LYON Speaker Box / Speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by rrwalkertr, Aug 28, 2006.

1. rrwalkertr

rrwalkertr Auditioning

Hi guys. This is my first post here and i really hope i can find a few answers. My dad bought some speakers probably around 30 years ago or somewhere close. These speakers are really nice. Im not sure the brand of speaker but i know that on the back of the speaker box there is a metal tag that has LYON on it. also has a number like 1066 on one and 1068 on the other. says their general offices are in Aurora, ILL. I would like to know a little about who this LYON company is if anyone of you know. Now second, each box has a tweater and a sub. the tweater i have no idea what kind or type it is. it looks like its aluminum and has a longer looking cone coming out of it. the sub is a 12 inch woofer. he has a JBL cross over with a dial to adjust the treble i believe. I would like to maybe replace these cross overs that are on the box but i have no idea what to look for. i also wouldnt mind getting a little more power to the sub woofer so if anyone has a suggestion there i would love to hear it. i dont want to damage the speakers just want a little more bass out of them. i have a kenwood home theater system i have them hooked up to and you dont have to turn the volume up hardly at all with these speakers. anyway, thanks in advance. i will try to get some pics of them soon for u.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You can host them at sites like photobucket and put a link to them. I think you need a minimum of 5 posts before you can add a link.

-Robert

3. rrwalkertr

rrwalkertr Auditioning

Thanks for info. The woofer is a JBL Signature Speaker model D130. 8ohm impedance. here are some pictures of it. The reason i want to stick with these speakers is they were bought a long time ago by my dad and i really want to keep them. i need to replace the cross overs cause one of them has a short in the adjuster, you have to kind of move it real slightly to find a place that will allow the tweeter to work. they sound great as is, i just wanted a little more bass, not alot, just a little.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rrwalkertr

rrwalkertr Auditioning

well i was just speaking to someone and they said that since my kenwood recieve is already pushing 100 watts at least, that it wouldnt do me much good to add a small amp for the woofers. u guys agree with this? my reciever has 6 speakers with it, but when i hook these up i put it in stereo mode which only use the two fronts and my subwoofer. thanks.

5. rrwalkertr

rrwalkertr Auditioning

the tweeters are 2402H JBL Professionals, the guys at JBL said to cross these over at 3,000 (khz i guess?)

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If the tweeter level knob has a problem, just replace it. It's probably just a l-pad similar to this. I wouldn't get that exact one, I would try and find the exact replacement. Since this speaker uses JBL parts there are dozens of repair shops that work on classic speakers like this one. There are also some forums for older JBL speakers. A little searching should turn up a few.

As for the bass - add a sub. It will help your current speakers sound better by relieving them of having to reproduce the low bass. The Dayton 12 is one of the best value subs around. For more money you could step up to SVS or HSU (see the speaker section for more details) or build one yourself. Besides the TC Sounds sub I linked to earlier, there are hundreds other options. You could even create a sub to visually match your classic speakers.

-Robert