Lyle Lovett - where to start?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Philip Hamm, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Over the weekend I cought the last 4 songs of Lyle Lovett's performance on "Austin City Limits". I was absolutely floored. The songwriting, the musicianship, the quality of his voice, you name it. I need to buy some CDs. Help me out HTF faithful. Where do I start.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    If you want a good overview of his work, along with an electrifying performance by Lyle & his Large Band, pick up "Live In Texas". It's an ass-kicking set that showcases all the elements you named above.

If you want more after that (and you will), just start moving through the catalog. His original material is mostly great, and never less than very good. I also love his 2-disc tribute to Texas songwriters, "Step Inside My House" (the Guy Clark-penned title track of which has become one of my favorite songs ever).

3. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

I have seen Lyle Lovett 5 times with the full spectrum of band lineups- from, with "His Large Band", complete with horns and backup singers to him, a stand-up bass, cello and small drum kit all the way down to the man himself and a guitar- I have been absolutely captivated every time. I would agree with Craig in his recommendation to go through his catalog, starting with the self titled debut, the follow up Pontiac and then Lyle and His Large Band, all fantastic albums. Joshua Judges Ruth is a personal favorite.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of his releases. The man is a consumate professional both in the studio and on the stage. His dry wit and occasionally dark tones offer a balance not seen in today's popular singer-songwriters. I would easily put him in the same company as Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, Joe Henry and the like.

Not to drift too far off an a tangent, but if you like Lyle, you may enjoy Emmylou Harris' recent works such as Wrecking Ball, Stumble Into Grace and Red Dirt Girl. The first two graced in some form or fashion by Daniel Lanois, yet another incredible singer-songwriter as well as producer.

After you've saturated yourself with Lovett and Harris, move on to Joe Henry's Fuse, Scar and Tiny Voices. I could go on with further recommendations but I think maybe I'm moving a bit too far away from the original intent. Any Lyle Lovett release is highly recommended! I envy the thrill you'll have in discovering his works for the first time!

Man, can I ramble...
    Jimmy

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

You are aware aren't you that the stand-up bass player with Lyle Lovett is Allison Krauss' brother, Victor. Both products of Champaign, Illinois.

5. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

His Anthology Cowboy Man is pretty good[​IMG]

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Lovett did an excellent duet with Randy Newman on a song from one of my favorite films..."You've Got A Friend in Me" from Toy Story.

Just thought I'd add that to the mix. [​IMG]