M&K 1250THX, pb-10 or Para PW-2200 all for the same price which would you take?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by AngeloEug, Apr 6, 2005.

1. AngeloEug

AngeloEug Stunt Coordinator

I'm just curious...I've been stumbling over some "deals" lately and I'm curious to see what fellow HTF'ers would do.

If you had the choice of these subs ONLY all for the same price (which I will leave out) which would you make your lifelong mate?

I'm talking almost down to the penny...and for all types of uses, HT, music, TV, HD, gaming etc.

Factor in your room size and list it if possible but forget WAF, size of the cabinet (since they're all pretty close) warranty, and focus solely on performance.

Thanks for the poll

2. AngeloEug

I forgot to throw Rocket's UFW-10 into the mix...easy pick out of the 4 subs?

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

To me, the choice is easy. The PB10. But, if you don't have a lot of flexibility with placement, then the UFW-10 may be the better option. You will most likely encounter a room mode, and the Rocket sub will be the only one that can overcome that.

4. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

If it had to be 'all purpose' I'd pick the PB10 first, then the 'diggy, then the M&K or the UFW. The PEQ in the UFW is a nice feature as Mr. Tran mentioned. It also has a nice veneer that a couple others don't even have an option for (don't know if the Paradigm has that as an option, but I'me pretty sure the M&K and SVS do not).

Mike

5. AngeloEug

Just an FYI, I stopped in to the Local Magnolia HI-FI and I brought my trusty subwoofer test cd.

The salepeople's eyes popped out of their heads when I started playing sines to their floor room subs with one of their "younger" associates.

They kept saying, what is that? Is something broken? What's happening...Ha! It was great!

These assoc. in "hi-fi" stores didn't even know what the heck was playing...what type of qualifications do you need to work at such a place?

At any rate...I was pleasantly surprised by an M&K 1250's performance!

I got output from the sub all the way down to 11Hz! At 10Hz the sub was just "moving" but the filters must have kicked in at that point.

I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, the pb-10 stops at 14Hz" the subs nowadays are nothing short of amazing!

I also listened to a REL, lower end Def Tech, Boston (it was in the room) and we tried to get a SuperCube going but there was a terrible ground hum from the poor install job in the "hi-end" room.

The guy thought that I was playing the sines again but I told him that the hum was ground noise but he didn't believe me until I showed him that the test disc was still in my hands.

Surprisingly, most of the subs (some 8" and 10") had some output at about 25Hz, lots of compression and audible distortion though and the gains, when we first started playing were cranked to about 8/10's I kept telling the guy to turn the gains down on all the subs to 1/2 or 1/3 to prevent damage.

Anyhoos, that was a lunch well spent and again, I was pleasantly surprised from the M&K's output down to 11Hz! I can just imagine pipe organs at 16Hz with this thing! Pretty cool.

Maybe the M&K might fair pretty well against the PB-10 for "all around sub" if it was exactly the same price.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

From those for the same price I'd go with the PW2200. It's closer to a PB12 in performance than a PB10.

7. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

PW2200.

It is comparable to the SVS subs just above the PB10 line. I own the PW2100 which I would say is more simliar to the PB10 (from reviews I've read). The 12" driver of the PW2200 is going to give you the increased performance.

8. AngeloEug

Go figure...the 2200 was "swooped" up pretty quickly! Nice to know how great of a performer it is. I realized though, after further review that it was an earlier version with 250rms rather than the newer 400rms but still a worthy opponent no doubt!