M*A*S*H Season 4

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AllanN, Jul 11, 2003.

1. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Has anybody heard about the specs of this season? Specifically if there is a play all option? According to amazon.com its scheduled for release on July 15th.

2. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Please not another "I'm-too-lazy-to-push-two-buttons-between-episodes-thread". [​IMG]

3. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Is this any sillier than complaining about cover art or snapper cases? (I rank it between the two.)

For what it's worth, when I interviewed M*A*S*H TV series creator Larry Gelbart, his sole complaint about the DVDs--other than that Fox didn't ask him to contribute to them--is that they don't have a play-all feature.

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Sounds like the set-up for Season 4 will be the same as the first three seasons: all episodes remastered and uncut, with the optional removable laugh track, and no extras.

Which reminds me... did anyone catch the A&E Biography special on M*A*S*H last night? Nothing much I haven't seen before on other specials, including the 90's special "Memories of M*A*S*H" and the "M*A*S*H" reunion special, though there was some good behind-the-scenes footage used that I hadn't seen before, along with a rare series promo with Alan Alda, Harry Morgan, and Gary Burghoff, and a brief clip from "After M*A*S*H" in which Father Mulcahy regains some of his hearing after losing it in the series finale
    . These documentaries, outtakes, and bloopers would make good additions to the season sets.

Yet nothing was mentioned about the "Radar" one-shot spinoff or the "Trapper John M.D." spinoff series. The only reference to "M*A*S*H" was in the very first episode, in which Trapper calls out Hawkeye's name in a dream before waking up from the dream
    . Then it just goes on from there.

5. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

6. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    I picked up a copy of Season 4 at Removed last night (they must have put them out a little early). Specs are the same as previous seasons... no play all feature.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Play all features aren't necessarily mentioned on the box.

I was at a store last night and was being helped in their lockup area for box sets. I noticed that they had MASH S4 sitting in their, "for sale" as it were (this was a glass display on the floor, not a lockup area in the back room).

I saw that it was $10 more than I'll be able to buy it for on Tuesday, so instead of nabbing it I just mentioned to the salesman that this was put out before street date. He checked the computer and verified it, mentioned that it had arrived on 6/27 ( [​IMG] ), and said he was pulling it until Tuesday.

He showed his appreciation by giving me a $5 coupon good toward my next purchase. The coupon doesn't cover DVDs, unfortunately, but heck I'll want a cd or something else they sell sooner or later. So that's cool. [​IMG]

8. Sven Lorenz

Is the first episode the originally aired 50-minute episode or has it been split into two episodes like it was for later airings ?

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

10. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Question...

I own all the MASH boxed sets to date, but have
    had absolutely no time to watch them.

A questions about Trapper John leaving the show....

From sheer memory, I realize that at the end of
    Season III we lost Henry Blake when:

his plane crashed during the trip home

Season 4 introduces to the new commander, Henry
    Morgan.

But how and when did Trapper John leave the show?
    What were the circumstances of his leaving (and then
    being replaced by Hunnicut?

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

This is my first HTF post, so I hope I don't mess this up.

In the First Ep. of Season 4, we see Hawkeye returning from R and R and we find out when Hawkeye finds out that while he was gone, Trapper was given his orders to go home. So, Hawkeye leaves camp, and tries to catch him to say goodbye before his plane leaves, and ends up missing him by about 10 minutes. But, where Trapper left from, is also where BJ was to be picked up.

So, that's pretty much it, and I'd like to note that the E is missing from my last name, not that it matters for anything though.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the first few BJ, Potter, and Winchester years were my favorites of this show.
    it felt like they finally hit their own pace and until the last few seasons, when they became insufferably sanctimonious and preachy, it was some truly fine entertainment.

i've resisted picking up the first three seasons, but this is one i'll be there on tues. morning for.

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sounds like the actor that played Trapper John
    suddenly left the show without doing a "goodbye"
    episode.

There's a funny joke in one of the episodes of
    Family Guy where they make reference to how
    good a show M*A*S*H was until Alan Alda started
    directing episodes which suddenly became preachy.

15. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve

16. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I got this today and from the first disc the first episode started to block and then pixlate. Anyone else having problems? My players are the Malata n996 and the Sony 9000ES.

17. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Wayne Rogers left because he couldn't stand Gary Burghoff. Apparently they got into some very heated arguments...

18. Sven Lorenz

19. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

20. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Just to answer my own problems. It seems on the Malata there are problems, but on the Sony I tried it again and no problems. Thank you for your answers.