What's new

M Night Shyamalan "The Woods" lets discuss (1 Viewer)

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
Same here, as I ADORE the trailers for M. Night's films (especially his teaser for "Unbreakable" and the first teaser for "Signs"), and this one looks like another hit.
You are so right, Jason. I remember the Unbreakable trailer as only revealing that Bruce Willis survived a train crash and Samuel Jackson had fricked-up hair. When I went to see the film, and the stats about comics appeared on the screen I was like, "What?"

That trailer gave only enough information to get you interested and revealed none of the film's secrets. That's pretty rare in this day and age.

I am definitely looking forward to The Woods.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Watching Signs and Unbreakable was like watching grass grow...
Not really a cheap shot. Lots of people feel that way.

When I first saw the previews, my wife asked me- "whats the point? I thought they proved crop circles were fakes?".
So we both agreed it would be the dummiest movie ever.

But when we saw it, it managed to scare the crap out of us. Perhaps we had low expectations, but I loved how Night tricked us into thinking it was about aliens and was really about faith!

So, I might skip all the reviews/previews/info on WOODS, and see it with a blank slate...

Nick

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Loved Sixth Sense but his last two, though interesting, were too full of themselves and the endings were trying to be shocking just for the sake of it and I wasnt impressed.

I'll wait for the reviews.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really feel that Signs was trying to be shocking to be shocking... it didn't really have a twist ending or anything like the others. IMO. :D

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Count me in. M Night Shyamalan hasn't dissappointed me yet. Great cast, with what looks like a terrific story.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I have to disagree with the Lovecraft premise, it COULD be that, but could really see M. Night interested in the works by Robert Holdstock, the Mythago Cycle. They are a very interested fantasy read and much outside of mainstream in terms of expectations and story telling. You can read about the books and how he came up with them here.

These are about typical people surrounded by the not so typical...with the woods being the center piece. Good, creepy, historical, lyrical...neat stuff. This would be neat filmmaking.

I am in the crowd of fascinated by M. Night, if not enamored with him. I own only Unbreakable, though I really enjoyed Sixth Sense (do I need to see it more than 2 times, though?) and Signs, while neat, had a poor ending but again, I enjoyed the process, pace and style of the storytelling leading up to it. He has yet to hit one out of the park (beyond Sixth) with all that potential, but close. He can pull together great casts, he shoots a good looking movie, he knows how to direct children (a TRUE art form), and he writes his own stuff. Hollywood should take notice and support more writer/directors, whose vision usually tend to be stronger than these "movies by committee" that come out all the time.

Anyhoo, check out Holdstock if interested in a unique fantasy vision.

Ciao,

Phil

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Loved Unbreakable and Signs. Hopefully, this will be just as good. Great cast!

Peace Out~:D

todd stone

Screenwriter
I am not sure why people are so upset about not seeing enough of the ALIENS in SIGNS. In my opinion I like the creepy feeling we had of NOT seeing them throughout the movie, it had more suspense.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
With Signs, I kept waiting for the farmers to break out the 12 gauges and .30-30s... Woulda been a short movie tho...

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I have to go the other way...I wish we never saw the aliens at all. That was the weakest part of the film, in my opinion.

Phil

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy Signs but it was better before the Alien was beepopping around. Like when they were in the basement, that was good, just seeing the arm was enough.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Count me in the 25% who couldn't stand Signs. I felt Unbreakable was also a big decline from his first film. I feel he is a bit of a one-hit wonder. The Hitchcock parallels also make me ill. He's not even in the same league, not even the same sport.

I will give "The Woods" a chance, He does have a certain mood and style. Hopefully, we see some improvements in script and actor direction. Which I felt was the #1 problem of his last outing, not the alien subplot.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
His name on a film is enough for me to go see it. He's a master of making the hairs on my back stand on end.

Unfortunatly, I didn't get to see "Signs" because my fiance had two strikes aganst it. (Crop Circles and Mel Gibson) I do need to rent it at some point, tho.

Jason

todd stone

Screenwriter
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/thewoodsnews.php?id=1353

The Woods To Change Its Title Source: The Hollywood Reporter Thursday, September 4, 2003

It seems M. Night Shyamalan's The Woods will be changing its title soon.

Blue Car star Agnes Bruckner will team with Patricia Clarkson to star in The Woods, a second film with the same title for United Artists and director Lucky McKee. Shooting is scheduled to start September 15 in Montreal.

McKee's project will likely get to keep its name. Disney said Wednesday that the title for Shyamalan's film was just a working one. How about, "The Trees"?! Okay, maybe not.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
overall, i like this guy. his first two were definitely able to evoke an emotion from me. they definitely tickled my fancy. signs...eh...i could take or leave that one.

but, i've enjoyed his movies enough that i will more than likely check this out.

however, am i the only one who feels that he needs to get off this "supernatural" kick. i kinda feel like it's getting old. i mean, i realize that is sort of his niche, but jeez-louise...go make a comedy or action film or something.

i also agree with whoever said he shouldn't be compared to hitchcock. i'm definitely not seeing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks