What's new

M1 Powered iPad Pro 2021 buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw a video on YouTube last week of a college student who makes YouTube videos doing his artwork demos on a MacBook Pro and a Wacom Cintiq. He mostly does character studies in a style that’s in line with work you’d see from Pixar and other things like that. Stuff like for film production design and he’s using Photoshop as is the standard tool of that trade and in my design trade.

His video from last week was a review of the new iPad Pro 12.9 he purchasd with an Apple Pencil. A first time user. He tried it using procreate software. I’ve used that a lot for my artwork too. I was going to link it here, but it may not be of interest to too many. It was of great interest to me because he came to a similar reaction I’ve had. For digital artists and designers and others in similar fields, the iPad Pro is a fantastic tool as a mobile art studio. I’ve not gone back to my desktop to use my Wacom Cintiq. I really like the procreate and Autodesk Sketchbook apps for creating art and sketching and doing renderings!

I’m still on the fence to upgrade since my iPad Pro 2 and 3 are still working for me, but it’s mighty tempting and perhaps time to retire the iPad Pro 2. Though it’s still the one I use daily.

Someday soon, it would be interesting if Apple made a device, iPad or MacBook combo that directly can compete with the Microsoft Surface.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I remember back in 2010 how mobile Safari in the first iPad didn’t work fully on many websites. But as the number of iPad users grew very quickly, the websites finally made things work for the mobile users! There’s still a few holdouts for Adobe Flash like the startrekhistory website.

I noticed recently the word editor on the HTF finally works to allow me to edit the type to italics and bold when making a post. For a while it didn’t work on the iPad Pro.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was going to link it here, but it may not be of interest to too many.

I’m still on the fence to upgrade since my iPad Pro 2 and 3 are still working for me, but it’s mighty tempting and perhaps time to retire the iPad Pro 2. Though it’s still the one I use daily.

Someday soon, it would be interesting if Apple made a device, iPad or MacBook combo that directly can compete with the Microsoft Surface.

yes please post it. I’m no artist but I love seeing videos like that.

see the Surface comparisons always confuse me. The last sales figures I see the surface numbers look like what iPads sell in a day. I don’t think Apple things -at all- about how to compete with Surface. Surface is better thought of a MBp competitor and Apple laps them on both. What would competing with surface even mean, running MacOS? I am on record as saying that looks inevitable but for me unnecessary.

I remain confused at the constant painting of me as trying to convince anyone else to use an iPad for productivity. Time and time again all I have said is that those who claim it is impossible are wrong and people like me are doing it today.

It may not be to your taste. It may not be the form factor you want. It may not run the apps you want. But there is no task you cannot accomplish productivity wise, and no websites that it cannot get to and work with.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In regards to the Surface, I’d seen a lot of people use them at work. And it includes a stylus. Not sure how good an experience it is trying to draw on one of those. But I figured the iPad Pro could out-do the Surface! I suppose the drawing experience wasn’t there because my colleague just drew something on paper and took a photo to email it out when I can sketch right in the iPad Pro and email it out.

The iPad Pro can do all the Microsoft application now, I can use my work account and add the applications. I did try MS Word. I recently added Microsoft Teams since we use it at work for meetings. That surprised me that it works, though I haven’t tried it in a meeting yet, just installed it and could see my calendar there and all the meetings and chats.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
In regards to the Surface, I’d seen a lot of people use them at work. And it includes a stylus. Not sure how good an experience it is trying to draw on one of those. But I figured the iPad Pro could out-do the Surface! I suppose the drawing experience wasn’t there because my colleague just drew something on paper and took a photo to email it out when I can sketch right in the iPad Pro and email it out.

The iPad Pro can do all the Microsoft application now, I can use my work account and add the applications. I did try MS Word. I recently added Microsoft Teams since we use it at work for meetings. That surprised me that it works, though I haven’t tried it in a meeting yet, just installed it and could see my calendar there and all the meetings and chats.

Yep, I use Teams, Zoom, Webex, Office 365 and a ton of other stuff like that too. The corporate stuff is coming along, the pandemic really pushed them to make the experience better. I'm not saying it's perfect, my use is more personal than corporate, but the only real thing stopping more of it has been BYO policy and ties to 2FA that aren't much available on MacOS either, totally PC locked.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Our company switched from Webex to Teams just recently. For sure the pandemic had us using all these communications tools. Slack too!

I had to look up a few things. BYO was what I thought, but you’re saying companies are not supplying iPad Pro’s to employees? I suppose that depends on the company. 2FA, two factor authentication. We use Duo Mobile. It’s cool when when I get the ping on my Apple Watch and I can approve it on the watch instead of on my iPhone.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It seriously cracks me up that the idea of using an iPad pro for productivity seems to actually offend you guys. It says way more about you than it does the product.
How I understand you on this topic and what you think you’re saying are very different. This obviously cuts both ways.

So, I’m done on the matter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
How I understand you on this topic and what you think you’re saying are very different. This obviously cuts both ways.

So, I’m done on the matter.

msi what you -think- I believe is very different from what I say in this thread? Yeah that’s fair and rational. Ok then…. Still not a single website listed that doesn’t work today on mobile safari.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks Like strong improvements to files:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sooo, I just made a pretty large sale on Ebay today of personal items.

With the money I just ordered a 12.9" iPad Pro (256GB WiFi only) and a black 5th Gen Magic Keyboard.

The iPad won't be here for another 4-6 weeks.

It is my hope to use the keyboard and try to work out any issues I previously had with using the iPad as a laptop replacement. If I can successfully do that, I can take my iPad on the road to do work rather than lug around the laptop.

One of the biggest problems I remember is not knowing how the file system works and where downloaded material goes? I also need to see if Safari can now do a perfect cut and paste with images from any source for the HTF work I do.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looking for photo software to mostly brighten indoor photos and do some light editing as well as changing the size of the pixels when you don't want to upload a full-rez image to a website.

I don't want to pay a subscription for Adobe products. However, it seems Lightroom is free to use as long as you don't need to sync to other devices -- which I certainly don't need to do.

Anyone using free Lightroom and have thoughts on it? I am also up for any recommended budget photo editing software that comes in at a $50 or less price tag for a single purchase.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looking for photo software to mostly brighten indoor photos and do some light editing as well as changing the size of the pixels when you don't want to upload a full-rez image to a website.

I don't want to pay a subscription for Adobe products. However, it seems Lightroom is free to use as long as you don't need to sync to other devices -- which I certainly don't need to do.

Anyone using free Lightroom and have thoughts on it? I am also up for any recommended budget photo editing software that comes in at a $50 or less price tag for a single purchase.
There are a couple of affordable, well reviewed photo / image editors. Affinity and Pixelmator come to mind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sometimes I don't think things through...

Ordered M1 iPad Pro through Apple wait 4-6 weeks.

Order from BestBuy and I have it shipped to receive by Tuesday.

So, Apple order canceled, and hello BestBuy!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_1309.jpeg

Just arrived! Best Buy got it to me in one day (they projected 4 days). Much better than 4-6 weeks from Apple.
Now time to play!

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Which one is that? The 11” or 13”?

Got to an Apple Store this afternoon for a little browsing. Took a quick look at the 13” iPad Pro with keyboard. It’s just so giant! I both envy it and know it would not fit my life. It would be fine for around the house (couch computting). But too big for bed use. And wouldn’t fit my travel satchel for on-the-go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexisMori
Recent bookmarks