What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They all are except for Logitech. Logitech is the only third-party that uses Apple’s smart port (on the newer iPads).

So if you want a keyboard and don’t actually need / want it integrated into a case, any BT keyboard can do the trick.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is a problem that happens just often enough to be irritating. I touch the screen and there’s no response. It’s frozen. If I sweep up from the bottom to reveal the home screen, tap on the icon for the same app, and the screen responds. It’s not isolated to a particular app. It’s irritating. Since the swipe up works, the screen itself is not frozen. Why does this happen?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is a problem that happens just often enough to be irritating. I touch the screen and there’s no response. It’s frozen. If I sweep up from the bottom to reveal the home screen, tap on the icon for the same app, and the screen responds. It’s not isolated to a particular app. It’s irritating. Since the swipe up works, the screen itself is not frozen. Why does this happen?

Johnny,

If this is an issue, you are still covered under warranty, and you should take it to an Apple Store. If it's a hardware issue it can be replaced.

I would suggest the following, though something tells me you have already gone over this:

1. Make certain you have the latest OS update (Settings -> General -> Software Update)
2. Simply shut down your iPad (Power and volume button press) and restart it. Sometimes these devices get into a funk and doing a simple power down/up fixes the issue.

Let us know what happens moving forward

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... don't see an M2 iPad Pro thread, so is everyone just so happy w/ the M1 version and skipping the M2?

I'm looking now largely because Target is running a somewhat tempting sale today (only) on the 11" M1 iPad Pro... although the 256GB version was sold out (pretty quickly I guess). Not sure the savings is tempting enough to go w/ the M1 version over the M2 -- it's basically just ~$100 diff vs getting the M2 version from B&H after factoring the sales tax diff (since I can save the sales tax from B&H).

Also, didn't realize the screen is lower quality on the 11" version... hmmm...

And finally, anyone tried running Windoze on an M1/M2 iPad Pro here? That potential/ability definitely interests me and would likely sell me on a 13" M2 iPad Pro instead...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The reason there is no M2 iPad Pro thread...

Most of us who would have bought the M2 already own the M1 iPad Pro.

This year's M2 release was basically a dud as was the newly released iPad lineup across the board.

Outside of a faster processor and an Apple Pencil "hover" feature, there wasn't anything enticing for those of us that owned the 2021 model. So, we all saved money and vowed to wait for the next iteration.

Why on earth would you want to run Windows on an iPad? If you want to do that, just buy a Microsoft Surface Pro instead. The idea of having an iPad is to use iOS.

As far as an M2 Macbook Air is concerned...

That's a common, difficult choice many consumers have to make. iPad Pro or Macbook Air.

Do you have a laptop already? If you don't, and it was me, I would go with the Macbook Air. It's super light and easy to travel with. It just doesn't support touchscreen functionality.

On the other hand, you could buy the M2 iPad Pro and a Magic Keyboard ($349) or Logitech Combo ($200) and mostly have a viable laptop. I say "mostly" because in the end, for laptop purposes I think nothing beats an actual laptop but you can certainly make the iPad Pro into a workable one and have the best of both worlds.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Also, didn't realize the screen is lower quality on the 11" version... hmmm...
The 12.9-inch one has a miniLED-backlit screen "with 2596 full-array local dimming zones", which is supposed to be able to deliver greater contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content.

It also weighs about a half-pound more, and requires a larger battery (40.88 watt hour versus 28.65 watt hour) to get similar battery life – probably in part to power the nicer screen.

And finally, anyone tried running Windoze on an M1/M2 iPad Pro here? That potential/ability definitely interests me and would likely sell me on a 13" M2 iPad Pro instead...

Before your post, I hadn't heard of anyone running Windows (for ARM) on a M1/M2 iPad.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Interesting thread. I’m running an M1 11” with 512 GB, and over 400 free.

On the Mac side, while I used to run Mac Pros to handle my 4k editing needs and photo software, I’m finding that with the new M chips, I’m able to pare down to a 24” iMac M1 with top specs.

All of this runs with 3 RAIDS hovering in the background.

If I need a cellular connection on the iPad, I use my phone.

And connecting between the iPad and iMac works beautifully allowing me to open anything from the iMac on the Pad, inclusive of video files.

The Appleverse is working beautifully for my needs.

When the Studio arrived, I thought I might have to break down and go that route, but thus far the iMac 24 is doing the job.

Hardware is changing rapidly. Last week I upgraded my son’s (probably five year-old) iPad to the M2, with the magic keyboard, and he’s loving it as an almost laptop replacement.

If I could now figure out how to access Files on my Apple Watch, I could run films - with a huge magnifier. Which would mimic the late 1940s TVs. Only mit Color.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The reason there is no M2 iPad Pro thread...

Most of us who would have bought the M2 already own the M1 iPad Pro.

This year's M2 release was basically a dud as was the newly released iPad lineup across the board.

Outside of a faster processor and an Apple Pencil "hover" feature, there wasn't anything enticing for those of us that owned the 2021 model. So, we all saved money and vowed to wait for the next iteration.

Why on earth would you want to run Windows on an iPad? If you want to do that, just buy a Microsoft Surface Pro instead. The idea of having an iPad is to use iOS.

As far as an M2 Macbook Air is concerned...

That's a common, difficult choice many consumers have to make. iPad Pro or Macbook Air.

Do you have a laptop already? If you don't, and it was me, I would go with the Macbook Air. It's super light and easy to travel with. It just doesn't support touchscreen functionality.

On the other hand, you could buy the M2 iPad Pro and a Magic Keyboard ($349) or Logitech Combo ($200) and mostly have a viable laptop. I say "mostly" because in the end, for laptop purposes I think nothing beats an actual laptop but you can certainly make the iPad Pro into a workable one and have the best of both worlds.
Interesting thread. I’m running an M1 11” with 512 GB, and over 400 free.

On the Mac side, while I used to run Mac Pros to handle my 4k editing needs and photo software, I’m finding that with the new M chips, I’m able to pare down to a 24” iMac M1 with top specs.

All of this runs with 3 RAIDS hovering in the background.

If I need a cellular connection on the iPad, I use my phone.

And connecting between the iPad and iMac works beautifully allowing me to open anything from the iMac on the Pad, inclusive of video files.

The Appleverse is working beautifully for my needs.

When the Studio arrived, I thought I might have to break down and go that route, but thus far the iMac 24 is doing the job.

Hardware is changing rapidly. Last week I upgraded my son’s (probably five year-old) iPad to the M2, with the magic keyboard, and he’s loving it as an almost laptop replacement.

I am still only a Windoze-only user on the general computing side and just haven't gone w/ an iPad for myself (again) since the earlier days of such tablets -- for me, the larger smartphones these days are mostly good enough for most mobile needs... even though larger screens would certainly be appreciated for most websurfing.

The M1/M2 chips being as powerful as they are have opened up far more possibility for useable Windoze support in a dual-OS/platform config, which has always been an enticing proposition to me. Heck! Back in the day (in the early-90's), I even loved the idea of alternately running NextStep, which eventually became a major, core part of the basis for MacOS, on my 1st i486 PC -- my 1st job out of college included sys admin and dev work on Intel-based System V Unix before NT came out. Never actually got around to running Linux though.

So yeah, my interest in potentially running Windoze on an iPad Pro may not align w/ most users' (likely more mainstream/standard) goals/purposes. But no, I wouldn't want to get an iPad Pro to run Windoze fulltime or even a majority of the time -- I'm sure it's not reliable enough to use that way even if it would be more powerful than any similarly priced Intel-based options.

And no, I don't currently have a laptop, so this would serve as tablet+laptop. I'm considering this because I probably don't really need a real laptop -- and honestly, I don't really like using laptops anyway, so most of their advantages over an M1/M2 iPad Pro don't make enough diff to me, except maybe the apparently substantially greater battery life of the MacBook Air. And IF I do go for another laptop, I'd likely actually want a 15"-plus one (similar my dead Dell XPS 15) anyhow -- 13", especially in 16x9 (or 16x10) AR, just seems too small to me for how I usually use general computers.

If I could now figure out how to access Files on my Apple Watch, I could run films - with a huge magnifier. Which would mimic the late 1940s TVs. Only mit Color.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::rolling-smiley:

You jest, but now that I've adopted streaming more fully into my mix, I may finally feel like watching an occasional show or movie (that can still be appreciated enough on smaller screens) on these (larger) tablets or laptops during a sporadic, long-ish roadtrip or flight.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks