What's new

M (1951)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: M

Tagline: The most gripping motion picture you've ever seen!

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Joseph Losey

Cast: David Wayne, Howard Da Silva, Martin Gabel, Luther Adler, Steve Brodie, Raymond Burr, Glenn Anders, Norman Lloyd, Walter Burke, John Miljan, Roy Engel, Jim Backus, Karen Morley, Virginia Farmer, Norman Leavitt, William Schallert, Madge Blake, Janine Perreau, Sherry Jackson, Tom Kennedy, Stanley Prager, William Schallert

Release: 1951-03-01

Runtime: 88

Plot: Remake of the 1931 original. In the city, someone is murdering children. The Police search is so intense, it is disturbing the 'normal' criminals, and the local hoods decide to help find the murderer as quickly as possible.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was wondering the same thing. Whats the point of starting them if you’re not going to participate in them Reggie?

I know you quit the forum a while ago but I get the feeling you miss us and want to participate again.;)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Surprised "M" has not been remade recently....which is a good thing. Never saw this release since it's never shown on tv that I can remember.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
It's a very good film on its own terms. If you're going to compare to the Lang classic, it may fall short. But the actors (Wayne especially) are top notch, urban atmosphere with real locations used (Bradbury bldg in particular). I think Losey's blacklisting had an effect on the film's distribution. Certainly worth anyone's time. The DVD that came out a few years ago is more than adequate.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I like it when someone starts a thread on a movie that's 67 years old--that I happened to have seen!

I saw it for the first time last year (TCM) and here are edited notes of my reactions (I cut out spoilers):

Pretty intense and very suspenseful. With some real laughs when they pick up the two crooks left behind in the Bradbury Building. Best use of Bradbury Building ever! The crooks raid the place and proceed to break into every store/office to find the “baby killer”.... I’ve never seen a scene quite like it. The finale...is a treatise on lynch mobs and vigilante justice....Great use of lots of other L.A. locations also. Did they shoot any of it in a studio? Maybe the police department scenes and David Wayne’s apartment. Raymond Burr plays Pottsy, a raspy voiced old-time gangster, who organizes the youthful street gangs to watch out for the killer.... He plays it in high style. He sits in a barber’s chair to pass out $ to the street gang leaders and as he walks out he spins the chair as if it were some threatening gesture. The depiction of the L.A. underworld is quite fanciful—no Mafia!—like something out of Damon Runyon and an old Warner Bros. pic like ANGELS WASH THEIR FACES or ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks