M&K 750 MKII THX Select

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdQ, Jul 8, 2002.

1. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

I have been checking out some M&K Speakers and found these. They sound pretty good.

The local store wants to sell me

(1) Center 750 THX MKII
    (2) LCR-750 THX MKII
    (4) Surround-550 THX

for $2300 is this a good price??

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Edq,
    I considered these speakers as well my local shop quoted me around $1500 without the sub I believe around $2400 with the sub are you sure he didn't include the sub in that price? I opted to go with paradigm studio 100s and cc for around $2200 I have some mirage towers for surrounds [​IMG] there are lots of great speakers out there take your time before you make a decision check out the studio series maybe 40s or 60s for your receiver the 100s are a bastard to drive[​IMG]
    good luck Bob

3. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the comments Bob. The price did not include a sub, but I wanted 2 more surrounds. Maybe that made up for the cost of the sub.
    And yes I am taking my time, that is why I am here. Hoping to get some advice from seasoned vets. [​IMG]
    I'll check out some of your other recommendations.

4. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Ed,
    According to M&K's website , the list prices are:
    LCR 750THX - $750/pair
    Center 750THX - $375
    Surround 550THX - $595/pair
    Sub 1250THX - $950
    So, $2300 is just about dead on list price. You should probably be able to get the whole set for a little bit less than list. Are you not looking for a sub as well?
    On a side note, I have the 750 THX set (although not the MKII, I guess my set is the previous version of the same speakers) and drive them with an Integra 7.1 and have been very happy with my setup. Good luck with your decisions!

5. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Ed,
    I just set up that exact system for a friend of mine except instead of (4) Surround 550's I had (2) Surround 550s and (2) Surround 55's (Tripoles) to complete 7.1.
    The S-55's on the side and the 550's on the rear. The system sounds incredible. They really do fill up the room. The .1 was provided by the M&K 350. It's a great sub.
    All I can say is you won't be disappointed. They are all being driven by the Harman Kardon 8000 receiver with their 2-channel amp for the surround backs.
    You might be getting an email from a fellow Home Theater Forum member. That's up to him (if he sees this). He'll take care of you [​IMG]
    As for me, I have the S-150 system with (2) M&K 350's. You can't go wrong with M&K. They make great stuff.
    Happy hunting!
    Chris

6. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

I got quoted
    $1375 for 5 750THX speakers or
    $1275 for 3 750THX + 2 550 THX.

I was also quoted $950 for the 150 THX Subwoofer. That was the best price that I found for the whole system. I would definately go with the 150 or 350 THX for a sub rather then the 1250. If you like bass, definately go with the 2 better subs.

You can find better prices on the internet, but the speakers wont be covered by waranty. This dealer was an authorized M&K dealer.

I was definatly interested in the M&K line until I did thorough listing of music rather then movies. I eventually changed my mind. If you watch primarily movies, you can't go wrong with M&K, but if you do extensive music listening, you will definately feel like you are missing something.

As the above post stated I also ended up going going with a Paradigm setup.

Studio 60 fronts
    studio CC Center
    studio ADP rears
    PW2200 Sub

B&K 305 Receiver.

BTW, the M&K dealer is in LA and I can get you his info if interested.

Raffi

I couldnt be happier.

7. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan: Sounds like they are trying to get me to pay list. I don't think so. [​IMG] Nope don't need a Sub. I demo'ed both the MX-150 MK II THX ULTRA and the Microstar at home. I was suprised that the Microstar sounded better.
    Chris Rein: That is a thought, Tripoles for the side-surrounds. Gotta check into that.
    Raffi A: $1375 / 5 = $275 ea. $275 * 7 = $1925.
    Yep, they are charging me too much. I want the warranty. I just want to make sure I am paying a resonable amount.
    Thanks.

8. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I payed 2400 for 3 750s 2 550s and 1 thx mx150. I love them and for the size of my room have yet to meet their equal.