M&K Speakers - Still Excellent/Worth the Money?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rein, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

It's been a while since I've heard anything about M&K speakers. I remember how awesome they were. They sounded great. Now, with all of these speaker companies and their excellent speaker packages, is M&K still worth the money?

I'm currently interested in the S-150's. I'd love to have either the S-150P's or the S-5000, but both are just a tad out of my price range. However, I might splurge for the MX-350 Sub instead of the MX-150. Which is another question, is it worth the money for the upgrade?

Just thought I'd throw a couple of questions at the experts here at HTF! Any other suggestions? FWIW, I own Klipsch Synergy system ( (4)KSF 10.5's, C-5 Center) - right now, with a 15" KSW 300 sub.

Thanks!

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Chris,

I believe they are worth every penny. Why don't you hear about them so much anymore? My guess is because they haven't really had a lot of new development going on. I know in the last year, they've come out with two new lines of entry level speakers, but nothing else.
    I have the LCR750 set, and upgraded the sub to the MX125. I love 'em. The S150s are next on my list. I heard them in a demo after I bought mine, and loved them. They are still the best sounding speaker system I've heard in that price range.
    I remember someone around here saying that they had the S150s, and upgraded from the MX350 to two SVS 16-46s. As I recall, they really noticed an improvement. If I had the room, or spouse approval, I probably would have got the SVS myself. But for a smaller sub, the M&Ks hold their own.

3. Chris Rein

Thanks Jared! You're right about the "entry level" systems being the only thing new by M&K. I guess the two series I've mentioned are THAT good they really can't improve on them...I dunno. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. When I heard them last, they were nothing but stellar. I guess I'm not sure if there's anything else out there in that price range (or below) that rivals the M&K's I'm looking at.
    Now, the sad/funny thing is, the minute I buy the S-150's, they'll come out with something new!!! [​IMG] Was there anything announced this year, or coming up soon?
    And, you're right, I think I can easily squeeze 2 SVS subs and an amp for well under what the MX-350 goes for. I wonder how much of a difference the MX-350 is between 2 SVS's. I might have to post part of this in the sub section.
    Thanks!
    Anyone else? [​IMG]

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I have an S-5000 system with a couple of MX-5000II subs, and they are more than worth every penny. Most of M&K's speakers are fairly pricey, compared to what you can get from other manufacturers. That's why you don't hear about them as often. But what they make, is incredible. Just ask Lucasfilm and dozens of other studios and mixing rooms why they use them.

5. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Chris,
    Being the proud owner of a full active system, IMO very much worth the price. Also I would save a little longer, and go for the S-150P set up.[​IMG]
    L

6. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I have had the 150's (3 Main Fronts and 2 sets of the ss-150's in a 7.1) for a couple of years. They are running on a Denon 5800 and I have one SVS 16-46PC handling the 50hz and below leaving the 50 to 80 for the 150THX sub. They sound terrific and that is after 2 years of consistent use.[​IMG]

7. Chris Rein

Excellent. I think I'll keep saving up for these puppies.