What's new

M&K MX-350 MK II THX or SVS (2 Viewers)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
I've been toying with the idea of getting a whole new speaker system from M&K (S-150's) and a MX-350 sub. I was wondering how the MX-350 compares to the SVS line of subs. I know that 350 hits pretty damn hard, and I've read nothing but greatness from SVS.
I currently own a Klipsch KSW-300 15" Sub, and Klipsch Synergy's all around (10.5's x 4, C5 Center).
Any help would be great.
BTW, I'm already sold on Tom and Ron's customer service ;) They rock!
Thanks!
Chris

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris, it's hard to gauge the 350s performance because there's little objective performance data available for it. We can use the MK 125mkII numbers from TN...since the driver compliment is the same(the same model twin 12s),the enclosures appear to be the same(at least in overall dimensions)...and the amp differences are well documented at the MK site(150w vs. 350w).

Looking at this, it would appear the best case scenario for the 350 would to have 125 performance +4dB.

If you add 4dBs to the Mk125 numbers from TN, you'd get

20hz/93dB

25hz/99dB

25-63hz/109.3dB

The only numbers on SVs from TN is the old 20-39cs subs. The current 20-39s are improved substantially.(be sure to check out the updated FRC driver pictures at the SVS website this weekend!).

At $1199(about 2/3 the price of the 350)...our old 39s hit.

97dB/20hz

111.8dB/25hz

115.5/25-63hz.

Or about 2x the clean bass output for 2/3 the price.

The current 20-39s offer anywhere from 1-4dB more clean output depending on the freq.(in my tests).

If you're looking in the $1500 range...I'd definitely consider the dual 20-39CS+/S1000 combo too. This would be another 2-5dB over the old 20-39 numbers I'm guessing.(or about 3-4x the performance for about the same price.(assuming you can get 10-15% off the MK))

TV

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Tom,

Are the numbers you quote from TN for a single old model 20-39, or a pair of them?

Thanks

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

You're the man! Thanks for the quick response.

Sounds like the SVS route would be the way to go. Yeah, the M&K runs for about $1800 to $2000. I think I'm already warmed up the the price/performace of the SVS woofs.

Now, taking Tom's data, I remembered that he did a test on my current sub (Klipsch KSW 300 - 15") and it tested pretty good. I remember him stating he pulled out 118 db from Clear and Present Danger on this sub in a Sound & Vision (or whatever it was called before S&V - I can't remember!!!) review. Do you have a link for his current/latest numbers? And so you can give me a better idea of what I can expect going from my Klipsch to SVS? That would be excellent!

You guys rock.

Chris

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Chris,
One of the admins on HTF has a site about his home theater you need to check out.
Specifically:
Link Removed

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
JB, that's for the dual 20-39cs/S700 package...$1199.
Chris, the ksw300 hit 106(25-63) and 25hz/92dB. It was a very good woof, but only >32-35hz. I think it would take about 8 ksw300s to equal the first octave output of the 20-39 package I mentioned above.
The new rsw15 looks like a very nice unit though. There's a cool subwoofer review at Link Removed that compares the SVS Ultras to the rsw15(and the HGS18 too!).
TV

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i started working at a hifi store back home over the Christmas break and the owner is a big M&K fan. i plan to bring in my soon-to-arrive 16-46+ & S1000 to compare against a few models. that's gonna be this summer and i already can't wait!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,
That sounds like a party to me!
If you can...set up the SVS package and the MK in the same corner...and calibrate them both to the same levels. Then using a simple $15 RS switch box...allow some folks to walk in and sit down for demos and keep score of which subwoofer was preferred more. Have some pipe organ CDs on hand too :)
Let the dealer know we'll be glad to talk to him about dealer status too.
TV

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Tom,

Are you guys selling retail now?!?

That would be just plain awesome. It's probably the only thing that kept me from getting an SVS in the first place (couldn't listen to it).

Jared

Brian Brown

Auditioning
Hi all,

I have a 350 and an svs ultra and love them both. If you do a proper setup they will blend very well together. If you haven't spent your money yet it would make more sense to get dual svs subs. I was thinking about selling my 350 so I could by another ultra but just not in a big hurry to change.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom,

Are you guys selling retail now?!?

That would be just plain awesome. It's probably the only thing that kept me from getting an SVS in the first place (couldn't listen to it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks