M&K K-5 speakers, anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidSugar, Oct 30, 2002.

1. DavidSugar

DavidSugar Auditioning

The salesman has suggested the following configuration for my new theater room which is 22 x 15 x 8.

4 M&K K-5 speakers
    1 M&K K-7 for the center channel
    M&K K-9 subwoofer

Total msrp is about $1,400. I will get a discount. $1,400 is about the top of my budget, although I am a little flexible.

I am not very knowledgeable about speakers, most of what I know comes from reading this forum. The room will be used 50 percent TV, 40 percent movies, 10 percent music. We want a good system, but are not audiophiles. As the room is really our family room, my wife is seriously opposed to big floor standing speakers. She thinks the little white Bose satellite speakers look great. I have nixed the Bose speakers based on what I have learned here. Book shelf speakers mounted on brackets are probably the largest that I can get past her and her decorator.

The rest of the suggested setup is Mitsubishi 55411, Denon 1803.

I have a few questions:

1. Has any one used these speakers, are they good, they appear to be a somewhat budget version of very high end speaker company(they apparently helped Lucas develop THX).
    Are they adequate for the room size?

2.Does the Denon 1803 make sense with the system?

3. Should I use a SVS subwoofer instead of their's and if so which one? Not being audiophiles I'm not sure what to look for. Size is a factor for the wife.

4.There are several other speakers in the K line; are these the correct ones for my room.

BTW They sounded great in the showroom but that was the showroom, I'm not that knowledgeable and I am always skeptical of a salesman.The store has the best return policy of any in the US, no kidding!!! The customer is always right(ABT in Chicago).

Thanks in advance.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I am not too familiar with the k series but overall M&K makes great stuff. I doubt you will do better. Great subwoofers, and the satellites are known to be extremely accurate. If I was in your shoes I would go with it.

The 1803 should be fine.

I cannot comment on other configurations. With a return policy like that, I would take them home and try them out. That is the best thing you can do.

-rob

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

M&K makes great stuff, but this is their lower end, really small system. I'm not entirely sure that your money isn't better spent at a place like this:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com
    I got my buddy a whole system from them, including Hsu VTF-2 for around $1200. It absolutely rocks.
    The trouble I can see w/ the M&K system is that the satellites are so small, they might not blend well w/ the sub using a standard 80 Hz crossover point.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Also, if size is a factor for the wife as far as the sub goes, I don't think you'll be able to get away w/ the SVS. Unless of course, she only cares about minimal floorspace usage, and not visual intrusion.

5. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I use M&K K-7's in my 13 x 13 x 8 room with a SVS 25-31PCi(22hz tuned) and a H/K AVR8000 receiver. They sound better than my old Infinity 105 Studio Monitors. They also sound better than the Paragigm CC-370 center channel I tried for 3 months. I haven't listened to the K-5's or any M&K subs but they being the same minus 1 mid/woofer I'm sure you'll love their sound. For your room size I think they'll be OK. If byou can swing for all K-7's that would be better for the room size.

6. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

Yes the M&K sats are very nice. The if you wanna move up you could go for 3 K-7s on the front or a pair of K-4s for the surrounds.