M.A.S.K. Cartoon series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad M, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

I'm taking a chance that someone reading this will remember this 80s cartoon series. It was a cartoon that was used to promote a toy line. (A really cool toy line.) The good guys, M.A.S.K. fought the bad guys, V.E.N.O.M. Any word on if this will be given the dvd treatment?

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Wow, that's a flashback. I remember this. I still have some of the toys. The motorcycle that turned into helicopter. The truck that turns into a ... truck with armor. [​IMG]
    I don't remember the cartoon itself very well. However, here's a link to the page at TVShowsOnDVD.com
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/showinfo.cfm?showID=5094

3. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I remember this show. It was actually pretty cool and it sort of fed on the popularity of Transformers at the time.
    I remember the leader of the bad guys had a plane that turned into a helicopter (yeah, I know) and the leader of the good guys had a Camaro that runed into a flying vehicle (the doors were the wings).
    I wouldn't mind watching this again on DVD. Although I remember it had a pretty strong 80's soundtrack. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    [​IMG]

4. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

At least a couple of us have heard of it.

And anything 80s is good. :b

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I remember MASK; I just didn't watch it. Like Gobots, it got passed over in favor of Transformers, Voltron, He-Man, and later on She-Ra. Oh, and Scooby-Doo of course. [​IMG]

6. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

DiC Entertainment was the studio to put them out. Now I'm glad some of their titles are starting to come out, like Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros. show, and coming this May is the release of Street Sharks.

7. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I loved mask, even had some of there toys, another one that comes to mind, maybe it is because I loved the theme song was silverhawks! What a great show! Ah yes the 80's

R~

8. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

You mean M.A.S.K. wasn't a figment of my imagination? That show was really cool.
    That, The Galaxy Rangers & Jem are at the top of my cartoon want list right now. [​IMG]

9. David Lambert

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

David,

I think Sarah was talking about "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers". It was a cartoon in the 80's. It was set in the future where space was like the Wild West and the Galaxy Rangers were the law. Each had a special ability.

I have all of the episodes(around 65). I also have been speaking to a rep at Gaylord Entertainment. They own the rights to the show. They are looking at bringing the show back in either syndication or on dvd/vhs.

11. David Lambert

Ah, I'd forgotten about that one. Late '80's, wasn't it?
    Sorry for the mix-up! Power Rangers would still be good though. Voltron would be better! [​IMG]

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jem is out on VHS from Rhino. Sales stunk so it's unlikely to see a DVD any time soon.

Voltron is owned by Trimark, who have put out a bunch of videotapes. They only own the rights to the Go-Lion episodes, as the "Vehicle Voltron" (something-15) rights have expired. THey are thinking about a DVD release, but we've made very clear to them, NO OSL=NO SALE! If Rhino can do it so can they

Why not buy the original shows from Japan for Power Rangers, the plots are actually quite a bit deeper (but not so deep that you would actually need translation). For example the original series was called "ZyuRanger"

13. David Lambert

Jeff, replying in order:
    Jem is only a loss for my wife, not for me! She wouldn't mind having it at all, but I agree that the show just would not sell enough on DVD for Rhino to bother.
    I've been in touch with Trimark now and again about Voltron. They've been claiming to be "thinking about it" for almost a year now. [​IMG] I wish they'd get off their space mice and get on with it!
    As for Power Rangers...this is definately for my son, not for me. So the "deeper, more adult, more SciFi-ish" Japanese shows are NOT gonna be up that 4-year-old's alley. He wants *JASON*, *TOMMY*, *JUSTIN* (yuch), *ANDROS*, *LEO*, *SKY COWBOY*, *WES & ERIC*, and whoever the new bunch are. I've downloaded some Japanese episodes of TimeRanger for him. He was interested enough, but it just didn't bring out the same excitment levels. Do you blame him?

14. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    I remember MASK had a wicked episode with the statue of liberty. The premise was was that the statue could be lowered into the ground and there was a hidden tunnel. It had a magician making the statue "disappear" by lowering it into the ground. It was wicked. Does anyone else remember this episode? I'm amazed that I can remember it so well. I believe the ultimate premise was some bad guys were stealing lipazaner (sp?) stallions by sneaking em through the tunnel.

cheers!

Josh

15. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    And here I thought I was the only one who ever watched M.A.S.K.

I loved that show. It was my favorite cartoon, even more than Transformers. I hope it eventually makes it to DVD. It's not like there were a ton of episodes.

I had all the first-release toys and many of the second. Unfortunately, my baby brother (well, he was a baby back then. Now he's about to get his driver's license) pretty much destroyed them all. I'd love to acquire some of them for nostalgia's sake, but I've seen the going-prices on eBay.

16. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

I remember the Statue Of Liberty episode. I would probably remember most of the episodes as much as I watched it.
    And be glad you still have your toys no matter what shape they're in. When I turned 16 I sold all of mine so I could buy some cassettes. If I could go back in time, I'd slap the hell out of 16 year old self. [​IMG] One day I might bid on a few.

17. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

18. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

I remember their little base- wasn't it a gas station? And their round table/meeting room had this automatic thing that put their masks on them? Man it's been a long time.

19. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

I was the manager of a toy store when this show was on and I remember the kids coming in to buy the toys.

Jeez, you guys are making me feel old and I'm only in my mid-thirties!