What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The keyboard was going on sale 33% off all the time about a year after release, in 2020 I think. But I don’t know if it goes on sale these days, with electronics supply so borked.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The keyboard was going on sale 33% off all the time about a year after release, in 2020 I think. But I don’t know if it goes on sale these days, with electronics supply so borked.

Yes, but you have to be careful as I was helping my brother shop for a keyboard a few months ago.

There was a huge saving on the original model. I think it sold as low as $199-$250 on both Amazon and BestBuy which is incredible. However, if you looked closely at the model number it was the first keyboard model. Now that does fit current models but with a slight overhang. Apple does say in their product description for the older keyboard that it does fit the new M1 Pros.

It looks like the one Johnny just bought is the newer keyboard released last year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Apple Magic Keyboard 5th, 4th, 3rd Generation: Model: MJQK3LL/A. SKU: 6340385 ($299 New BestBuy)

Apple Magic Keyboard 3rd and 4th generation: Model: MXQU2LL/A SKU: 6340357 ($169.99 Open Box BestBuy)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Apple Magic Keyboard 5th, 4th, 3rd Generation: Model: MJQK3LL/A. SKU: 6340385 ($299 New BestBuy)

Apple Magic Keyboard 3rd and 4th generation: Model: MXQU2LL/A SKU: 6340357 ($169.99 Open Box BestBuy)
I just looked at the model number of the keyboard I bought. Based on two things 1) Answered questions on Amazon; and 2) the model number (thanks Ron) my keyboard is the latest model.

Has anyone felt the need to put a screen protector on their iPad? I have not on my current ipad. One that I happened to noticed claimed that it prevented fingerprints from sweat and grease. I don’t believe that but maybe it’s easier to keep clean. Even though I have the Apple Pencil I still use my fingers a lot and always have a fingerprinted screen.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, but you have to be careful as I was helping my brother shop for a keyboard a few months ago.

There was a huge saving on the original model. I think it sold as low as $199-$250 on both Amazon and BestBuy which is incredible. However, if you looked closely at the model number it was the first keyboard model. Now that does fit current models but with a slight overhang. Apple does say in their product description for the older keyboard that it does fit the new M1 Pros.

It looks like the one Johnny just bought is the newer keyboard released last year.

Other than the fit, is there a difference between the two, any improvements made to the new one?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Other than the fit, is there a difference between the two, any improvements made to the new one?

Johnny,

I can't give you the definitive answer on that. You may want to search out that answer.

I did my own research months ago when helping my brother buy a Magic Keyboard.

If I remember correctly, there really aren't any significant improvements over the fit.

I mean, if you want to save money you could opt for the older model and significantly save in the process.

I suppose the worst thing that can happen is that you don't like the way your new iPad fits the keyboard and you can return it. In saying that, I would assume if you buy "open box" (such as the reference I made to BestBuy) it may not be returnable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, screen protector

Well, if you are like my 8-year-old nephew that has broken the screens on at least 4 of his iPads (yes, really that many), then a screen protector is a MUST.

However, if you are the kind of person that actually takes care of your electronics, and is careful when handling and using them, then I would say no.

If you are buying the Magic Keyboard you have protection right there. If it drops with the keyboard closed, no issue. If it drops when opened, chances are very good it will drop on the keyboard's side, thus protecting the screen.

I mean, the screen protectors are extremely inexpensive. I just don't like the application, the bubbles, or the possible yellowing of the plastic.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh, screen protector

Well, if you are like my 8-year-old nephew that has broken the screens on at least 4 of his iPads (yes, really that many), then a screen protector is a MUST.

However, if you are the kind of person that actually takes care of your electronics, and is careful when handling and using them, then I would say no.

If you are buying the Magic Keyboard you have protection right there. If it drops with the keyboard closed, no issue. If it drops when opened, chances are very good it will drop on the keyboard's side, thus protecting the screen.

I mean, the screen protectors are extremely inexpensive. I just don't like the application, the bubbles, or the possible yellowing of the plastic.
I would find the screen protector really valuable if it reduced fingerprints. Regarding your nephew, I’m going to out on limb here and guess he doesn’t have pay to fix or replace his iPads. If he did, he’d handle them more carefully.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would find the screen protector really valuable if it reduced fingerprints. Regarding your nephew, I’m going to out on limb here and guess he doesn’t have pay to fix or replace his iPads. If he did, he’d handle them more carefully.
His nephew is 8 years old! :laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

If you are using an Apple Pencil then fingerprints are a non-issue. I also keep a bottle of screen cleaner and microfiber cloth handy and regularly wipe my iPad down because one does tend to just grab it and use the finger. But, as I started saying, the pencil greatly reduces fingerprint issues.

Do what you want with the screen protector. My personal preference is not to use one.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So the parts of my ipad order will shipped in order of least usefulness first. The pencil arrives today. The keyboard arrives on the 10th or 11th and the ipad arrives the 17th or 18th.

All you M1 owners, what is the most FUN thing you do on your ipad? Just pure fun.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So the parts of my ipad order will shipped in order of least usefulness first. The pencil arrives today. The keyboard arrives on the 10th or 11th and the ipad arrives the 17th or 18th.

All you M1 owners, what is the most FUN thing you do on your ipad? Just pure fun.

Johnny,

Congrats, again! Keep us posted once everything arrives and you are set up.

The most fun thing?

For me, it's not about fun. I never thought that the iPad could be a laptop replacement, that is until it was my only computing device. I am amazed at how well the iPad in conjunction with the Magic Keyboard works as well as a laptop for on-the-road travel. If I really had to, I could survive without a laptop and use my iPad instead.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My Pen arrived today and I’ve noticed one downgrade. My first gen pen came with extra tips, this one didn’t.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My Pen arrived today and I’ve noticed one downgrade. My first gen pen came with extra tips, this one didn’t.

I suppose no extra included tips is a bit of a downgrade, but I have to tell you, once you snap that pen on the side of the iPad, watch it magnetically snap into place, and start charging, you'll appreciate the upgrade over the gen1 pencil where you had to stick the damn thing into the lightning port slot to charge.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The gen one Apple Pencil also includes an adaptor to allow you to plug the pencil into the USB charger. I still use that to charge my first gen Apple Pencil.

528DBDF4-693D-444E-9C05-4C4A736ED626.png

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got the keyboard and the delivery date has been updated to this thursday instead of the 17th. I like that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The iPad arrived last night which coincided with my chronic fatigue syndrome acting up and making me even more exhausted than usual and bringing some dizziness with it. Still I got the new iPad setup and my old iPad migrated over to it.

First thing to notice is I really like having the pencil magnetically attached and charging all the time. It’s more accessible now. Also I like the tactile feel of the keys on the apple magic keyboard.

I miss the home key, now you sweep up from the bottom and that apparently requires a finger as I can’t get the pencil to do it. All my different safari windows were ported over, but not chrome, hmmm, why would that be? For apple mail, I had to massage each email account to get it working, sometimes reentering the password, sometimes not.

The screen is fabulous. I guess I need to fiddle with the pencil settings because sometimes a tap doesn’t register. During setup it demoed writing to text and it could read my writing. That’s a real feat.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love this new iPad, but I’ve noticed one frequent problem concerning apple mail. I’ll have a list of emails on the left column and tap the trash button at the top right which deletes the email. Then I tap the trash button again or perhaps select another email and I discover the screen has locked. No response.

If I sweep up from the botttom to bring up all apps and select mail, the screen is now responsive. It will do it again. This happens often, kind of irritating. This happening to anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread