M*A*S*H Season 3 - "Winter 2003"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianK, Jul 14, 2002.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I got my copy of the Season 2 set today, and my initial joy was quickly dampened when I found a leaflet inside saying that the third season would be released in "Winter 2003".

Do we really have to wait more than a year for the next set? Since these sets don't feature anything by way of extra features, is there any reason why we couldn't have a new set every few months?

I know that Fox representatives read this forum, so I'd like to add that I think they're otherwise doing a superb job with the series: the episodes look great; the opportunity to watch them without the laugh track is appreciated (frankly, I wouldn't have bought them otherwise!); and they're very reasonably priced. Now just get them released more quickly, dagnabbit!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You're not the only one that doesn't realize that Winter 2003 means no later than March, probably January

December only has less than 2 weeks of Winter

3. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

You might be right, of course (let's hope so!)

When you say "Winter 2003", I think the vast majority of people would immediately start thinking of the last quarter of the year, not the first quarter.

4. Jeff Kleist

I'm 99% sure I'm correct

Fox needs to use "First Quarter" instead of winter, I got a ton of emails on Buffy Season 2, and I'm sure I'll get the same on MASH

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Fox definately means "Early 2003" here (Jan-Feb range).
    Jeff, I agree that less ambiguous wording is called for! I went through this sort of thing with videogame releases when I managed the retail store. Magazines would say, for example, "Winter 1991", and this would be during late 1990 and customers would be pissed that the title was "delayed". Just making up a typical example here...my memory isn't THAT good! [​IMG]

6. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

The DVD set of Season 1 had an insert that said Season 2 was coming in May, 2002. So I'm a little dubious about the reported Season 3 announement.

If anyone from Fox is reading this: Why does it take so long to release the MASH series? Is it for legal or technical reasons?

I love the fact that we can turn off the laugh track and also never would have bothered picking up the series if that hadn't been an option. If fact, I sort of wish the discs had been programmed and so that the non-laugh track was the default and the giggles had to be switched on if one really felt the need to be prompted when to laugh.

7. Jeff Kleist

It's the same reason why it takes so long for X-Files, Buffy, etc

They have a lot of TV product, it takes at least a month to author an average TV set, and that's once you have everything together and approved.

They also have other series to do. Fox has kept the 6 months between sets pattern, and I expect them to continue to do so for the foreseeable future

8. Craig Lafferty

They manage to release X-files twice a year and that is 7 DVD's with a fair amount of Extras. But Mash and The Simpsons (which to be fair it has some extras)dont' seem to be getting the same attention.

9. Jeff Kleist

Simpsons had some problems, probably music rights related which probably delayed season 2. MASH has had 2 sets this year (January and July) the same as X-Files and Buffy. It's not the # of discs, it's the UNIT that must be advertised, solicited and sold

10. Craig Lafferty

>It's not the # of discs, it's the UNIT that must be advertised, solicited and sold <

Yeah, good point. Any idea of Simpsons is going to pick up now or are they still having problems with rights?

Craig

11. Jeff Kleist

Rumor puts Season 3 around January

12. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Sort of related, one of my favorite MASH sites (http://www.mash4077.co.uk/) was shut down by FOX recently.
    This was on the site...