun ET ripperoonie!

f5d.gif

Mac & Me was so awful it made you wanna punch every cute small thing with big eyes that you saw that day and it included you favorite kitten the one that treats you like the king of the jungle when you get home from work.

btw, this....but still no The Pirate Movie. 1982.

giphy.gif

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now this is a pretty fun ET ripperoonie!

f5d.gif

Mac & Me was so awful it made you wanna punch every cute small thing with big eyes that you saw that day and it included you favorite kitten the one that treats you like the king of the jungle when you get home from work.

btw, this....but still no The Pirate Movie. 1982.

giphy.gif

But did it make you want to eat McDonald's and drink Coca-Cola?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks