Lying DVD Covers!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by jim.vaccaro, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Today, while in Target, I noticed the movie "Don Juan De Marco" for only $5.99. I already have this movie in a snapcase, it's non-anamorphic and the transfer is pretty lousy, but I think this is a cool movie (minus Bryan Adams, but we won't go there). Anyway, this particular version of "Don Juan De Marco" was in a keepcase vs. my snapcase, dated 2004, and said "enhanced for widescreen TVs". Hmmm. I thought this was a silent anamorphic upgrade, so I bought it. Come to find out when I get home that this is the same non-anamorphic letterboxed transfer as the 1998 DVD I already own! Grrr. Target won't take it back because it's been opened. I'm thinking of calling New Line and laying into them about inaccurate packaging. It's only $5.99, sure, but it's the principle of the thing.

2. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Universal did the exact same thing with "The Apostle." The VERY slightly revised DVD Cover now says "enhanced for widescreen TVs" and is the same non-anamorphic transfer as before. I wouldn't take no for an answer when I returned it to Best Buy, even when the sales clerk didn't understand that anamorphic and 'enhanced for widescreen TVs' are the same thing. He was trying to convince me that it says right on there that it is widescreen, as though I was complaining that it wasn't fullscreen. IDIOT!!!

I was pissed, but I ended up trading it for a new keepcase version of Austin Powers 2 to replace my snapper version. Something should be done about this stuff.

3. Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST Stunt Coordinator

I bought a favorite film, The Grass Is Greener, last year. I watch everything from DVDs to TV with closed captioning. On the box, it clearly states this film is closed captioned. It isn't. There are no subtitles or captioning at all. I wrote to the distributor (Republic, I think) and they replied in a snippy e-mail that I should return it to where I bought it. As others mentioned above, I couldn't because it was opened. I mailed it back to the distributor with a letter of complaint and never heard another word from them.

4. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

Thanks for posting on this topic...

I've seen The Apostle 'reissue' and was wondering.

Probably would have bought the 'new' Don Juan if I saw it for $6 as well.

Too bad 'good flicks on crap DVDs' aren't at the top of the list for HD, maybe I'd be more interested.

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Dude, speak to a manager if you have to but you should be able to get your money back.

You bought it under false pretenses. The case said it was anamorphic. The DVD is not. They will have to deal with it with their distributor but it is NOT your problem.

If you bought a fridge because it says it makes ice cubes but does not then you can and should return it. If Target sells you a TV and the box says color and it's black and white would you just say too bad?

forget the price. If you bought a new almond Snickers bar and there was regular peanuts inside would you not be entitled to a refund or replacement?

insist, you don't want to return the movie necessarily. You WANT to have it like it says in the package: "enhanced for widescreen TVs". Tell them that is what you paid for and that is what you want to walk out of the store with. If they cannot provide you with it then they must refund you so that you may continue to search for it elsewhere.

Don't let them rip you off, sets a bad precedend.

6. John Swarce

John Swarce Second Unit

One word....Cabaret

They re-released this with new packaging and "enhanced for widescreen displays" on the back, but it wasn't! Maybe when hi-def makes it on the scene...[​IMG]

John

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Outland....although its been discussed quite a bit. I never realized it was non-anamorphic until weeks later, and I couldn't find my receipt. I have half a mind to send it back to Warner Bros.

When stuff like this frustrates you, check here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7376

Regarding Don Juan De Marco:

...just need to be ALL REGION capable, perhaps deal with PAL speed up when necessary and you are good to go.

8. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Rolando,

Target is notorious for having an unflexible return policy. They stated they could only replace it with the exact same copy. Obviously that wouldn't do me any good. Anyway, trying to explain what anamorphic is to your average Jane is a challenge. I still think my best shot is with New Line, but I was unable to find any contact information on their website. [​IMG]

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

The jacket of my DVD of Halloween H20 boasts a Jamie Lee Curtis commentary. It doesn't have one!

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The dvd compare link above confirms your beef with the Halloween H20 dvd. It does say that the R2 transfer is the best, though no commentary is on any region of that dvd.