1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

M&K K-5's vs. NHT SB-1's?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Daryl L, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I recently replaced the Integra DTR-7.2 for the H/K AVR8000 and got the H/KPA2000 amp to drive the Surround Back speakers. I planned on gradually replace my old Studio Monitor Infinity's with Paradigms so I started by purchasing the Paradigm CC-370.

After buying the pa2000 I needed two small speakers for the surround backs and Paradigm Atoms won't meet my bottom 80Hz desire and the rest are to large so I bought a pair of NHT's new SB-1's for my surround backs. Now I've always wanted some M&K's but don't want to use 4ohm speakers. I noticed today I could get M&K K-Series K-5's 8 ohm speakers for basicly the same price as the NHT SB-1's. I'm in not position to got listen to any M&K's locally and can't travel to do so. And Even though the AVR8000 is a warm sounding receiver the SB-1's aluminum tweeter is a bit bright and the Paradigm as wonderful as it sounds kinda lacking in the mid frequencies compared to my Infinity's but am prepared to stick with my initial plan to replace the L/R main infinity's with Paradigm Monitor 3's and just replace the two NHT's with M&K K-5's

I never turn my volume above -25 so I'm not to demanding on my speakers. In a 13.5 x 13.5 x 8 room

Has anybody had an opertunity to listen to these two models. I'm pretty sure M&K's K-5 neodymium dome tweeter should not sound quit as bright as the SB-1's. If the M&K K-5 is a good soudning speaker compared to SB-1's and a close performer to Paradigm Monitor 3's I may just get five K-5's and two K-4 tripoles for my 7.1 setup. Atleast that way I'll be timbre matched all around. I already have a SVS 25-31PCi(22Hz tunned) sub so my lows are handled with no problem and I always use 80Hz crossover in the receivers setup. All advice greatly appreciated.

2. JonathanOh

JonathanOh Agent

Well, I found this post doing a search.

It's about a month after your first post but I have auditioned both of these and...

I like the SB-1s a little better though I think the comparison is a bit biased as the K5s only go down to 100hz and I could not find a way to change the reciever's cross over. I am pretty sure they would have sounded better, fuller and more dynamic, if I could have crossed over at a higher frequency.

IMO, M&K K7s (4 ohm) are better than the SB-1s. The K7s are more epensive by $100 per speaker. The NHT is probably a better value.

Just my .02

3. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

HEHEHE, Actually it's about 1 year and 1 month after my post but thanks. [​IMG] I ended up getting M&K K-7's across the front, and NHT SB-1's as my 2 rear surround speakers in a 7.1 speaker setup.