M&K vs. Monitor Audio--which one to get??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at upgrading my speaker system and have a dilemma: I can't decide between M&K and Monitor Audio. Anyone out there have any suggestions on overall sound quality/value?

2. JonnyD

JonnyD Auditioning

Scott,

I have a friend in the UK who uses nothing but M&K THX certified speakers and I have heard the set up and it is really rather good. I know what he paid for them... very expensive I would go with the ones that sound the best to you. I have a Monitor center speaker and I would recommend it to anyone. crisp and clean sound very capable and looks good with the grille off.

JonnyD

3. TomH

TomH Second Unit

My impression was that Monitor and M&K are distinctly different in their sound characteristics. Spend some time with both before deciding.

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I own the M&K 150's and work for a dealer for Monitor Audio.

If music is important to you, then I would recommend Monitor. The silver 5i's continue to blow me away at how good they sound for the price. And the gold 20's, well, there awesome.

Now, I like my 150's for music! But I'm not an audiophile and don't put the main emphasis on music.

You can't beat M&K for a pure home theater set-up, although they are expensive.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but they both sound different. Listen and see if one grabs your ear over the other.

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have heard both speakers. And I like them both. It really depends on what you use your system for. I know for home theater, M&K's are hard to beat. I have never heard Monitor Audio's for home theater but about 2 weeks ago I demo'd the 20's and the 60's for strait stereo playback for music and wow. I was completely blown away and amazed. If I could have a dedicated 2 channel room for music only, Monitor audio would be my choice.