1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

M*A*S*H Laughter Free Track

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan David, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Jonathan David

This is a question for Peter Staddon and any other members of the forum who might be in the know.
    If I remember correctly Peter, you once commented on the M*A*S*H laughter free track and how it was hard to come by.
    Is it possible to describe how you came to be able to get the elements to produce the laughter free track.
    I grew up here in the U.K. watching the laughter free track and recording every episode so it will be nice to replacing the 24 videos I have of M*A*S*H.
    Thanks In Advance
    ------------------

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There probably were stems with separate laughter free material. More than likely went into the archives for the sound material and just remixed them without the canned laughter.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Blimey, I'd hope that we can always get the version without laughter. BBC2 occaisionally cocked-up and showed the first section of an episode with the laughter and it was just awful.
    This isn't a MASH thing really. Nearly every comedy can benefit from no laughter track - live audience reactions being an exception. I'm fairly sure when C4 showed 'Dream On' many years ago it was sans laughter. I don't know if this was what it was always like or the U.S. market got it with canned laughter.

4. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Auditioning

I think that the difference between DREAM ON with a live studio audience laugh track, and no laugh track, would be small.
    Jeff

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If you want to remember why you hate laughter tracks, turn your back to the screen and just listen for some time without looking (I'm forced to do this rather often, when my kids are watching a series while I happen to be reading a book or something).
    Cees