What's new

M*A*S*H Season Sets (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Mark, I think your confused. There are multiple specials for M*A*S*H, not just one.

I'm aware there are bonus features in these three DVD's, I own the complete series and I believe all three disc that contained bonus content that were later released after the complete collection as a set, have been in my DVD drive at least once each. I know I've at least watched the special with narration by Shelley Long, and probably some of the other content.

My post is specifically about 1 M*A*S*H special talked about earlier in this thread, titled "Making M*A*S*H", narrated by Mary Tyler Moore. It isn't mentioned in the contents of the three disc at the TVShowsonDVD link I posted, and I really don't feel like getting up and checking all three disc to verify it isn't there right now.

Simply because FOX has included bonus content on those three DVD's released in the complete collection and seperately, is hardly proof that it has to be there like you seem to think.

I was simply hoping it was on another disc from one of the season sets since I hadn't encountered it on those last three disc as far I could remember, so I thought I'd ask after reading this thread today when it got bumped after being idle for several years.

Your post confirms that it couldn't be on any other disc, so its safe to say that Making M*A*S*H isn't on these DVD's I'd say.

Edited by LeoAmes - 8/12/2009 at 02:26 am GMT
Edited by LeoAmes - 8/12/2009 at 02:27 am GMT

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Leo, trust me. Fox did not, I repeat, did not include any bonus materials on any of their DVD Season Sets for MASH. I'm referring to the fatpacks that were originally released, the DVD fatpacks. If you want verification on this, just ask anyone here. I should know. I bought each set as they were released. If you want further proof, send a question to Dave and Gord through their website.

The only bonus features that have been made available are the bonus features that were included on a special disk included with the Martini's Complete Collection. These bonus features were eventually released in a separate DVD release for fans who already had the previous sets released by Fox Home Video.

There are no other bonus features that Fox Home Video has released.

If you're referring to something different, then you are out of luck because Fox hasn't released any other M*A*S*H archived features nor have they announced that they plan to in the future.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Mark, thanks for the great reply and taking the time to reply back to me, but I was only ever interested if that 1 special was included since there's a great many disc I haven't played yet. I was hoping it was buried somewhere in the complete collection since it was often syndicated with the tv show, or that I perhaps had missed it on those last three disc. Or perhaps it even saw a standalone DVD release from whatever company that produced it.

Your first post to me after inquiring about that special stated that Making M*A*S*H was indeed on the last three DVD's.Then I asked for confirmation since it's not listed on TVShowsonDVD's rundown of the contents of those three disc and that I was pretty sure I hadn't saw it on the three disc you implied it was on.
Then for some reason, you started posting about things I never asked about? While it was great information, I only hoped you'd reply back stating that yes, Making M*A*S*H (The subject of most of this thread and the subject of the question I asked about that you attempted to answer) was included as bonus content like your initial reply stated, and hopefully tell me what disc it was on.
Seeing that you were confused about our discussion, I tried to clarify that I was specifically inquiring about the special that Mary Tyler Moore narrated when the show was going off the air, titled Making M*A*S*H, which in your first post to me you said was included. I'm not talking about the series finale if that's what you thought, I'm well aware it was included in that standalone release with two disc of bonus contemt, and that it's the same last three disc in my complete collection.
Anyways, I thought I'd take one last crack at it to explain to you what I've been asking all along since you haven't been reading my post correctly, and I don't want you to think I'm a nut that isn't reading your replies to me. All along, I just wanted to know if that one special was included, and after you said yes, have you confirm that you meant it since it didn't appear to be in the disc you said it was.
Anyways, it obviousily isn't included on the complete collection and a internet search barely brings up anything about the special, so it's obvious its not on DVD.
Edited by LeoAmes - 8/12/2009 at 07:56 am GMT

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I don't think you're a nut and what I posted was the truth. (1) There was no bonus content on any of the individual DVD season sets and (2) the only bonus content officially released by Fox was in the Complete Series Set.

The special you're referring to is a separate entity altogether: Click Me

It was never part of the television series and neither was it released through the official DVD's from Fox. The special was one of those retrospective specials that networks do to commemorate a TV series. I believe they did similar special for shows like Three's Company and I Love Lucy.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Thanks
I know exactly what it was, that's why I was asking about it in the first place. ;)
You got my hopes up when I initially asked if it was here and you said it was indeed on the set, despite it actually not being on there...

I was hoping it was available, similar to how the three other retrospective specials were included on the DVD's (Memories of M*A*S*H hosted by Shelley Long for the 20th anniversary, the 30th anniversary reunion special from a few years ago, and the A&E Biography special about the show are all on the complete collection).
Only thing missing besides Making M*A*S*H that I'm aware of is a horrible special done by that E! channel, which lived up to their usual poor standards.
Hopefully Making M*A*S*H becomes available someday on DVD. It was often syndicated along with the show, so I'm surprised they didn't try to get it includedon the complete set.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What E! special would that be ? There was also a fun, gossipy Behind The Sitcoms segment on Fox.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It was an episode of this series: Made the mistake trying to watch that special and didn't get very far before turning it off, despite being a M*A*S*H fan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E!_True_Hollywood_Story
I would suggest contacting the studio and see if it's available ...

I already tried, turns out it was produced by PBS and is unavailable on DVD.

Still puzzled why you sent us down this detour by telling me this special was included on the set when I asked about it...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm reviving this thread since I've recently noticed something.

Now I have all seasons of M*A*S*H - bought each one as they were released, and I bought the extra final movie to get the extras that were included in the box set. And I've watched these episodes numerous times. By an odd coincidence, when I got my 16:9 HDTV we were watching in Season 3, and we generally watch an episode before going off to sleep each night. So for months we went through seasons 3 through 11, and everything was fine.

After we finished the run through M*A*S*H, we decided to give them a rest and used THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW as our nightly comedy before bedtime. Five seasons of that, and then we moved on to the four seasons of THE BOB NEWHART SHOW. So it had been awhile since we'd seen M*A*S*H, so about a month-and-a-half ago, it was time to restart M*A*S*H.

This is where my surprise revelation occurred: the menu screens on the first two seasons are 16:9 anamorphic! That was quite unexpected, yet not unprecedented by FOX. The menus for THE TIME TUNNEL are also anamorphic.

It's not a big deal or anything, but it was kind of a nice unexpected surprise.

Oh, and Season One has that other little extra - if you have a SONY DVD player that supports it, there's a title still frame that the player reads before you even hit "play", letting you know which disc is in the player. I wish other DVD authors had included that.

Harry

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Late to the party on this, but I finally started watching Season 1 set and I noticed the lip synch is off. Has this been mentioned before? It's not my system because I have several older TV season sets and it's not an issue. But the audio is a fraction ahead of the lips on this set. I've tried to adjust my Yamaha receiver to compensate but can't.
Still, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching these without the laugh track. They are so much better without that annoying distraction from the great writing. But you do notice the built in pauses to allow for laughter on some of the jokes, which through the pace off a bit. But it's a much better and more appropriate serious (at times) show without that track. Nice move for Fox TV on that.

Hollywoodaholic said:
Late to the party on this, but I finally started watching Season 1 set and I noticed the lip synch is off. Has this been mentioned before? It's not my system because I have several older TV season sets and it's not an issue. But the audio is a fraction ahead of the lips on this set. I've tried to adjust my Yamaha receiver to compensate but can't.
It is a rather technical thing, but this isn't necessarily the fault of the DVDs themselves. Apparently, there is something where the video and audio on DVD's are never in sync to start with, that they are normally brought into sync by the DVD Player it is being played on. For some reason, this sometimes fails to occur, whether it be for disc/player compatibility issues, or some other unknown cause. Perhaps you should try Season 1 in a different player (Or DVD Drive) to see if the same thing occurs. My wife has all 11 seasons of M*A*S*H, and this is something that I haven't noticed myself. CHEERS!

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
It's been speculated that it could have something to do with outdoor filming, and that much, if not all of the dialogue on the show, was re-recorded by the original actors in post-production, before the episodes could be aired.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sometimes I'll occasionally see the audio get out of synch on something and pausing or rewinding would fix it. I particularly noticed it on a player that was slowly dying but I've seen it occasionally since then on cheaper DVD player's if I'm not watching on my PS3. Out of sync audio doesn't have to be the fault of the media.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I attributed it to the fact that I was finally watching the show on a 55" LED HDTV and could really notice quite spectacularly for the first time that much of the dialogue is 'looped' so it is not exactly in sync.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks