What's new

Mabye some good news for Hobbits!! (1 Viewer)

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I checked out The One Ring.net and read a spy report about THE HOBBIT being on a year scheduler for New Line. It said filming was to start in July 2007! Oh please, oh please let this be true. Anyway, I wanted to give everyone the heads up.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I hope it's true and they can have Ian McKellan for Gandalf and Ian Holm for Bilbo.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
It seems amazingly unlikely. You'd think New Line would make a big deal out of this, since so many people want it. I wouldn't be surprised if Ian McKellen comes back, but I'd be floored if Ian Holm agreed to do the movie.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Last I heard, over a year ago, Peter Jackson did want to direct it because he knew someone would make it regardless but he wanted it to look similar to the trilogy. Also Ian McKellan said he'd come back as Gandalf if they ever made The Hobbit movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
There was supposedly some significant issues with copyrights or rights in general that made this one seem like a long time before it got settled. Does seem pre-mature for a 2007 production filming. Something would've leaked before now :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I heard the same about Peter Jackson. Also, Ian has said he would come back. As much as I like Ian Holm. I think they need to recast the role with someone younger.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps they could use Holm as the older Bilbo telling or writing about his adventures when he was younger.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I don't know. They can work wonders with makeup and CGI touch-ups to where they could make Holm look younger and be believable.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I seem to recall Holm telling horror stories about the makup they used when he had to film the early finding the ring sequences. One of the commentary tracks on fellowship.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Holm's turn in LOTR was good. But he is in no way essential to this project. I am completely against the idea. The guy is 75 years old.

Richard's idea is an excellent one.

--
H

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it. Apparently PJ has only just finished off the first draft of The Lovely Bones, and that will be going for a 2007 film date. Add to that his involvement in Halo and The Dambusters, and I think he's too busy for 2007. And, as Don said, New Line would be making a hell of a lot of noise if it were true.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that's young in hobbityears for a welder of the ring =). have you watched X-Men 3 the Last Stand? great CG in making people look young onscreen.

imho, i thought TOlkien estate is going beserk over trying to control their property from being made into films. ah well. it's funny, JRR T himself was interested in adaptations... dunno why the kids wouldn't want it. meh.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

No, that has nothing to do with The Hobbit being adapted to film. New Line Cinema has the rights to produce the film, but MGM has the "distribution" rights (weird that those two things got separated, but they did). So for the movie to be made NLC and MGM have to work something out, and the Tolkien estate has nothing to do with any of it.

PattyFraser

Second Unit

Excellent idea! I wondered if they could get away with digitally making Holm look younger like they did McKellan and Stewart in X-Men, but since we're talking about the whole movie versus a couple of minutes probably not. Your idea is an excellent alternative.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i believe there are references in LOTR to a book that records all of this history. it would make sense for a flashback. when i read the books myself, i always imagined the hobbit characters as much older even though they are short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks