What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's not been a single website I have had to deal with ever that has issues with safari. I would be interested in seeing an exhaustive list.

As always, a lot of those can'ts are "I don't wannas". Maybe the interactions don't feel natural to you, but they exist and work well if you learn to work -with- them and actually embrace things like the magic keyboard.
I feel like you're arguing disingenuously. You certainly don't believe this yourself. You haven't given up your videogame consoles to play games exclusively on the iPad. You haven't given up your computers and laptop to compute exclusively on the iPad. You haven't given up your home theater gear to watch content exclusively on the iPad.

Because like us you know that the iPad is not categorically an adequate replacement.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I feel like you're arguing disingenuously. You certainly don't believe this yourself. You haven't given up your videogame consoles to play games exclusively on the iPad. You haven't given up your computers and laptop to compute exclusively on the iPad. You haven't given up your home theater gear to watch content exclusively on the iPad.

Because like us you know that the iPad is not categorically an adequate replacement.

I've never said that I would. There's nothing in the world that does everything. If you want a desktop replacement then the MBPs arent a great idea either. I don't game on any Mac and play 1.5 games total on my iPhone. The iPad Pro is a travel productivity tool, and in that role it fits perfectly. Mail, document editing (PDFs, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations alike), light video editing and heavy photo editing. If I had any artistic talent the pencil would replace that for me too, but I don't.

Still: Give me a website that doesn't work on safari. Any website, please.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
You haven't given up your videogame consoles to play games exclusively on the iPad. You haven't given up your computers and laptop to compute exclusively on the iPad. You haven't given up your home theater gear to watch content exclusively on the iPad.

I believe what he was saying is that Safari for iPad is an adequate replacement for a PC- or Mac-based Web browser, rather than comparing iPads to computers or other kinds of devices, as a whole.

My iPad is not new enough / running a recent enough version of iOS/iPadOS for me to comment on Safari's completeness on that platform. However, for some time now, I have notikced that FireFox for macOS has serious printing / print to PDF formatting problems that do not exist in the latest Safari for High Sierra. Assuming that Safari for macOS Big Sur and Safari for iPadOS share a lot of code behind the scenes, it seems plausible that Safari for iPadOS might be mature enough to serve as a person's main Web browser.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The iPad Pro is a travel productivity tool, and in that role it fits perfectly.
As would an updated version of the 12" Retina MacBook Pro. Keep the weight at 2 pounds; the excellent battery charge life; and the fast recharge. Then add a M1, two USB4( TB3 ) ports in place of one USB-C one, and a scissor-mechanism keyboard,

That would fit nicely between the 1-pound 11" iPad Pro and the 3-pound 13" MBAs and MBPs. Even this 2015 model based on a low-end ultra-mobile Intel CPU, with "only" 8 GB RAM, is very responsive for travel productivity & entertainment, so a M1 version that was basically a "M1 Air Mini" would certainly be suitable for task.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As would an updated version of the 12" Retina MacBook Pro. Keep the weight at 2 pounds; the excellent battery charge life; and the fast recharge. Then add a M1, two USB4( TB3 ) ports in place of one USB-C one, and a scissor-mechanism keyboard,

That would fit nicely between the 1-pound 11" iPad Pro and the 3-pound 13" MBAs and MBPs. Even this 2015 model based on a low-end ultra-mobile Intel CPU, with "only" 8 GB RAM, is very responsive for travel productivity & entertainment, so a M1 version that was basically a "M1 Air Mini" would certainly be suitable for task.

but that MacBook doesn’t have
The games
The screen
The touch UI

that the iPad does nor can it be detached from its keyboard.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
but that MacBook doesn’t have
The games
The screen
The touch UI

that the iPad does nor can it be detached from its keyboard.

The iPad Pros do not have macOS. A 12" Apple Silicon rMB would.
A 12" Apple Silicon rMB, like M1/Big Sur Macs, could run some iPadOS apps.
Current M1 iPad Pros, as things stand, cannot run macOS apps.
The 12" Intel rMB has 2304x1440 pixels.
Nobody would mind if Apple made that 2560x1600 (vs. 2388x1668 for 11" iPad Pro).
Touch is not the be-all and end-all of everything. Nor is a detachable keyboard.
But if it was for you, you could still buy the 1-pound, 11", iPadOS-based, iPad Pro.
(Or the 1.5-pound, harder-to-handhold, 12" iPad Pro.)
A 2-pound 12" Apple Silicon rMB would be an additional choice.
Lighter than a 3-pound 13" M1 Retina MacBook Air, but nearly or just as powerful.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The iPad Pros do not have macOS. A 12" Apple Silicon rMB would.
A 12" Apple Silicon rMB, like M1/Big Sur Macs, could run some iPadOS apps.
Current M1 iPad Pros, as things stand, cannot run macOS apps.
The 12" Intel rMB has 2304x1440 pixels.
Nobody would mind if Apple made that 2560x1600 (vs. 2388x1668 for 11" iPad Pro).
Touch is not the be-all and end-all of everything. Nor is a detachable keyboard.
But if it was for you, you could still buy the 1-pound, 11", iPadOS-based, iPad Pro.
(Or the 1.5-pound, harder-to-handhold, 12" iPad Pro.)
A 2-pound 12" Apple Silicon rMB would be an additional choice.
Lighter than a 3-pound 13" M1 Retina MacBook Air, but nearly or just as powerful.

Agreed. Touch capability and detachable keyboard do not drive me towards an iPad.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Here's a further idea on how Apple could expand, and simplify the marketing of, their Mac notebook lines.

(Suggestion to divide laptops into 12"/14" rMB Airs and 16"/18" rMB Pros.)
I have relocated the more detailed original post to the M1 Mac thread in the interests of keeping things better organized. – Tom)

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It seriously cracks me up that the idea of using an iPad pro for productivity seems to actually offend you guys. It says way more about you than it does the product.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It seriously cracks me up that the idea of using an iPad pro for productivity seems to actually offend you guys. It says way more about you than it does the product.

Sam,

It's not that we are offended. That's absolutely not the case and kind of sad that you make that kind of accusation.

You have been on some crusade here to keep pushing the hardware like it's the "end all" and those of us that don't enjoy using it as a desktop are wrong for feeling that way.

I can sit here today and point out article after article from people who still don't think the iPad is a suitable laptop replacement.

Then there are others, like yourself, who feel it is and is happy with it.

I just don't understand why those of us who don't want an iPad as a desktop replacement can't come out and publicly state that without being taken task.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
It doesn't offend me. The idea that some people would use an iPad Pro as their main productivity tool, that is. I'm familiar enough with iPads to see where that is feasible now, and also well-aware of how personal computing developed from the early 8-bit days to where things are now.

Companies who tried to protect their minicomputer businesses by fighting/ignoring PCs, rather than adapting, didn't fare too well. I fully expect that iPads will continue to displace PCs/Macs to some extent … and that iPhones and iWatches and such may, in time, displace iPads in the same way.

But each technology has its strengths and weaknesses, and just because you prefer iPads does not mean that everyone does, or that MacBooks are suddenly worthless. I'll note that mainframes and minicomputers are still around, even if their roles have changed. Also, the shifts to "cloud" computing and to rental ("subscription") models for software are, in a way, a modern return to parts of the old timesharing model.

My suggestions RE: MacBooks are aimed at making things better for customers who like traditional notebooks (in a way that would make sense for Apple). They are not aimed at undermining iPad Pros for customers who prefer those.

If you have ideas as to how to make the iPad ecosystem better for iPad customers, feel free to share them and to help fill in that part of the jigsaw puzzle.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You have been on some crusade here to keep pushing the hardware like it's the "end all" and those of us that don't enjoy using it as a desktop are wrong for feeling that way.

I just don't understand why those of us who don't want an iPad as a desktop replacement can't come out and publicly state that without being taken task.

never once have I said it’s the end all. In fact I think I’ve pointed out again and again where it’s deficiencies are. All I have said is that it works for me and you guys who don’t believe it and don’t own one keep coming into the the thread to shit on the idea that it really does work for those of us who actually own one and use it for production tasks on a daily basis

I really don’t think I’m the one being unreasonable here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
never once have I said it’s the end all. In fact I think I’ve pointed out again and again where it’s deficiencies are. All I have said is that it works for me and you guys who don’t believe it and don’t own one keep coming into the the thread to shit on the idea that it really does work for those of us who actually own one and use it for production tasks on a daily basis

I really don’t think I’m the one being unreasonable here.

Well, I have owned one (just recently sold it) and can say first-hand, it did not work as a desktop replacement for me. So, I can give a real-world experience that for my needs it's more cumbersome to use than a laptop. In fact, I am still debating whether to buy the M1 iPad because quite frankly, it doesn't meet my needs outside of being a great device to read content and watch movies on.

If there is thread shitting going on, it comes from both sides, so please be fair. I was taken to task for saying months ago that the iPad was not a suitable desktop replacement. That is an opinion still shared by many -- especially in light of the latest WWDC presentation. However, that was my opinion I was stating and I got taken to task for it.

If it works for you, I have no reason to disbelieve it. In fact, I personally have never said I disbelieve that the iPad meets your needs.

I'll agree there is a constant tug-of-war going on in this thread where if someone dares say the Macbook Pro works better for them than an iPad the other side responds with an opposing opinion. However, these are opinions being expressed out of individual needs and usage. For instance, you and I have two completely different workflows where an iPad works great for you but it doesn't for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jesus dude nobody has ever said it’s a desktop replacement.

I just know that when I suggested that the iPad Pro was not a desktop replacement, you took me to task for it.

Sam, you are taking this way too personally.

I am going to bow out because it's only going to get worse.

So, I am just going to try and walk the straight-and-narrow path with my opinions moving forward because the exchanges in this thread are escalating to a level where they should not be.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That’s not what you said:

I have said this too many times before.

The iPad is not a replacement for a computer ..

... not yet.

it absolutely is a mobile computer replacement. No laptop is a desktop replacement -for me- but I’d never think of demeaning those for whom it is, like you.

Again, I’m not the one who keeps coming into OWNERS threads to tell owners they are wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That’s not what you said:

it absolutely is a mobile computer replacement. No laptop is a desktop replacement -for me- but I’d never think of demeaning those for whom it is, like you.

Again, I’m not the one who keeps coming into OWNERS threads to tell owners they are wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Sam,

You are twisting my words.

The iPad does not comfortably replace a desktop or laptop OS (same thing) for many people. That is what was I suggested based on my experience and that is what you took extreme offense to.

I would suggest before this thread gets shut down that we leave the conversation where it is and move forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks