M22ti vs CBM-170

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Randall_D, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Randall_D

Randall_D Auditioning

Hey Guys,
    I am building my first HT system and searching for speakers to go all around. What do you recommend, Axiom M22ti or Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s. They need to be both musical and HT. I already have an SVS sub to cover the low end.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I've heard both of these. Great speakers from great companies.

It will come down to personal preference.

All at one time, I had the Ascend CBM-170, Axiom M22ti, Aperion 522D, and Rocket RS150 in my home for listening. You can read my thoughts here.

3. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

Curtis,

When you were comparing the bookshelf speakers, did you also get a chance to compare the subs of Axiom's and Aperion's?

TIA

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

No Ganesh....sorry.

I have a Hsu VTF-3 and just recently heard the 12 inch Aperion....never heard an Axiom sub.

Didn't get to put the Aperion through the paces, but I can say it is very nice looking.

5. Philip A

Philip A Agent

Might I suggest Dahlquist?

I have had my Dahlquist 6.1 speaker set for 1 year now and absolutely love them. A friend just yesterday couldn't believe the imaging and wide/deep (3-D frankly) sound-stage from them in 2 channel stereo. He pointed to a spot above and forward from the speakers that he could hear a percussion bell ringing. He made me switch between multiple and two channel settings on my receiver to be sure I wasn't fooling him.

Before I bought them I looked/listened to Polk, Infinity, Klipsch, and Paradigm locally. None of them were satisfactory, nor were the prices all that great. So, I started haunting forums like this and learned of the Axioms, Energys, and Dahlquists (also HTD, Ascend, etc.). More than a few people were recommending Marc H.'s help from the Audio Shop in Ottawa.

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/
    [email protected]

So, I emailed Marc and he called me back (on his dime). We talked about the Axioms and I was ready to order when I asked him about anything else in the price range that he could suggest. He mentioned that the Dahlquists were consistently being chosen over the Axioms, Energys, and Paradigms in his showroom with a/b comparisons. I was intrigued, but knew nothing of the Dahlquists. So, I worked hard to get educated and finally decided to go for it.

Marc's service, price, helpfulness were/are better than anyone I've ever worked with (local or internet). You would do well to at least talk with him.

As for HT I'm blown away--just watched Die Another Day and X-Men 1.5 (both DTS). The Dahl's just handle everything effortlessly. The surround effects on Bourne Identity in the apartment before the attack are truly eerie and seamless. In fact, my nephew who has serious Klipsch at home is visiting with his wife and her first comment was, "Wow, these are so clear." Best to you,
    Phil

Equipment:

Yamaha RX 1200 (6.1)
    Sony ES CD player (optical out)
    Xbox DVD/gaming (component & optical out)
    Sony HiFi VHS
    Dahlquist QX10's and QX60C across the front
    Dahlquist QX6's and QX4 across the back
    Monster Cable HTS2000 surge/line conditioner

6. Randall_D

Randall_D Auditioning

Thanks for the help , I will have to check out Dahlquist. I am anxious to make a purchase. I went to CC today to look at some Polks, but I realy don't know how to compare since they don't carry any of the brands I have been considering.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Randall,

Where are you located?

The Axiom board has a list of people that are willing to let you into their homes for an audition.

And you may some Ascend owners in your area as well.

8. Randall_D

Randall_D Auditioning

Thanks Curtis,
    I am located in Mobile, Al., Way down South!!

9. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Hi Randall,

Nice to see another Alabamian on the board. I have four CBM-170s and a CMT-340c center, along with a Hsu VTF-2 sub. The Ascends are great for both music and HT. Send David F. an email @ Ascend and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results!

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Ben and Randall,

I guess your respective cities are not a short drive away?

11. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

We're about 150 miles apart. Prattville is just north of Montgomery. Randall, you have a standing invitation to hear my Ascends.

12. Randall_D

Randall_D Auditioning

Ben,
    Thanks for the info. I have read lots of positive reviews on the CBM-170s, so I will most likely order this week. I will probably have to order the 170 center channel for now but I believe it will work fine. Coupled with the 25-31pci I believe it will make a nice starter system. Thanks for the help!

13. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Good choice Randall, I have the Ascend 170's as well. [​IMG]

14. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Randall,

As you listen to more a speakers and systems, I think you will find that your Ascends will be much better than a "starter" system.

Enjoy!

15. Randall_D

Randall_D Auditioning

Thanks for the help, I purchased the CBM-170s for mains and a CMT-340 for the center![​IMG]

16. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

Curtis,

A question to you again. I started off with Bose speakers. I've aperions now and I'm also getting axioms (waiting for them to come in next weekend) to compare with the aperions. So far, Bose is clearly out, I do find the aperions a little bit too much on the brighter side. From your reviews it looks like the Axioms are also bright. Did you find them brighter than even the aperions? Anyway, for my personal taste what I seem to be missing in the aperions is (apart from them being brighter than I prefer) is somewhere in the mid-bass range, when I listen to music. Somewhere below the vocal range and above what the sub picks up there seems to be a gap, a disconnect. For this, would you recommend Ascends over aperions and axioms? Would floorstanding speakers be better for what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Ganesh.

17. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

First...yes, the Axioms are brighter than the Aperions. That said, the Axioms are also fuller sounding. The Aperions sound thin in comparison. I did not think the Aperions were bright.

The Ascends are not as bright/detailed as the Axioms, but smoother, and I think they have a fuller mid-range.

What kind of electronics are you using?

18. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

I have a Denon 2803 receiver.

19. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I sold my Axioms because they were too bright. They made my ears hurt! But everyone's ears are different.

20. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Paul,

What did you end up getting to replace your Axioms?