M&K THX-750 set

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I currently have the center speaker ,and I am seriously thinking about getting the rest of the setup.I have an Onkyo TXSR-600 reciever.The listening room is appprox 20X12
    .Do I have enough reciever to properly run this set?? I noticed that the front speakers are 4 ohm and the rears are 8.Since this is a nice reciever ,but not real high end,want to make sure I have enough to run the speakers properly.

thanks

Greg Kolinski

2. Greg Kolinski

Is my question that stupid???/ Or did I offend everyone already??? [​IMG] I am usually just a thread killer.[​IMG] Did go and talk to the guys at the audio shop,and they said I should be OK with the mid range Onkyo.

3. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo should be ok to drive those speakers, you should very impressed with quality you will get.

4. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I talked to Onkyo before I bought my 750 setup and they stated that I should NOT use their systems as they don't support 4 ohm. It was one of the main reasons I moved to my Denon. Now, Denon doesn't explicitly state that they support 4ohm, either. But when I talked to them (and M&K) they were very positive in their claims that I would have no issues with the 4ohm.
    They were right!

5. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Greg, I run an old Yamaha 2092 receiver with 4 ohm M&K S85s all the way around, and have absolutely no problems. The Yamaha has a 4 ohm/8 ohm selector switch on the rear panel though.

6. Greg Kolinski

I am already running a 750 center channel,with no problems yet.Would adding the other 2 fronts ,as the rears are 8's,be ok,I would think.What did Onkyo say for the reason not to use the low ohm speakers?

7. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I looked for the original email from them - but cause my company has a ridiculously restrictive email retention policy, it's long gone. Basically, they don't support low-impendence speakers and they would run the receiver too hard. I am sure others will disagree about why not to do it, I am just relaying what Onkyo told me.

8. Greg Kolinski

I dug out the spec sheet for the AR 510's im running in front now,they are 4 ohm speakers,have had them since 91 or so.Have used 2 JVC recievers and the Onkyo with them .If they havent hurt anything I guess the M&K's wont?