What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
iPad and 2 Apple TV’s on the way

Congrats!

Remarkably, I stood down and bought nothing.

I took all that money I was going to put into the iPad Pro and put it aside towards the upcoming M2 16" Macbook Pro.

I don't use my iPad that often. I have the largest iPhone Apple makes and it's perfect for reading magazines which is basically all I did on the iPad.

If I wasn't retired, I would have bought and thought nothing of it. Now retired, I have to justify everything I buy. Sad.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
1 Apple TV for me I needed it for the new OLED LG in my new room. The living room ATV will just get a new remote, I did thee new 12.9 iPad with 2 tb and a white magic keyboard.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Spicy @Dave Scarpa !

compelling:

So, I am hoping that I understand this correctly as I had my own revelation while watching this...

For years, you have had people screaming about wanting a Macbook Pro with a touchscreen. We all knew that was never going to happen and that the iPad was going to remain Apple's touch device.

But slowly, with laptop and iPad becoming one with M1 chip support, it now seems like Apple's future plans COULD be to either phase out their notebooks completely in favor of the iPad which will be just as powerful and offer touch support -or- still offer both.

However, my biggest complaint has always been that I don't care for mobile software platforms when doing desktop work. If I also understand this video correctly, Apple will be offering a huge revamp on iPad OS this fall (announced at WWDC) which may finally close the small gaps that still separate Mac OS and iOS. In other words, as stated above, you can truly do EVERYTHING on an iPad that you could on Mac's desktop devices both in software usage and with external hardware hookup thanks to Thunderbolt.

My only question is whether Apple is ready to kill their laptop line in favor of making the iPad the singular powerhouse workhorse which, essentially, could be thanks to the chips the company has developed.

Thoughts?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It’s all speculation.

As you know the iPad does everything I need it to today and I consider these demands to be mostly in the noise. If the iPad can’t run macOS or if macOS apps can’t run on iPad it doesn’t get me anything I don’t have already.

I personally don’t see the OSes merging to one just yet. I suspect we will see parallel OSes for a long time. But if a major iPadOS revamp brings more love to the platform I’m all for it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It’s all speculation.

As you know the iPad does everything I need it to today and I consider these demands to be mostly in the noise. If the iPad can’t run macOS or if macOS apps can’t run on iPad it doesn’t get me anything I don’t have already.

I personally don’t see the OSes merging to one just yet. I suspect we will see parallel OSes for a long time. But if a major iPadOS revamp brings more love to the platform I’m all for it.

I think we are both in the same mindset as far as this is concerned.

Imagine your laptop being an iPad. That makes a lot of sense. It's so slim it fits anywhere. You simply attach it to a keyboard or plug it into an external monitor and you are good to go.

I hope we get there and the software should be further refined to the point where people like myself won't mind giving up a traditional laptop forever.

Thanks for sharing that video. It got me thinking.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What he said! Yes, when the new iPad Pro M1 was announced, I was thinking this could be it. It could be the time we will see the desktop applications eventually becoming available on an iPad. I can see Ron’s point of view of the mobile OS being an impediment. I saw the same thing mentioned in the video, with Adobe becoming more and more invested in iOS.

I wasn’t aware of a new iOS coming, so I’ll be interested in seeing what that brings.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“The iPad Pro is a killer machine but its software is killing me”

compelling:
<some youtuber>...
“Why is no one talking about....?”

Sure, no one is talking about this, except for everyone’s been talking about it. :rolleyes:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Right now, iPad OS lags iPad hardware by several years. It’s very far behind as an OS compared to where Macintosh OS and Windows were at this point in their life. Apple has shown for a decade that IPad software is not a priority and is very slow, and arguably, struggles to figure out what a touch-first, professional-capable OS looks like.

What’s the point of an M1 — an intel i9 and beyond caliber CPU SOC — without supporting OS? What’s the point of a studio-quality, reference-capable “XDR” display without studio-quality video production software, that is Final Cut?

Maybe 2021 WWDC is when Apple shows incredible leaps forward in iPadOS. Maybe they’ve got the story for why the iPad Pro is “Pro” and what the M1 and XDR display do...besides playing Apple Arcade games and watching Netflix?

This is what I’ve been hearing the past week or two in the podcasts. Everyone sees the obvious hardware power. But Apple has not yet shown the interest or ability to make these “Pro” machines on par with a MacBook Pro of iMac.

As for me...I use the iPad to post nonsense on forums and watch cat videos and run my recipe software. All i really want is improved OS to support better multitasking so I can watch cat videos as I cook and post about it on forums. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To steal from Jason Snell on the Upgrade podcast, the iPad will have arrived as a fully-realized computer when an iPad can be used to develop iPad software.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
While it may not become obsolete as the device is, I am confident that it won't support what is to come due to M1 compatibility.

As for me...I use the iPad to post nonsense on forums and watch cat videos and run my recipe software. All i really want is improved OS to support better multitasking so I can watch cat videos as I cook and post about it on forums.
I’m with Dave on this. I surf the web, read mail, post on HTF, Facebook, and I may get into using Affinity for photo editing. As long as I can do that, this ipad will work.

BTW, I thought computers were supposed to get better and cheaper? Doesn’t seem true with Apple.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They keep getting better, with kinda constant price from Apple.

$329 iPad is the best bargain in computing, I maintain.
When I bought my Pro I think I spent around $1K. It was top of the line. Now top of the line is 2K. I just checked out the iPad and noticed the mini ipad costs more than the bigger regular ipad.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
When I bought my Pro I think I spent around $1K. It was top of the line. Now top of the line is 2K. I just checked out the iPad and noticed the mini ipad costs more than the bigger regular ipad.th
Yes – but they keep making the top of the line a lot better. You might be able to get a lower-level model for much cheaper than $2K that still improves on old top of the line models.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I bought my Pro I think I spent around $1K. It was top of the line. Now top of the line is 2K. I just checked out the iPad and noticed the mini ipad costs more than the bigger regular ipad.
That’s because they’ve increased where the top-tier can go, by tremendously increasing the storage capacity.

I bet if you compare like specs, the new one is cheaper that yours was.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Every year like clockwork
It took me a couple of days to realize what you meant. I wasn’t getting what you were saying, that every year a new iOS is released like clockwork.

I was referring to the inference from an earlier post that I wasn’t aware of a potentially new iOS coming that could bring it closer to the Mac OS. Of course, that’s probably just speculation. It would be very exciting news. But thinking about it now, the same iOS would have to work on the non-pro iPads too I’d think. That wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks