M&K subs - 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Harris, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Art Harris

Art Harris Auditioning

I am upgrading my M&K speakers to the S150 THX system. I am trying to decide if I should get 2 150 subs or 1 MX 350 MK II sub.

Right now, I am leaning towards the 350.

I using a Denon 5803, 10' front projection screen. Room size is 18' wide, seating are 21' - 26' from screen and the rear of the room is open to the next room.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Art

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I'm guessing the dual 150s would have a slight headroom advantage if you stacked them...but the extension would be about equal or the 350 might have a tiny edge there. I would go with the 350 myself. This allows you the option of adding another 350 down the road if you feel the need. What about the 5000?

TV

3. Ron Kaltenbach

Ron Kaltenbach Auditioning

I had to make the same choice. Turns out it was easy upon listening to both setups. The MX 350 Mark II won out. Much tighter and better sounding. Ron

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I had a mx200 and loved it but always wanted more, IMO the MX350 is where subs start. . . Just too friken bad they are so expensive, I would like to have a 350.
    I love my SVS more everyday but when you start talking about subs M&K make some dogs but they also make IMO some of the best and I think that starts at the MX350.

5. Art Harris

Art Harris Auditioning

Hi...

You guys have confirmed what I thought. Of the 2 choice, 1 350 would be the way to go.

But now I am seriously cosidering the dual SVS 20-39 subs. It seems that you really get more sub for less money. I assume I will get no argument from anybody on that. Right?

I really love this forum. Without it, I would have to go to Best Buy for advice.

Art

6. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

In that category, you have many choices. The M&K 350 and up are great quality subs. The HSU VTF-3 (about $850)is a solid contender. The whole SVS line is super high value to performance,

I also like the Earthquake Supernova 15"(about $1600 street) and my always favorite VMPS LARGER. ($699 unpowered)

Although you didn't list cubic feet, it sounds like you have a large room, so chances are you may need two subs, so you were on the right track with the possiblity of needing two.

Almost too many choices now days.

John