What's new

M & K subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I was wanting to know if anyone has owned one of these for awhile and if they would be good to buy used? Any particular model to avoid?

Al_Swanson

Agent
I started off with a V1250 THX and was very impressed. I had begun my bass search with a Polk 250 and thought that was something. Then I got the V1250 and did the "bring everyone over and run the bass chapters" deal and impressed myself and them. A friend knew my passion for bass and introduced me to SVS and this forum. I sold my M&K and went with a 20-39PC. As many will attest here, I was amazed. That was real bass!
But still, I hankered for more. I got an opportunity to (legally!) purchase a MX5000 MKII for a grand. I sold my SVS and now can truly say I am satisfied. I have a large room with lousy acoustics but that 5000 makes it sound like a sound stage. Without a doubt, the finest sub I have ever heard at any price. Effortless, deep, smooth. I could go on and on.
Um, so, yes. I like M&K and I don't think you can go wrong with any of their subs - just be sure you do some room matching so you get enough sub to make you happy.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Al...I too love M&K! Could you describe the difference in bass quality you are hearing as compared to the 20-39. Do you think that dual 20-39's would have approached the M&K?

Al_Swanson

Agent
Good question. I always felt the SVS was strained and somewhat boomy. Like I mentioned in the post, the M&K never sounds strained.
I honestly don't know whether adding another 20-39 would help. Tom or Ron could probably answer that better than me.
Don't take this as any kind of slam on SVS - it's as far from that as it could be! SVS is the king of bass. And while there is no easy way to say this....there's really no match for the 5000, IMHO. Again, I am not knocking SVS, especially when we are comparing a $750 sub to a $3000 sub. I know my SVS's new owner loves her.
So....I don't think I answered your question, except with more subjective bias. :) Truth be told, you'll love either one.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I saw where someone won a MX-80 M&K sub on e-bay for $132.00. How would I go about finding out the value of a used M&K sub?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
there's really no match for the 5000, IMHO
Oh, I know of a few subs that could give an MX5000 more than a run for it's money with a $3000 budget. There are a number of DIY options that could do it for less than $1000 and with $2000-$3000 could run it into the ground.

Also a better comparison from SVS price wise to a MX5000 would be a pair of PB2+ subs, or the B4+, or a pair/quadruple of 20-39PC+ subs, or a pair of SVS Ultra's. None of these would have a problem keeping up to an MX5000 output wise. Sound wise, that's up to you which you like better.

Oh and adding a second 20-39PC, if placed properly would add 6dB of headroom across the board.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
It is pretty common knowledge that Al's particular SVS was an original 20-39PC with the original 12" driver and the 190 watt plate amp. There are other current production SVS products that would be more appropriate to compare to a M&K 5000 - like the $1,200 PB2-Plus.

I made it a point to recently demo the M&K line of subs (my local dealer where I bought my DVD-2900 carries M&K). The 5000 IS an impressive subwoofer, offering powerful output and good sound quality.

Regardless, I agree completely with Dustin, there are several other subwoofers that can match or exceed the performance of the 5000 for less money.

With that said, I can't imagine anyone owning a 5000 being disappointed; it really is a nice unit. It seems very well built, and has a very nice wood finish, but it's quite expensive and I think you do pay for the name and the THX certification (which the dealer tried to make a big deal out of).

Regards,

Ed

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
M&K makes nice stuff, but like all other larger(er) market brands you don't get as much per $$ simply because of the larger costs of operation as well as dealer markups. If you're set on M&K then I'll stop there. If you're willing to look at other options let us know. :emoji_thumbsup:

- Dan

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Well I owned a M&K THX MX5000 MK2 which cost me $7000.00 (I live in Australia) and was very happy until I read a review of a Subwoofer brand called Whise (Australian company). The subwoofer is half the price and twice as good it was far superior to the M&K in every way. Go to their site www.whise.com.au and look at the Profunder 319. I sold my M&K and bought this and have never looked back.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ya know.....

I get so sick of seeing some people chime in any damn topic
that is "sub woofer" related..

Dustin,

This is not the DIY section of the HTF and I am quite sure
that everybody knows by now that DIY is unmatchable by SVS
or any mainstream company for that matter.. You certainly
take it upon yourself to mention this in any thread where
someone says "XXX Commerical sub is unmatchable" and I am
quite certain that poster means by another mainstream sub
in the same price range.

And as far as SVS goes.. God knows they make the best subs
in the world and nothing can stand against them...

This spiral we go through on every sub thread on these
forums gets real old...

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Yes, Brett...but not everyone reads every thread about subs like some of us. For the 30 something (or more) people that have signed up for this site in the last 3 days this might be the first time they have seen/heard anything about SVS or other offerings. Specifically DIY, Acoustic Visions or RA Designs since they don't get as much talk here. What it comes down to is this false statement:

And as far as SVS goes.. God knows they make the best subs
in the world and nothing can stand against them...

A

Anthony_Gomez

All i have to say is that almost all Bose owners think they are the $h!t. ...that their speakers are god's gift to the world.

This is in no way trying to say that SVS is Bose. It is mearly to point out ignorance (NOT stupidity) in the audio world.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dan,

Good points I suppose.. And I understand Dustin's Passion
for sure... I have it also.. I just keep the DIY stuff over
there.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Actually Dan you are wrong about that this could be the first time that someone new has read about SVS. I did some Empirical testing in my lab last night and concluded that newbies know of SVS within 9 seconds of joining HTF.:)

Considering there are multiple ads all over the forum of them and at anyone time you can expect 50% of the Speaker threads to include SVS then it becomes very tough to miss them.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Karl_Luph,

I can tell you I have two M&K MKII 350THX subs. The 350 THX was the fastest tightest sub I have ever heard probably one of the fastest tightest subs made, my opinion. The fact is I really only needed one but like it so much I got a second. I am even tinkering with the idea of a third in the back of the room as a designated surround sound sub.

Your best bet is to do what I did and listen to every damn sub in every store you can find and let your ears decide.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks alot for the post Phil. I think what I'm going to do since I'm on a small budget is just find a good used old M & K sub someone is selling cheap so they can upgrade. Can someone recommend a model and a price I should expect to pay? I'd like to keep it around $250.00 .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks