M-Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samuel Des, May 3, 2002.

1. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

People often say that the M-Audio 24/96 is good for music but bad for games, recommending "lower tier" cards for games. I wonder why that might be? I will probably purchase the M-Audio card, but can't see why it should be bad for games.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Don't know for sure either- but it's probably a compatibility issue. I know professional cards have trouble interfacing with windows sound mapping-- I know my ECHO doesn't work all that well with internal windows applications (they all have their own built in routing/volume mixer applications and require that you use them as the audio device directly).

Also, when you start getting into pro cards- they tend to be a bit more picky about sampling rates (allowing you to lock them to spcific rates for example)-- which also tends to through a monkeywrench in using regual windows audio.

I have a M-Audio in my HTPC- and it took like 20 tries dicking with the settings to get it to pass proper digital audio for DVD- I can't really imagine wanting to risk my working config in order to play games.

-V

3. Samuel Des

Wow -- I guess there is such as thing as too much. I really want a quality sound card for pass through, but will also use the machine for games. This makes me a little hesitant,

4. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

I suggest that you also post your question at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=26
    This is the Home Theater and Computers board at AVS Forum.
    There is a lot of discussion on the M-Audio cards. One of the frequent posters is from
    DigitalConnectionswhich sells the M-Audio cards and works with M-Audio on driver development.
    You could also call or e-mail them with your questions.
    [​IMG]

5. Samuel Des

Thanks for the tip Carl. [​IMG]

6. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I have an M-Audio 24/96 and a SBLive XGamer 5.1... The M-Audio does not support any of the gaming systems like EAX for surround sound in gaming...its only a 2 channel card. That is why you would want to get another card for games. For mp3s and DD/DTS however, the M-Audio is very hard to beat.

7. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

Hi...

I have two systems in place. My HTPC and my workstation. One is for DVD, the other is for Games and animation. In the HTPC, I have an M-Audio 24/96. In the Workstation I have a soundblaster platinum 5.1 with Hoontech bracket at the rear. Games on the Workstation play so well its a dream come true. Medal of Honor is a peach (thanx in part to the Ge Force 4 Ti 4600).

However, when I tried to install same game on the HTPC, it did not want to know. The game just froze after the point where the EA logo starts. No matter what I tried, it would not play. I ran the Direct x diag to see if there were any issues, and it noted that the M-Audio card had no hardware buffering. So, I can only assume that the game knows this and decides it would rather watcha DVD. Shame, cos MOH on the big screen is not only mental, but it also gives you the edge over other players!!!!!

So, thats my little 24/96 gamer 2 cents worth.

C

8. Samuel Des

Do any of the M-Audio cards have game support? e.g., Delta 410