M&K and building my tower !!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mishal Sweat, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Mishal Sweat

Mishal Sweat Extra

hi guys ..

ok i was planing to get M&K 750 THX Select System over here in dubai it will cost me aroun 2500 dollar new ..

what i was thinking since i got a great experience about car audio and electronics can i build my towers like selecting midranges tweeters make custom crossover !!

can i do these things with 2500 dollar ? is it gonna worth it ? it will be better than M&K ?

any helpful site to guid me ??

is 2500 dollar for the 750 is good ? what do u rate these speakers ? how much different in sound than the M&K 150 THX Ultra ??

is M&K a good brand ??what brands u can compare it with M&K ..

thanks alot .......

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Read this first - link. Do you still want to design something from scratch? If not, stop by the DIY section of HTF and inquire about kits or published designs.

-Robert

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you haven't built your own network before, and don't have the gear to test, I would say either buy a kit or buy something from a speaker manufacturer.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

The reason many of us buy commerical products (Klipsch, Athena, etc.) is because we don't have the tools or knowledge to make a speaker as good as they do.

My JBL HLS speakers were designed by THREE audio engineers out of college as their first project. IIRC, they spent almost a FULL YEAR developing the system.

Not easy stuff to do well.

5. Mishal Sweat

Mishal Sweat Extra

ok thanks guys ..

so the problem i am facing is the crossover network it's the hardest thing ... hummmmm

ok can u tell me where to find some good crossover network ?

do u think if i got some speakers from Partsexpress or some drivers from high-end company like Morel Dynaudio and then get nice crossover i will get good result ?

any one here built his towers before ?

the only reason i am asking for these is that Home audio is so expensive more than car audio so i want to get good stuff at good price don't care about how my speaker gonna look from outside only the quality ..

thanks again .....

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You won't be likely to find an off the shelf x-over that will work perfectly even with specifically chosen drivers. It's not that simple or every joe schmoe would be able to do it. That's why I recommend a kit, there's not guessing if the parts are going to work together, because someone has already figured that out.

There are a number of kits avaiable at PE. www.gr-research.com, www.adireaudio.com, www.madisound.com

7. Mishal Sweat

Mishal Sweat Extra

ok man i got ur point ...

humm then can u tell me if i got one of these kits and some component is it gonna be great ? can it be considers a high-end speaker ?

------

i have in my car the Dynaudio Esotar 2 way set , and i am thinking of taking it out and put some new speakers in my car so what do u think about the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter ? it's 8ohm .. if i want to get a kit for this set i can get it ?

what kit with speakers u recommended me to get with like 150wRMS for music only and it will beat the normal speaker on the market like BOSE JBL Yamaha PIONEER the normal line ..

damn i feel it's very hard cause i don't know if am gonna like the result or not ..

thanks alot ......

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It doesn't take much to beat Bose. This kit from CSS is a start. Add this
    proven budget sub and you will have a small system that will crush a Bose system in both price and quality. There are thousands of other choices that will meet your requirements.

-Robert

9. Mishal Sweat

Mishal Sweat Extra

wow man .. thats so cheap and amazing price ..

ok can u guide me for little bit better than these kits? leave the sub it's easy for me .

i am looking to spent more than 1000 dollar for the kit i don't know if i can get amazing things ..

i like smooth detailed sound no need for harsh or bright things .

ok now i am little bit confused ..[​IMG] the kit are available for 5.1 Cenima system and for 2 channle music system ? or what ?

what are some of the most expensive kits and speakers that will be copmared with high-end products ?

i know my questions are stupid but i am newbi ..

thanks again .......

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You need to sit back and just read here for a while. Also, browse some of the links above and look at the different kits available. Deterimine what is involved in building one and match your skills up with it. Do you have access to a wood shop? Do you have the soldering skills? Do you have the time?

-Robert

11. Mishal Sweat

Mishal Sweat Extra

thank u very much ..

i will sit back and read ..

i have access to a wood shop i have soldering skills i have time i am good in electronics hehe.

thanks man .[​IMG]