What's new

M&K MX70B vs Paradigm subs (1 Viewer)

Arron H

Second Unit
I went to the local Paradigm dealer today and listened to Studio 20s & 40s paired with the M&K MX70B. The dealer was recommending that I go with the M&K rather than the Paradigm PW 2220 or Servo 15 given that the room is 16 x 14 x 8. He felt that the larger Paradigm subs would be overkill given the room size. I really liked the way that the M&K MX70B blended with the Studio 20s & 40s. I am leaning toward Studio 20s, the Studio CC, & Studio ADPs. However, I have been somewhat concerned about fitting the 2220 & Servo15 into our already crowded living room. How important is it for the sub to be made by the same company as the rest of the speaker system? Is there a cheaper sub out there that will work as well as the M&K 70BX and that is about the same size as the 70BX? The dealer had the 70BX listed at $1050.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
There's no need to make sure the sub and full range speakers are manufactured by the same company.

I'd go with the servo15 myself...with almost 2000 cu-ft,you'll need a lot more than the MK70 to reproduce action oriented DVDs at anything CLOSE to reference levels.

I'm not sure what the footprint of the 70 is, but the HSU VTF-2 is a smaller box that offers a lot of bang for the buck too,

TV

Arron H

Second Unit
Thanks, TV. How about the SVS subs? I think I could integrate one of the 16 inch diameter SVS subs in nicely. I think it would be easier to add a cylinder rather than a box shaped sub given available floor space. Do the SVS subs blend well with music and provide adequate bass extension for HT? I'm trying to avoid subs that sacrifice music for HT. Any recommendations for a nice mix of music & HT from the SVS line? Thanks again for the info.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Aaron, if you can swing an SVS and like the looks, the decision has been made :D
Check out any of the numerous discussions around here about SVS, and you should be completely confident in their abilities.
One of the new CS-Plus woofers with an S-1000 amp would absolutely rock! If you don't need all that much bass, you could get something like a 20-39PC, for a convenient all-in-one package. You will not be disappointed.
If you're considering the Hsu VTF-2 that TV mentioned, I can vouch for that little guy. It's one heck of a sub, and arguably the best one under $500. I set up my friend's home theater with that sub.

Arron H

Second Unit
After reading a few of the reviews, the 20-39PC sounds exactly like what I'm looking for - a sub that won't overwhelm the rest of my system when listening to music and yet, still delivers butt kicking bass for HT. The $749 price listed on the SVS website also fits within my budget. Thanks for the tip!

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron, from everything I've read, you'll be extremely pleased with SVS, very nice choice :)
Also, as a side note, I find it quite refreshing that whenever Tom or Ron reply to a direct subwoofer question directly related to specific, non-SVS products, they never push anyone towards there company, as most people would; even when they clearly make dominant subs right now. Kudos to that.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Thanks, TV. How about the SVS subs? I think I could integrate one of the 16 inch diameter SVS subs in nicely. I think it would be easier to add a cylinder rather than a box shaped sub given available floor space. Do the SVS subs blend well with music and provide adequate bass extension for HT?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks