What's new

M*A*S*H: Movie vs. TV show (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
The final episode was originally broadcast in '83 without a laugh track. Smart move, but again there wasn't that much to laugh at in the first place.
I know, I'm being cruel to a 20 year-old tv program.
Time to get a life... ;)

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I know I'm in a distinct minority, but I think the movie M*A*S*H is great -- one of the best films ever -- but I absolutely and completely hate the TV show. To me, the TV show was a pale, white-washed version of the film with what was probably the most annoying fake laugh-track in television history. I also think the cast of the show was weak and full of actors with only marginally comedy skills, hence I never found it to be funny even once. And, finally, the show had Alan Alda - a smarmy and pompous actor whose most accurate depiction in anything, IMO, was when Woody Allen intercut him with images of Mussolini in the film Crimes and Misdemeanors. I think the show somewhat besmerches the memory of the film and would rather the show had been never made. Of course, I dislike most TV shows in general, so this is just my personal opinion and I respect the opinions of everyone who both disagree with me and -- more importantly -- vastly outnumber me. ;-)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I personally love the TV series. But to say how do I feel about the movie compared to the series, well, first I have to see it!

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Last night was my first viewing of the film. After so many years of the television show I expected the movie to feel like a 2-hour pilot episode. Boy, was I wrong.
The movie was fine but I didn't find it to be as funny as friends had described it and the football game seemed out of place to me. I'll watch it again in a few weeks and see if my opinion has changed.
By the way, I prefer After MASH. ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Reading this thread reminded me how much I enjoyed McLean Stevenson's Col. Blake way back when. Maybe I will pick up the first season DVD after all. The movie, like all of Altman's movies, I found way too pretentious for its own good. While it's certainly a better adaptation of Hooker's novel than the series, to which it bears nearly zero resemblance, my recollection is that Hooker also hated the movie (but that's a dim memory of an interview 25+ years ago, so I could be wrong on that).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks