What's new

M Squad : Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Tried to find old thread on this but couldn't. Tvshowsondvd is reporting a re-release of M Squad : Special edtion. Anyone know what makes it special? Are they using better transfers? Complete with missing episodes from previous release? Interviews?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It's "special" because it includes an extra disc of other television appearances by Lee Marvin. The trade-off is that it does not include the music CD from the first set.I don't think there were any episodes missing from the original set. Some were sourced from poorer prints than others, but I suspect those will not look any different in this new set.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I recently started watching this series again. Been a few years since the orignal complete set came out, so cranked up episode 1 - disc 1. I am now just finishing up disc 3, which puts me about 25 shows into season 1. Couple of things about the show jump out at me this time, which I guess I didn't notice the first time thru:

1) The writers for this show, must of had some guild lines that had to be followed, in order to submit a script. First, nothing about Frank Ballengers private life can be included. The entire 26 minutes revolve around the case he is currently assigned to. Second, the opening crime must take place within the first minute of the show, and solving the crime cannot take place any earlier than 1 minute prior to the ending credits. It is amazing how this formula is played out episode-after-episode. Lastly (and most people are already aware of this), Lee Marvin was one terrific actor. Even though the role of Frank Ballenger is very one-dimensional, it's Marvins acting skills which rise him above how the character is mostly written.

All this said, I'm enjoying this revisit very much. Anyone who doesn't own this set is doing themselves a disservice. Even with prints that are far from perfect, this is a set well worth seeking out.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the original release of this with the CD of soundtrack selections from the 1959 LP, and I can tell you also that the original one was packaged in a far different manner to this newer one. What I mean by that is that the original one had an expansive digipak that held all 16 discs (the 15 of the series, and the musical CD) in 8 panels, 2 discs per panel. This digipak also had an index of all 117 outings by disc (7 each on the first three discs, and 8 apiece on each of the remaining twelve).

I think that this newer one has 8 slimcases that list out the episodes on each disc, but that's just about all I've heard about the packaging of the newer one.

Here's a picture of the digipak from the original, with the index of episodes by disc.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 44

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I bought that earlier set a a year or two ago. There are some really bad prints but I think most of them are watchable with some being good.

Really fun show. It was a blind buy for me but I've really enjoyed it. A great period piece. I love seeing how much different life was then. There are also some great shots of 50's Chicago thrown into each episode.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The prints on the original set ranged from decent to abysmal. There was one with Paul Burke that I deemed unwatchable (it was so bad I don't know how I even recognized Burke). I was bothered more by the trims, usually at the ends of episodes. Still, it was worthwhile getting it because I loved the show and Lee Marvin's hard-boiled performance. I'd never seen the show until the set came out. My parents used to talk about what a great show it was. Loved the ambience and the location shots of Chicago.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
David_B_K said:
I was bothered more by the trims, usually at the ends of episodes.
One outing, "Race to Death," only lasted 20 min. or so, and that baffled me quite a bit.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Pop this in from time to time. Really a fun show. It's always cool when you recognize a notable actor in an early roll like Mike Connors or Raymond Bailey from Beverly Hillbillies.

I have the original set with the soundtrack. So regrettable about the video quality. Fortunately, I haven't run into a really bad one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks