What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Haven’t seen that specific problem. When in doubt, reboot the device. Sometimes that’s all it takes to clear up weirdnesses.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My much better half has informed me that she wants my old 2nd gen iPad Pro but she doesn’t want my old Logitech slim something or other keyboard. The ipad had been dropped a couple of times and the and the bottom corners that hold the ipad were broken and I had kluged fixed it. That combined with 5 years of my cooties on the keyboard and she says uh, uh!

I’ve done a some looking for a keyboard for a 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9, model A1670. I’ve noticed these two:

Anyone have any opinions of them or suggestions for others? I even went to the Logitech site and they no longer have a keyboard for the 2nd gen and when I’ve searched on amazon and found one, it turns out to be the wrong size.

Suggestions are welcome.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny, this is going to be a tough one. You are talking 2nd generation which is long discontinued. You might try eBay and see if they have anything there.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, this is going to be a tough one. You are talking 2nd generation which is long discontinued. You might try eBay and see if they have anything there.
Looks like there are a lot of iPads but few keyboards. The Procase is there is costs more than amazon is charging.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sorry no experience with iPad keyboards of that era or style. My one suggestion is get one that’s easy to take the iPad out of, for flexibility. They add a lot of mass and clunkiness to the svelte iPad. I regularly pop my iPad off its keyboard case.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Since you guys are talking on keyboards…what do I need to look for if I want one for a 2019 regular-ass iPod regular? :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since you guys are talking on keyboards…what do I need to look for if I want one for a 2019 regular-ass iPod regular? :)
Do you want a track pad? Do you want an Apple Pencil? I think the only keyboard to which the Apple Pencil magnetically attach and charge is the magic keyboard…but I could be wrong. Do you want back lighting?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do you want a track pad? Do you want an Apple Pencil? I think the only keyboard to which the Apple Pencil magnetically attach and charge is the magic keyboard…but I could be wrong. Do you want back lighting?

I don’t think I’d want a trackpad or pencil. I’m thinking more that occasionally I might want to type out a few paragraphs or pages here and there in a Notes doc and that it would be easier to do it on a keyboard rather than tapping my finger on the touchscreen, but nothing more ambitious than that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t think I’d want a trackpad or pencil. I’m thinking more that occasionally I might want to type out a few paragraphs or pages here and there in a Notes doc and that it would be easier to do it on a keyboard rather than tapping my finger on the touchscreen, but nothing more ambitious than that.
That means you don’t have to worry about how to charge the pencil or whether the keyboard has a trackpad. You can save $$ by not buying the apple keyboard. Many of the 3rd party keyboards do have trackpads. I’d go on to amazon and search for a keyboard compatible with your model number ipad. Lots of reviews on YouTube.

The smaller the ipad, the smaller your keyboard. You will find that most or all 3rd party keypads get their power from their own battery not the iPads. You’ll want one that auto wakes and sleeps the ipad. Backlighting, I don’t think every keyboard has it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know not everyone likes it, but I’ve never used a keyboard with my iPad Pro, or regular iPad, I use the iPad virtual keyboard on screen. I’ve made nearly every post on the HTF since 2010 this way. I’m typing on the screen now.

But I get it that not everyone likes it. What I like is I don’t need to carry another component with the iPad. I’ve made typos and missed spell check errors of course.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know not everyone likes it, but I’ve never used a keyboard with my iPad Pro, or regular iPad, I use the iPad virtual keyboard on screen. I’ve made nearly every post on the HTF since 2010 this way. I’m typing on the screen now.

But I get it that not everyone likes it. What I like is I don’t need to carry another component with the iPad. I’ve made typos and missed spell check errors of course.

Everyone has their own style and needs when it comes to the iPad.

Defending the keyboard, I see it as part of the device. When not in use, it acts as a protective cover as essentially the iPad folds up inside of it. When using the Magic Keyboard, you get nearly the same sensation as using a laptop.

Others will simply just want to pick up the iPad in their hand, swipe, and type. Nothing wrong with that.

I do think the Apple Pencil goes far in preventing fingerprints all over the screen, but it is an accessory that can easily be lost. I am looking for mine as it fell under my car seat a few days ago and still can't be located.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

For whatever reason, I am incredibly adept at fast typing on the smaller models of iPhones, but that speed just isn’t there when I’m on a larger iPhone or iPad. It may be that I could make the adjustment if I tried it enough but paradoxically I don’t use the iPad enough in that way to have enough opportunities to get over the hump.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ron, that’s certainly a valid point, the keyboard helps make the iPad usage more like a laptop. And many like using the iPad that way. I actually don’t like typing on my MacBook Pro but use it when I'm on the go.

I realized re-reading my first sentence above that it might imply that I’m saying not everyone likes using a keyboard with their iPad. I meant not everyone likes using the on screen keyboard. Agreed everyone has their preference as you said. I like using it the way I do. I love the pencil for drawing and sketching. Its great Apple gave us the options.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, i’ll admit something, whenever I use the iPad screen keyboard, it’s very hard to avoid pressing the a key when I meant to press the shift key. So when I try to capitolize a word, it starts with an “a”. 😆. So sure, the on-screen keyboard isn’t perfect. Of course I’m not an expert touch typists either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If for infrequent use at home, consider just a cheap bluetooth keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks