1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

M&K LCR-750 THX MkII; Phase Tech Teatro 4.5 and 6.5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Everett, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for new speakers for a home theater setup and wanted to ask anyone that owns any of these speakers for their thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    ------------------

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

The M&K setup you are considering is more than twice as much price wise as the Teatro line for Phase Tech. If you went with three Phase Tech 6.5's across the front and 4.5's in the rear, IMO, you would better the M&K 750 sound for less money. For the same money as the M&K 750 you could go with the Phase Tech PC line (2 2.1's front, 2 1.1's rear, 3.1 for the center) which would exceed by a good margin what the 750 could offer you. Give them both a listen, but IMO Phase Tech beats most other speakers at more than twice the price in both lines.

3. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

As a former owner of the M&K LCR750 set, I can vouch that they are a pretty awesome set of HT speakers for the price. I've never heard the Phase Tech Teatro line. The price for the M&K set is really not that expensive considering their quality, sound and that it's a complete system. If the Phase Techs are priced that much less and sound that good, then they are a great deal indeed. As always, a speakers sound and overall cohesiveness can only be considered by the person purchasing, so my recommendation is to always audition(in home if possible) all of your picks. I only got rid of the 750s to upgrade to the M&K S150s across the front. I still have the Surround 550s from the 750 set as my current surrounds and love them. My 2 cents
    ------------------
    -Kevin

4. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

We reviewed the Teatro 4.5's. We were very impressed by the incredibly flat response we got from them, and overall liked them very much. While we didn't feel the 4.5's were the best solution to a left/right speaker, they certainly are nice speakers. The 6.5s or even better the 7.5's certainly will fill the main speaker spot nicely though.
    Joel White
    Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

5. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Phase Technology is actually a spin off of McIntosh, and developes many of the drivers for Mac's current line. A couple of decades back when they were one and the same, is when Phase developed the soft dome tweeter. They are totally in-house. They make their own drivers down to the voice coils, and their crossovers are the real deal. There upcoming kick butt subwoofer line will feature McIntosh amps.

6. Matt Everett

Thanks for all your help! I decided to go with the Phase Technology setup, since it's much cheaper and very high quality to boot. I'll post a review after I've had them for a while.
    Thanks again,
    Matt
    ------------------

7. Matt Everett

I've had the Teatro 4.5's as my main speakers for about a month now, which has been enough time to work out speaker placement and to spend plenty of time listening to them. I thought I would post my impression for the sake of anyone interested in these speakers.
    For the first couple of days, I'll admit that I was somewhat unhappy with their performance. The higher frequencies were quite impressive, having a good amount of presence without being harsh or fatiguing, but the midrange seemed too pronounced and the bass was too imprecise and overbearing. These are my first pair of bass-reflex speakers, and I am convinced they are more sensitive to placement issues than acoustically sealed speakers.
    I moved the speakers, which were about 12 inches from the wall, to about 22 inches away. What a difference! The heavy, blotty bass went away and was replaced with tighter, punchier bass. I'll take bass quality over quantity any day. With the bass problem fixed, the midrange and high end now balance out much, much better. Instead of sounding like good speakers are playing off in the distance, the sound is very immediate and well-defined. I think the 4.5's have really good mid-range for the money. Guitars and saxophones sound nice and warm, but without much coloration, and without losing definition.
    I still imagine that a good M&K setup might sound a little better, but after I get a couple more 4.5's and a 6.5, I'll have a really good quality surround system (minus subwoofer) for less than $600! Even if I can afford to upgrade in a few years, I haven't dropped a lot of money into the Teatro system, and it will definitely be worth what I spent.
    Thanks to everyone for your advice!
    ------------------

8. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Matt,
    I may be biased but I'm a dealer for M&K and it is the ONLY speaker we sell. It's very easy to sell M&K because they sound so well and are used by many music and movie studios.
    The 750 package is very popular and we pair them always with an Integra DTR 9.1 receiver.
    I'm not too experienced with Phase Technology. I don't know of any dealer here in the Greater Toronto Area who sells them. The best thing to do is to try the two of them out and decide for yourself which is best for your needs.
    Please keep in mind that speakers do last a long time so I would recommend spending your money wisely. I also commend you for doing research on this important purchase you will be making soon.
    Anthony

9. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

As a 750 owner it has proven to be an excellent system for around $2200 (US) complete.
    Careful speaker placement, and calibration has yielded excellent 2 ch. as well as home theaeter perfromance.
    Again, I have not auditioned the Teatros myself, but did listen to several competing systems before settling on the M&K.
    Yes, they do supply many professional studios, but I would not use that endorsement to say for that reason how could you go wrong?
    The 'sound' could just not be for you. And again, break-in and proper setup will affect the results. That goes for any speakers.