Ma & Pa Kettle coming to DVD from Universal

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Drake, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Mixed in with the news of the A&C features coming from Universal is the fact that the first 4 films in the Ma and Pa Kettle series are coming on the same day (Feb 10th). No word on pricing yet or these will be double or quadruple features yet.

Classic comedy fans already have a lot to look forward to in 2004. Now if we can just get Hallmark to release properly restored and presented (ie non TV prints) of Laurel and Hardy, I'll be happy.

The Kettle collection features:
    THE EGG AND I
    THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF MA AND PA KETTLE
    MA AND PA KETTLE GO TO TOWN
    and
    MA AND PA KETTLE BACK ON THE FARM.

2. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

I have always liked Ma and Pa Kettle but I have to wonder what the quality will be like. I feel sure there was no cleanup and little hope of a review before release. Do you have any idea what sort of shape these are in? Sometimes cable channel showings can be an indicator.

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The VHS and Laserdisc copies of these films were in very good condition.

This is a one disc double sided disc with all 4 films and the MSRP is $19.95. This is according to Universals site.

This is not quite the deal the Abbott and Costello set is at 8 films for $24.95 but it is still a good deal and a must buy for me.

I hope they will do a similar release for the Francis the talking mule series.

4. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Good to know. Thanks very much.
    I second the desire for the Francis the Talking Mule series of films. I havn't seen these in years!

5. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

My local video rental store has Ma and Pa films on VHS. Randy is correct. They were in great shape.

It's great to see Universal treating their comedy libraries with respect. That's a lot more I can say for Hallmark/Artisan.

6. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Thank you for your input Paul and epecially for the original post. I'm pleased to know these are still in good shape. [​IMG] Absolutely a must buy for me.

7. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I always loved Ma and Pa Kettle. I will definitely pick these up. I agree that Francis would be a deserving series for similar treatment.