What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This worked out very well for controlling the volume with the Magic Keyboard. It involves using ACCESSIBILITY KEYBOARD options, SHORTCUTS, and two downloads that you can find beneath the YouTube video below if watching from their site. I highly recommend trying this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I’ve had subpar experiences with Logitech, Apple and another cheaper third party iPad keyboard over the years. With the power and thinness of the new M1 13” MacBook Pro, I’ve now completely abandoned the thought of doing anything on my iPad that requires a keyboard. A 13” MBP is not that much heavier/bulkier than an iPad Pro with keyboard anyway, and is a superior keyboard input device so I’m thankful the new M1 MBP can fit both my typing and portability needs. Any future iPad usage for me is going to be strictly touch interface usage.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The function keys on the Logitech keyboard could be useful. But my experience is that style keyboard is very inferior to the Apple design. Magnets only along the hinge, and kickstand means it holds less securely, and requires a lot more horizontal space to use. It also may not work as well in awkward spaces (like on the arm of a couch, as I’m typing this right now).

I have no regrets over the apple keyboard compared to the Logitech design. Your needs might differ. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m using my iPad in keyboard on my lap. I think that Logitech case would work poorly as a literal laptop case. It seems like a solution for someone who is going to use it solely on desks and tables and really needs function keys.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m using my iPad in keyboard on my lap. I think that Logitech case would work poorly as a literal laptop case. It seems like a solution for someone who is going to use it solely on desks and tables and really needs function keys.

That's exactly the issue.

Now that I created a shortcut for controlling volume on my Magic Keyboard I no longer see it as an issue any longer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Anyone looking to get into iPad OS 15 Public Beta should wait for the next version.

The latest, version 3, has introduced some significant bugs not present in the earlier beta.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just an update to say that this iPad as my only computing device continues to work flawlessly.

The lates iPad OS Beta is also working flawlessly — not too surprising since we are probably a week or two away from the Gold Master (final release).

Though there are workarounds that I have had to find for some things, there is nothing to date that I have not been able to accomplish on this iPad that I was doing on my MacBook Pro under OS X.

The only major problem I have found is with this keyboard character: “

It screws up any HTML coding eateries I need to do for the forum. Why? It’s not a standard quotation mark. It’s an ascii quote that is not the UTF-8 plaintext quote the editor needs. I am not certain that this is a Magic Keyboard issue or an iPad issue as I have not tried the iPad’s screen keyboard to see if it can be changed.

In any event, this iPad was a risky decision at the time of purchase, however now several months in, I am comfortably happy using it as a desktop alternative.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s probably iPadOS and iOS smart text replacement.

This is a quote “quote”

It automatically does forward quote and backward quote. There might be a way to disable this to force the ASCII simple quote marks you want.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It’s probably iPadOS and iOS smart text replacement.

This is a quote “quote”

It automatically does forward quote and backward quote. There might be a way to disable this to force the ASCII simple quote marks you want.

I found the fix. Turn off smart punctuation. Fixed the problem immediately. Thanks, Dave.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It doesn’t help that sites like HTF now hijack your text input and you can’t be sure that what you type actually goes through the parser. I want to throw my phone 6x a day trying to put line breaks in between paragraphs. I have petitioned against this for years but nobody listened to me :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve decided to get the iPad Pro 12.9 M1 with 256gb. I’m going with the 256gb because if I go down to 128 the payment plan goes away. I’ll buy it from Amazon because I can pay it off over 18 months with 0 interest. Has anyone has any luck with another keyboard besides’s the Apple keyboard? Damn it’s expensive, though Amazon has it for $300 which is $50 off the Apple price.

Where’s a good place to sell my old iPad Pro?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’ve decided to get the iPad Pro 12.9 M1 with 256gb. I’m going with the 256gb because if I go down to 128 the payment plan goes away. I’ll buy it from Amazon because I can pay it off over 18 months with 0 interest. Has anyone has any luck with another keyboard besides’s the Apple keyboard? Damn it’s expensive, though Amazon has it for $300 which is $50 off the Apple price.

Where’s a good place to sell my old iPad Pro?

Johnny,

You could go for the Logitech keyboard which is less expensive. The only downside to the keyboard is that they are not good for lap use (as compared to Apple's keyboard), but work great on a table

As far as selling your old iPad Pro you can try these sites:

sellyourmac.com

You can also Google Apple buyback sites and you'll get quite a few suggestions. The two I have listed above I have used.
There is also Gazelle.com, but they tend not to give the best price, but try them.

Congrats on your new iPad Pro. Love mine!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Ronald Epstein So I look at that sell your Mac site and I can get $345. Then I google my model number to verify the year and discover amazon is selling my same 2nd gen iPad Pro configured exactly as mine for almost $900. That’s close to a new 5th gen iPad Pro! WTF! Jeez, maybe I can sell it locally for more, especially if I throw in the Logitech keyboard.

Thanks for the keyboard advice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
@Ronald Epstein So I look at that sell your Mac site and I can get $345. Then I google my model number to verify the year and discover amazon is selling my same 2nd gen iPad Pro configured exactly as mine for almost $900. That’s close to a new 5th gen iPad Pro! WTF! Jeez, maybe I can sell it locally for more, especially if I throw in the Logitech keyboard.

Thanks for the keyboard advice.

Johnny,

You are going to take a loss. I think, usually, you can get 40% of what you paid when you trade it in.

Yeah, you might be able to sell it privately. Look into it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny,

You are going to take a loss. I think, usually, you can get 40% of what you paid when you trade it in.

Yeah, you might be able to sell it privately. Look into it.
I don’t expect to get that Amazon price at all. I’m amazed people will pay that much for a 2017 model when another $200 gets the current model. I think I paid at least $1K for this one. Apple is offering $240 as a trade-in.

BTW, how do those sell your mac sites work? I send them my ipad and the pay me right away? I don’t have to wait for them to sell it?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don’t expect to get that Amazon price at all. I’m amazed people will pay that much for a 2017 model when another $200 gets the current model. I think I paid at least $1K for this one. Apple is offering $240 as a trade-in.

BTW, how do those sell your mac sites work? I send them my ipad and the pay me right away? I don’t have to wait for them to sell it?

You get your money as soon as they receive and inspect your iPad. Usually in a week.

Read the fine print, though. They will charge a fee if (I think) you do a direct deposit but not if they send you a check (which takes longer). I made a mistake with the sale of my last MacBook Pro and lost money because I had them do one of those two things without reading the fine print.

Personally, I think you can't do better than the Apple keyboard as expensive as it is. It's just sturdier and if you like sitting in a chair and working from your lap, it's not going to slide around like the Logitech. However, the Logitech is rated very well. I would suggest doing what I did, and that is, watching YouTube videos comparing both keyboards.

Finally, there should be a new iPad Pro introduced in the next few months if you want to wait. Price point should essentially be the same, though that's never a guarantee.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Ronald Epstein The deed is done. I ordered the 256gb silver M1 with apple magic keyboard and Apple Pencil. I will first try to sell my old ipad. Try to get $500 which will include an Apple Pencil and Logitech keyboard. I’ll be happy to get $400. I did save $200 on the ipad and $50 on the keyboard by buying them at Amazon.

I really appreciate your advice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
@Ronald Epstein The deed is done. I ordered the 256gb silver M1 with apple magic keyboard and Apple Pencil. I will first try to sell my old ipad. Try to get $500 which will include an Apple Pencil and Logitech keyboard. I’ll be happy to get $400. I did save $200 on the ipad and $50 on the keyboard by buying them at Amazon.

I really appreciate your advice.

Johnny,

Congrats on your purchase. You must be very excited. That keyboard is an absolute bitch of purchase given its price. However, it's the one single element that I feel makes using the iPad more like a laptop. At times, you kind of forget you are typing on an iPad. It's really a well-built accessory. Just too f-ing expensive and it never really drops much in price though I have seen the older model of the keyboard (which almost fits the new iPad perfectly and is usable) at a $100+ savings.

EDIT: Look at the keyboard you are buying and see if it's the newest version. I just looked on Amazon and it looks like the one they are selling for $299 is the 5th generation model (though the older one also says will fit 5th generation). You can usually save even more on the original keyboard model for the older generations. It fits the current iPad Pro but with a slight overhang.

Let us know how you do on your private sale but continue to look around online selling sites as offers do vary greatly. Before you use any of them do a Google search on their reputation.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks