M*A*S*H Season 3 cover art

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 23, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Details have been available for a little while, but the cover art is FINALLY available:
    [​IMG]

2. Ron Kaye

Ron Kaye Agent

This looks like a joke. Tell me this isnt real!!

It looks like Radar and Henry's heads were pasted on smaller bodies.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It's real...I got it straight from Fox. Why does it seem like a joke? [​IMG]

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I don't see anything wrong with it! By the way, in what season that other colonel comes and also Alda’s partner change? I like his second friend a lot better. He is more “human“ and also opposite of Alda’s character which is always more interesting to have a contrast. I’m too lazy to go and find their correctly spelled names right now!

5. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

Man, it's a good thing the content is excellent, because the cover sucks
    What did they do? just reverse Radar and paste McLean Stevenson's head onto his body at a slant?
    Besides, wasn't Henry quite a bit taller than Radar?
    It's not like it's gonna stop me from buying it, but bleeeechhhhhh [​IMG]

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Those heads don't fit on those bodies, or at the least the sizes of Radar and Henry are out of proportion to one another. Looks like somebody was drunk while using Photoshop.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I hate noggin covers. More obnoxious I think are the American flag backgrounds on the discs.

Fortunately the disc content is wonderful. This set is my most anticipated, because it contains one of my favorite and least-seen (by me) eps, Adam's Ribs!

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I have to say that this cover is just hilarious.

It's obvious the bodies don't belong to either of the characters. The head looks like it was just attached, and the arms and hands don't look right either.

Don't know if the hands are actually theirs, but I guess Fox knew enough in any case to avoid showing Gary Burghoff holding up his left hand - since it is deformed.

I don't think it would take much effort to come up with a better cover.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Marc, you just made me realize something, Col. Blake is saluting with the wrong hand [​IMG]
    Sigh, There could have been the nice cast shot, and then they could have used location photos. The helipad, post-op, surgery, Col Potter's office, Col Blake's office, The Swamp, the O-Club, Rosie's, mess tent etc

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

The cover is awful! It really cheapens the show. Are these the only two actors in Season 3?

They should put the words: "The wacky adventures of Radar and Colonel Blake continue!"

Blah!

I'm just looking at my season 2 cover now and it's not that great either. Very amature! They should have a group shot of all the actors, for each season. Every season there are either cast changes or the actors look slightly different in appearance.

I hope to see fan art of this and other MASH covers.

Jeff

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

KAMI!! Please get to work on a good-looking M*A*S*H Season 3 cover, because this one is absolutely horrendous!

13. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I'm really pleased that complete seasons of MASH are coming out on DVD (especially with the option of turning off the laugh track!), but I hate the cover art on all 3 seasons so far. Even the Season 1 shot of the cast looks a bit like a cut-and-paste job. And the US flag everywhere is just tacky. It does cheapen the show, especially Season 3, which is in my opinion one of the best seasons of the entire series.

I wonder what they'll do for Season 4? Show Potter and BJ smilin' all big and cheesey like they couldn't be happier to be there?

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Look Blake is giving the vulcan salute. [​IMG]

15. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Just further reason for my belief that PhotoShop operators should be Federally licensed and regulated. [​IMG]
    Boy oh boy does that suck.

16. Coressel

I'd be happy with one season being a white box with a red cross and "M*A*S*H SEASON 1" stamped on it, or a green and red box with "M*A*S*H SEASON 2" stenciled across the front. Make it look Army issue. Another could resemble an overseas mail package with the title and "Dear Dad..." or something written on it.
    The simpler the better. Who's going to buy these anyway besides people who already know what it is? Those mug shots look like they're trying to market it to idiots might mistake it for Hogan's Heroes or something.

17. John_Berger

Don't you also love how Radar is saluting to the SIDE of his head? Looks more like he's scratching an itch on his right side.

Sheesh.

I realize that Ron wants us to stop bashing studios, but in this case Fox's cover design department deserves a good beating.

18. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

If I understand correctly from the above comments, it seems that Colonel Blake makes his last appearance in a SEASON 4 episode. Is that correct?

19. John_Berger

Blake left the show in episode #72 ("Abyssinia, Henry"), which was the season 3 finale.

BJ came in during episode #73 ("Welcome To Korea"), which is actually two 1/2-hour episodes (but it might have been a full hour when it was originally aired). Col. Potter appears in episode #74 ("Change Of Command").

20. Coressel

I find those "transitional" episodes (end of Season 3 to begining of Season 4, as well as the departure of Frank Burns and entrance of Charles) to be among the best of the series. The writing and over all tone of those programs is wonderful.

I guess I could live with the dorky cover art on MASH if it didn't take them 8 months to a year to release each season on DVD.