M&K Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by wilborn f, Aug 18, 2004.

1. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

I know most of the members in this forum are SVS or HSU fans but can some of you please comment on M&K Subwoofers specifically MX 125.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. Chase

Chase Agent

I have just read that m&k make awsome speakers and subs.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I have owned an MX90, My friend has an MX125 and an MX150. I've also heard an MX350 and an MX5000. They are good but not stellar. Considering how much they cost new, they aren't a stellar value IMHO. Bass is solid to around 25ish at the lowest point but don't expect it to be overly loud below 30.

Depending on how much you will end up paying, there are better values out there(with deeper bass).

Now being that you are in the Phillipines, it will depend on what you can get there. Unless you like your bass extremely deep and loud, you'll be more than satisfied with your purchase. For MOST people, the M&K line is fine. I've just grown out of it.

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have the MX-100. An awesome sub. It shakes my house. I'm not familiar with the models Shane has auditioned but I find mine plenty loud, to say the least. This sub is about 13 years old. I recently contacted M&K to have it refurbished. I sent the amp in (removed from enclosure) and they redid the circuitry replacing many parts of the board. They also sent me two 12 inch drivers and gaskets to replace the old ones. All for free!!! What service. Now the sub plays like new and is good for another 10 years. I recommend a listen to them, at least.

5. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

Based on the reviews on this forum it seems that SVS and HSU are the subs to beat but unfortunately acquiring these are cost prohibitive because of the attached incidental costs.

Here in the Philippines, the reverred subwoofers are Rel, M&K and Velos in that order. But since this is the first time that i will be using a sub, i really have no barometer to compare it with. Im planning to acquire an M&K MX125 (slightly used, half the price) but still this will be a major investment for me since my equipments are not that high end yet. That is why i wanted to get some opinions from users there in the U.S. who had the privelege of comparing it with other top notch subs.

6. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

If you're looking at a sub purely for HT, forget Rel's and get a SVS instead. Rel's arent't suited for high output, they're good just to blend in for music applications where high output isn't required.. The M&K's MX range are good at 30hz and above, but distort lower down (and again when pushed hard)- used a MX-350.

I own a Rel Storm, SVS PC Plus. The SVS is better than the M&K for HT too.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

For him though, acquiring an SVS might not be financially feasible. If he is getting a decent deal on a used M&K, then he SHOULD be satisfied. I was satisfied until I heard better(isn't that the way it normally works anyway?). Being that I live in the US, I have MORE options naturally than he does. Considering his options are REL, Velo and M&K, I'd go with M&K(again). Velo's were always MORE expensive than the M&K I bought and never played as low and loud for the $$. The ones that were better were MUCH more expensive.

While I wouldn't doubt an SVS would be better, Let's look at where he is at and how much he can afford. International shipping isn't exactly cheap as you know.

8. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

To the UK it was £70, VAT + C&E charges. Pretty good value. And considering what's available in the UK for the same cost(CHT-15, Rel Strata), it's a no-brainer.

What's delivery cost of a cylinder subs to the Philippines?

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I know in the Phillipines, cars are taxed like 200-300% of their cost [​IMG] (please correct me if I am wrong) - so it might be the same story for subs.

10. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Something else to consider. M&K subs are all SEALED designs if i'm not mistaken. In general, this design will sound tighter and more musical with less "oomph" than a ported sub. They also roll off the lower frequencies slower than a ported one.

If you listen to a lot of music, M&K would be a great choice. If primarily cinema, you may sacrafice a little dynamic output for a tight tuneful sound.

11. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Mike:

Thats ironic, as M&K is total cinena gear.

12. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

Yes kenneth, cars here are 200 to 300% taxed that is why it is really cost prohibitive. Just by the looks of it, an SVS subwoofer looks awsome albeit its sonic oooomph. But the problem is the shipment costs involved. Furthermore, if something goes wrong with the unit and needs repair, again it must be shipped back to the U.S. and would entail additional costs.

Maybe SVS should come up with a marketing plan for Asian Market.

13. Nan H

Nan H Agent

wilborn f

I have used a m&k v-125 for many years. it's a really nice sub, the v-125 is like the "little brother" compared to the mx-125. i believe they use the same driver, the v-125 uses one and the mx-125 uses two in a push pull configuration and the sound quality is great. it may not have the window shattering bass like a svs sub but it does the job nicely. since the m&k is sealed it has a nice smooth response i would say this sub would sound "better" for music than shaking the house for a movie but then again i guess it all depends on what you want/need in a sub. also i think the mx-125 is not magnetically shielded so putting it close to your tv may not be a good idea.

i do know the v-125 makes a killer sub for your computer

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

15. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Willborn,

Actually shipping on our cylinder subs is generally quite reasonable, but it can vary considerably by country. We ship many subs to the far east, including the Philippines. Yes, customs and VAT can be a hassle but given the often high prices of other good subs in those markets people often enjoy a similar price/performance ratio in places like Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Taiwan as they do here.

Also, except for some of our early PC+ subs (which had amp parts that were not user serviceable) ALL SVS's now are totally modular. Virtually every part can be replaced with hand tools in a matter of minutes. Any problems at all are rare, but with an amp or woofer issue for instance 99.5% of the time (really) we just send a part, the customer practically drops it in... and done. Subwoofers nearly never have to come back to the USA for service.

Drop our sales line a note with your mailing address and we might be able to help: [email protected]

As you noted though there are often MANY good choices, I just wanted to make sure you had a bit more on SVS as one of them.

Ron

16. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

Thanks Edward JM for those articles.

Thanks also to SVS-Ron for taking time to share SVS. I couldnt agree with you more on including SVS as an option. That's probably the reason why most of the audio/HT enthusiasts here are quite keen on recommending other subs performance of which may be inferior to that of an SVS.
    Well, they are just being practical.

17. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

One obvious difference between an M&K and an SVS is the internal amp wattage. Assuming both have 150 watts RMS, will SVS beat M&K?

18. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Wilborn,

Trying to compare them by the watts they use is really getting more into design issues. If you had a 150 watt amp, and were looking at getting a passive sub to be powered by said amp, then it's a valid question. In the case of powered subs, each manufacturer chose their respective amps based on a variety of factors (enclosure type, driver, cost, etc.).

-Robb