What's new

M&K s150 system (1 Viewer)

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
Ok it is to late now, and I seem to really like them, but want to put this up the flag pole and see what response is. I bought the s-150's R/C/L and ss-150's on the sides and 2 for the rear. Sides set to dipole and back to tripole. I don't see many people talking about the 150's. 1) any reason why? and 2) what is the opinion of the room on these guys?

Thanks

Wick

Tommy

Do a search you will find quite a few posts (I'm saving for a set so, i have done it a few times when i see something else that catches my eye to remind myself why im saving).

I think they are the best HT speakers I have heard ( I don't torture myself by listening to speakers i could never afford), I agree with some people that they aren't always the best for music as they highlight some faults in the recording process, but I feel that this accuracy is a good thing because as the recordings get better, DVD Audio & SACD, I will have speakers that do them justice.

Enjoy them and you said the most important thing, you really like them.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
I shopped for speakers for nearly six months and when I heard the M&Ks I was done.

Mine is setup with tripoles on sides and dipole for rears.
What sub did you get?

As for music, I get mostly DVD audio disks or DVD DTS and the playback is awesome have not purchased a SACD player yet so have not heard those. However Tommy, They are awesome for music, don't let the critics scare you. Go get Diana Krall "Live in Paris DVD DTS and the Eagles "hell freezes over" DVD DTS and hear music like you have never heard it before!

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael and Phil, good to hear the feed back. I have the pioneer 45tx and DV 45. I have not got a dvd-a yet to see but I have heard great things. The sub I went with was the MX 350.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering if you guys have ever heard the ss-150 surrounds paired with other speaker brands. I am working on a new HT set-up which will probably have Aerial Acoustics speakers for my Left, Right and Center. I have been thinking about using 2 pair of the SS-150 surrounds as my sides and rears. There is no one dealer in my area who carries both brands so it is not possible for me to listen to them together.

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is that I have heard lots of talk about speaker matching and that it is important. It does make sense that you would want something balanced around. I know that is not a "tech" answer but you can search it and find that it is the recommend way to go.

Tommy C

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy,

The 350THX sub is the same one I have, real tight and real real fast, excellent choice! If you haven't yet, get Lord Of The Rings DVD, better yet get the new extended version. With that sub it's going to blow you out of your shoes!!!!

Also you might want to check out the Pioneer 47Ai DVD player, it will play DVD audio along with most everything else.

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the DV-45a which is the new DVD from pioneer. It rocks, and yes I do have the LOTR.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I am curious to see how the new LOTR stacks up to the first release. I was tempted to buy it today, but I can't stand to have to switch disks during the movie so I will live with the original. I plan on renting the extended edition to see if it is worth the extra purchase. As far as the 150's go, I am saving for them myself but I plan on keeping my SVS for the sub. I have heard the 350 and my SVS and I can't tell a difference between them.

C

Chris*Liberti

The M&K's are probably the best HT speaker for the price however part of the reason you don't hear much about them is because they are somewhat of a guarded secret and also they are a bit on the expensive side and a little out of what most people are willing to spend on speakers.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
How do these compare to something like the Paradigm Studio 40's for HT and Music, and how much would a complete S150 package cost.

Thanks,

Reg

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Reggie.
I have seen them on ebay in a 5.1 config with 350 sub for $3800. That's where I got a good deal on mine.
You can go to the M&K website: Link Removed
Get an idea of what you want.
Then go here: http://www.docdvd.com/
Scroll to the bottom of the page to where it says "click here" and request a price quote on the setup you want.
Next find a dealer in your area and go hear them, then order your self a full set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks